Effects?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Effects?

#31 Post by eleazar »

revision 4663
"adding more Dart00_tech updates to the stringtable.."

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#32 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Ill base my next set of edits off SVN to make life easier.

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#33 Post by qsswin »

I decided to try my hand at making one of these. I
[*]fixed changes uppercase/lowercase mistakes
[*]fixed some spelling and grammar errors
[*]changed dry-dock back to drydock
While Drydock is not a word, it looks a lot better than "dry-dock." Additionally, "dry-dock" is a verb that means "to put in a dry dock." Technically the right word would be "dry dock," but I assume we previously had "drydock" because it looks better and makes more sense in a space setting.

I release my changes under GPL 2 and CC BY-SA 3.
Last edited by qsswin on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#34 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:We are standardizing on American spelling, vs British, right? There were a lot of those too. I don't care which one, personally, but i changed things to American, since that's what i remember we're doing.
You broke a few strings in that change. In particular, the stringtable key line for OPTIONS_RESOURCE_STARLANE_colorING had the COLOUR replaced with color, but the keys appear to be case-sensitive. I've only noticed that one as missing in the UI, and found it in the stringtable, but there might be others if you just search and replaced without case checking. Probably none of the stringtable keys should be changed, as some C++ code may be expecting the initial spelling, even if it's not continentally consistent. This doesn't affect the player though, as the string keys are supposed to be visible in-game.

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#35 Post by qsswin »

I fixed that problem in this new patch.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#36 Post by Geoff the Medio »

qsswin wrote:I fixed that problem in this new patch.
The patch you posted is very oddly formatted... You appear to have produced a patch showing the difference between the 4663 stringtable file and a new file name newstringtable.txt. I can't do much with that. If you're making a new file, just post the file, or SVN add it locally before making a patch. If you're editing an existing file, which I think applies in this case, then just post a patch of changes to that file.

eleazar

#37 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:...I've only noticed that one as missing in the UI, and found it in the stringtable, but there might be others if you just search and replaced without case checking. Probably none of the stringtable keys should be changed, as some C++ code may be expecting the initial spelling, even if it's not continentally consistent. This doesn't affect the player though, as the string keys are supposed to be visible in-game.
My bad.
I intended to leave the keys alone, and didn't just run a blind search/replace. I looked at each instance before hitting "replace", though apparently i hit the wrong button at least once.

qsswin wrote:I decided to try my hand at making one of these. I
[*]fixed changes uppercase/lowercase mistakes
[*]fixed some spelling and grammar errors
[*]changed dry-dock back to dry dock
It's appreciated. At my best, i'm not a great copy editor.
qsswin wrote:While Drydock is not a word, it looks a lot better than "dry-dock." Additionally, "dry-dock" is a verb that means "to put in a dry dock." Technically the right word would be "dry dock," but I assume we previously had "drydock" because it looks better and makes more sense in a space setting.
I didn't realize "dry-dock" was just a verb, but you are right.
Probably we had "drydock" because several of the writing contributors (including myself) tend towards mushing words together. I think as this is a group project we'd better stick to standard usage except when the term is obviously part of the sci-fi setting-- stuff like: "homeworld" and "nanoreplication".

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#38 Post by qsswin »

That took a while to set up :P

I installed up the SDK since I decided that if I was using SVN I might as well go the whole way.
Well, here's my new stringtable diff, fresh from "svn diff > eng_stringtable.diff":

[The extension diff has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

eleazar

#39 Post by eleazar »

Great, it is revision 4690

I changed the references to "increasing ship's health" to "repair" or words to that effect,
otherwise, i put it all in.