So far, colonizing doesn't seem to be possible, me?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

bodycode
Space Krill

So far, colonizing doesn't seem to be possible, me?

#1 Post by bodycode »

Well, I'm running V0.4 SVN 4635 MSVC 2010, on Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.

I'm playing as human, single player, no opponents (0 players).

Within my own system (Bragi), I have a "swamp planet". Looks colonizable, however, there's no other data on it. I also have a colony fleet in my own system.

No matter what I select (ship &/or fleet), can't colonize! All I get in the 3 listed planets in my system (Bragi 1/2/3), is "select colony ship to colonize". Now how do I go about doing that? I'm in my own system! No go on getting the planet to have a "colonize button". Any way to select an individual planet? Or is it actually not colonizable?

Thanks in advance. BTW, there's no "pop-up" or "fly-out" window that I've seen herein the forums.

Regards,
bodycode

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: So far, colonizing doesn't seem to be possible, me?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What species did you start with? If humans, I believe they are unable to colonize Swamp planets at the start of the game. Try exploring other systems to locate a Desert, Terran, or Ocean planet to colonize, move the colony ship there, and select it to make the Colonize button appear. If some other species, look them up in the Pedia and see which planet types they are Good or Adequate on, and try to colonize one of those.
BTW, there's no "pop-up" or "fly-out" window that I've seen herein the forums.
I don't know what you're referring to in this.

bodycode
Space Krill

#3 Post by bodycode »

Solved. Patience, patience is what I needed! Ran into a planet that is colonizable. I assumed that since a planet says "select a colony ship...." it means it's colonizable. Thanks for such an incredibly quick reply.

Regards,
bodycode

Adrian
Space Floater

#4 Post by Adrian »

Medio, is there a tech that allows hostile planets to be colonized or a hidden turn counter? It works later in the game, but i never noticed which tech enabled it. Is it the growth ones that increase population maybe?

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by unjashfan »

Medio, is there a tech that allows hostile planets to be colonized or a hidden turn counter? It works later in the game, but i never noticed which tech enabled it. Is it the growth ones that increase population maybe?
The Xenological Hybridization tech (which follows Xenological Genetics) allows the colonization of hostile planets (by increasing the max population to at least 1; incidentally, you can't colonize a planet with a colony ship that has a colonization capacity greater than the max population of the planet - the population will starve instantly)

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#6 Post by Bigjoe5 »

unjashfan wrote:
The Xenological Hybridization tech (which follows Xenological Genetics) allows the colonization of hostile planets (by increasing the max population to at least 1; incidentally, you can't colonize a planet with a colony ship that has a colonization capacity greater than the max population of the planet - the population will starve instantly)
What version are you using? I'm almost certain that that's not true (anymore?).
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Adrian
Space Floater

#7 Post by Adrian »

Thanks unjashfan for clarifying. I noticed the starvation too, but i made the mistake of choosing asteroids and gas giants, gotta be careful with that :P

tingling
Space Krill

#8 Post by tingling »

I had the same problem too (only tried it for 2 hours or so), but I chose Trith, and I know I can colonise Radiation planets, but can't colonise anything else. I read in a wiki that there's a habitability wheel or some sort.. but I can't find more info about that.. anyone with a link for me? I just wanted to find out what planets are for me or which aren't (btw.. all the planets I've can colonise.. are all tiny or small -.- and the large planets are all uncolonisable so far... kinda dampens the spirit a bit :p)

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#9 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Also if you research "Environmental Encapsulation" it unlocks "Outpost Ships" which can colonize anything with minimal population.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

tingling wrote:I just wanted to find out what planets are for me or which aren't...
Geoff the Medio wrote:If some other species, look them up in the Pedia and see which planet types they are Good or Adequate on, and try to colonize one of those.