Need some help....

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

Re: Need some help....

#16 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Adrian wrote:
Dart00_Tech wrote:If the Gaia building disappears from the planets built buildings list, how do I know if i have already applied the Gaia special?

If i do it multiple times does it increase the special?
Above the planet, where the "specials" are listed, there's a small icon for Gaia Transformation if that has been applied.
Ah..I didn't notice that...man i feel stupid....

Continuing on my use of questions....
1. I researched "System Defense Mines"...how do I use them? I don't see a new building or a new ship part?
2. I researched "Dimensional Cloak" which says it unlocks a ship part and "increases the stealth of all planets, systems and buildings by 55, however, all my planets are still at 15 stealth?

Thankyou again for continuing to help me along with my journey of FreeOrion.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#17 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Dart00_Tech wrote:1. I researched "System Defense Mines"...how do I use them? I don't see a new building or a new ship part?
There's nothing you need to do - the tech does exactly what it says it does.
Dart00_Tech wrote:2. I researched "Dimensional Cloak" which says it unlocks a ship part and "increases the stealth of all planets, systems and buildings by 55, however, all my planets are still at 15 stealth?
It looks like the values of the stealth bonuses given by EM Damper, Absorption Field, Dimensional Cloak, and Phasing Cloak were changed to 5, 10, 15 and 5 respectively, without the stringtable being altered.

As I mentioned before, you can turn on auto-generated effects descriptions in the options menu under UI to check the actual effects of a tech.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#18 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Bigjoe5 wrote:
Dart00_Tech wrote:1. I researched "System Defense Mines"...how do I use them? I don't see a new building or a new ship part?
There's nothing you need to do - the tech does exactly what it says it does.
Dart00_Tech wrote:2. I researched "Dimensional Cloak" which says it unlocks a ship part and "increases the stealth of all planets, systems and buildings by 55, however, all my planets are still at 15 stealth?
It looks like the values of the stealth bonuses given by EM Damper, Absorption Field, Dimensional Cloak, and Phasing Cloak were changed to 5, 10, 15 and 5 respectively, without the stringtable being altered.

As I mentioned before, you can turn on auto-generated effects descriptions in the options menu under UI to check the actual effects of a tech.
I meant how do i "deploy" the mines in my systems, to add like a "Friendsly Mine Special"? Or is that now how they work?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#19 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Dart00_Tech wrote:I meant how do i "deploy" the mines in my systems, to add like a "Friendsly Mine Special"? Or is that now how they work?
And I meant that tech does exactly what it says it does - you don't have to do anything.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#20 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Alrighty....

Now im confused about something else:

Why cant i make a outpost base on this planet if i get all "PASSED" and have a basic shipyard and drydock constructed? Also what exactly does a outpost base do?

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#21 Post by eleazar »

An outpost base is basically a outpost ship that can't leave the system. I.E. it's a cheaper way to colonize planets in a system where you already have a shipyard.

Same thing with Colony base.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#22 Post by em3 »

Ship designs for vessels that are unable to leave a system ("no starlane travel"?) should be marked somehow, I think... :|
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#23 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Dart00_Tech wrote:Why cant i make a outpost base on this planet if i get all "PASSED" and have a basic shipyard and drydock constructed? Also what exactly does a outpost base do?
Some minor species have the attributes of not being able to produce ships, and not being able to colonize planets, either of which would cause the problem you're having. Check which species is on that planet and look them up in the encyclopedia to get this information.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#24 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Bigjoe5 wrote:
Dart00_Tech wrote:Why cant i make a outpost base on this planet if i get all "PASSED" and have a basic shipyard and drydock constructed? Also what exactly does a outpost base do?
Some minor species have the attributes of not being able to produce ships, and not being able to colonize planets, either of which would cause the problem you're having. Check which species is on that planet and look them up in the encyclopedia to get this information.
Ah...A

[FAILED]: Source species is able to create structures and units.

would be a nice touch....

Also I just built a design with a "Self-Gravitating Hull" which says full for 50 structure but on the Star-Scape it shows the structure as 15...Ill be post pics if requested.
Last edited by Dart00_Tech on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Space Floater

#25 Post by Adrian »

This is really good thread, as it points out numerous confusing aspects for new players. Many aren't self evident (yet); i learned a lot from trial and error.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#26 Post by Dart00_Tech »

What can I do to increase the stealth meter for my planets...?

Adrian
Space Floater

#27 Post by Adrian »

In the Defense tab of research, and possibly also in the Ships tab, there are techs that should increase it. Haven't tested it though, and if stealth has an effect yet.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#28 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Dart00_Tech wrote:What can I do to increase the stealth meter for my planets...?
There are several techs in the ships category which are described as "Unlocks ship part X, and increases the stealth of all systems, planets and buildings by Y."

Note that the description for these isn't accurate right now - apparently, the magnitude of the stealth bonus was changed without the descriptions being changed.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#29 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Ya, im seeing a lot of the descryptions going south compared to the effects.

Ill download a tarball of all the updated txt files and cross refrence them all and see if i can bring them upto date.