Glitchy Super-Fast Planet Rotation

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Darkspire
Space Floater

Glitchy Super-Fast Planet Rotation

#1 Post by Darkspire »

WinXP 32bit
4747 TestBuild

In the Menkalinan system is a Gas Giant, Menkalinan II, Its rotation is so fast it makes me dizzy watching it (okay I know, dont watch it). Sphere has no specials or anything that I can see that would cause it.

Save file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ja2f582w25f224c

Darkspire

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Gas Giant Problem

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If this just happens rarely, I don't think it's a bug really... It's possible for the distribution used to generate quite fast rotations.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#3 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Is there a "SetRotationSpeed" effect or somesuch? I remember reading something about it somewhere, but I don't remember where, and it's not used in the Slow Rotation special.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bigjoe5 wrote:Is there a "SetRotationSpeed" effect or somesuch?
No. Presently the universe generation check for specials with particular names, and sets planets' rotation speeds very low or stopped, or sets their axial tilt, accordingly. Adding such effects is on the programming work list, though.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by eleazar »

I've noticed this on a significant minority of planets since the addition of overlays. Most planets rotate slowly, but these few rotate close too or in excess of 1 rotation per frame. There doesn't seem to be anything inbetween slow and insanely fast.

Start a big galaxy with super testers, with high planets per system, and click on the arrows by the system name. You should see some pretty quick.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I couldn't find any with eleazar's method, but the save has one where described.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Should be fixed in SVN.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#8 Post by Zireael »

Downloaded yesterday's test version (4765 according to the installer, displays as 4747 in the window) and still see the problem. This time, it's a desert planet that is afflicted [Barnard I to be exact, left-down corner of the universe explored].

Will attach a save as soon as I get it out of the folder (btw, the bug with clicking a disc letter closing the FO and opening Windows Explorer is still there).

EDIT: Done!
Attachments
bug.zip
(39.62 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Looks fine for me in 4776.
Zireael wrote:... the bug with clicking a disc letter closing the FO and opening Windows Explorer is still there...
I don't know what you're talking about, so please post on the original thread, or make a new one to describe it more clearly.

Darkspire
Space Floater

Re: Glitchy Super-Fast Planet Rotation

#10 Post by Darkspire »

Why would one of the moderators change the topic title of this post?
I would and did not post such a tile, it comes across as insulting, I may not be the sharpest tool in the box but I know not to post topics with titles like the one my post has now.

Darkspire

Thinking about it im sure the original title was something along the lines of 'Planet Rotation Problem'
No insult intended by this post, I just dont like to come across as a troll or whatever those sorts of people are called.

Geoff the Medio

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The original title, or at least the title before I changed it, was "Gas Giant Problem". (This can be seen in the titles of replies, which are all "Re: Gas Giant Problem") I changed it because the problem is not an issue with gas giants, but rather is about planet rotation that is glitchy and super fast.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#12 Post by eleazar »

Darkspire wrote:Why would one of the moderators change the topic title of this post?
Because the original title was vauge and un-useful, and there are other current topics on Gas Giants.
I didn't do it, but i might have.
Darkspire wrote:Thinking about it im sure the original title was something along the lines of 'Planet Rotation Problem'
No, i think it was simply "Gas Giant Problem"-- or something along those lines-- no mention of "Rotation".

EDIT: Simultaneous post.