Could we make a slight modification to infrastructure?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

Could we make a slight modification to infrastructure?

#1 Post by Dart00_Tech »

As iv been going though the string-table I cant help by wonder why Infrastructure is multiplied by 20? It would be a bit less confusing if we just made it a simple number per "jump"....

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Could we make a slight modification to infrastructure?

#2 Post by eleazar »

That would make sense once we decided to abandon the idea of any other sort of function for the meter and renamed it "Planetary Supply" or something like that.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Dart00_Tech »

eleazar wrote:That would make sense once we decided to abandon the idea of any other sort of function for the meter and renamed it "Planetary Supply" or something like that.
If Supply and Infrastructure meters are so alike we don't we just eliminate supply since Infrastructure does they same thing more efficiently? Iv never once had to reply on supply for anything because Infrastructure has taken care of all my needs for supplying fuel and resources. All my planets except the home world are at 0 supply anyway and im on turn 3000 and doing fine without it? Its a redudent feature that is unneeded in my opinion that just unnecessarily complicates things.

And I think having a "Supply" meter and a "Planet Supply" meter seems even more confusing....
Last edited by Dart00_Tech on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I think having a "Supply" meter and a "Planet Supply" meter seems even more confusing....
They should probably not be called those names then. "Resource Sharing Range", and "Fleet Supply Range" would perhaps be clearer.
Iv never once had to reply on supply for anything because Infrastructure has taken care of all my needs for supplying fuel and resources. All my planets except the home world are at 0 supply anyway and im on turn 3000 and doing fine without it?
It is difficult to judge the effectiveness and importance of a feature you're not using in a game with no effective opposition when the feature's importance depends on the presence of such opposition. The idea is that it should be a lot easier to extend fleet supply range than planet resource sharing range. That said, removing the distinction is something I've thought about and might be a worthwhile simplification.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Geoff the Medio wrote:They should probably not be called those names then. "Resource Sharing Range", and "Fleet Supply Range" would perhaps be clearer.
You just hit the nail on the head! 8)

And I think the required "presence of such opposition" for supply rarely comes up?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#6 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Dart00_Tech wrote:And I think the required "presence of such opposition" for supply rarely comes up?
That's basically what he's saying. In the future, such opposition will be present.

I'm currently playing a test game, and I've found being able to move ships far out of resource supply range by using the logistics focus to be extremely useful.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#7 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Bigjoe5 wrote:
Dart00_Tech wrote:And I think the required "presence of such opposition" for supply rarely comes up?
That's basically what he's saying. In the future, such opposition will be present.

I'm currently playing a test game, and I've found being able to move ships far out of resource supply range by using the logistics focus to be extremely useful.
Ah ok. I still vote for "Resource Sharing Range" (Infrastructure), and "Fleet Supply Range" (Supply) next time someone gets a itch to rename them again....

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:...That said, removing the distinction is something I've thought about and might be a worthwhile simplification.
I've considered that too, if for no other reason than it tends to be confusing to have to distinguish two different kinds of supply lines. I agree that a distinct, longer fleet supply line could be a useful part of the game. But i also think it is possible we could (with different content) make the game balanced and fun a unified supply line.

For instance later-game techs might allow fleets to be largely independent of supply lines, either through special hulls, parts, dedicated supply-producing ships, star-gates, or diplomatic access to allies empire's supply lines.

Even if you figure there's only a 40% chance that a single supply-line FO could work, it is probably worthwhile to try to make it work, until it is clear that it can't. Because if we can make it work a single, unified type of supply line is more KISS.