Balancing Colony Output

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

N'Gah-K'Thun
Space Krill

Balancing Colony Output

#1 Post by N'Gah-K'Thun »

First - kudos to you from Yuggoth! You have the feel of the game correct. This is what is missing from ALL of the other 4x games I have attempted over the years :D

SE V doesn't have it, SOAS and SOTS totally didn't have it, and MOOIII definitely was missing it.

Second is a question - downloaded 3.17 and cannot get a secondary focus or balance "4 way" arrow to show for a colony per the wiki. Is this not yet implemented or am I missing something? It's an important early game requirement as keeping the lanes open and monster-free is difficult with a focus on expansion. Early colonies need to support themselves even when blockaded. Haven't had any problems building colony ships but have had a bit with resources. I can wait for the combat if the strategy works :lol:

This is the first interesting 4x project I've seen...

Cheers / Robert

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Balancing Colony Output

#2 Post by eleazar »

Thanks for the kind comments! :)

The balanced and secondary foci was removed from the game earlier. Often the documentation gets out of date.

I think there is general agreement that something needs to be added back in to allow a less focused production, and that's probably something we'll be "focusing" on after we finish up the 0.4.0 release.

N'Gah-K'Thun
Space Krill

#3 Post by N'Gah-K'Thun »

Documentation may be something I can assist on - am good at tech writing but no MHTML's under my belt yet, and couldn't program my way out of a bag! I could probably crank out a 4.0 set of instructions. If you are interested I have a MOOII guide junior and I updated that turned out pretty good for an example. Every bit of min-maxing everyone wrenched out of that game is fully documented :P

On the "focus" issue, maybe keep the focus button? It has the imperial feel of "go and do this." And possibly a default balance state at colonization and a balance button next to it that makes adequate food and spreads the rest out? Easy, simple, and it puts the penalty on the emperor if the citizens start to starve...

Cheers / Robert

eleazar

#4 Post by eleazar »

N'Gah-K'Thun wrote:Documentation may be something I can assist on - am good at tech writing but no MHTML's under my belt yet, and couldn't program my way out of a bag! I could probably crank out a 4.0 set of instructions. If you are interested I have a MOOII guide junior and I updated that turned out pretty good for an example. Every bit of min-maxing everyone wrenched out of that game is fully documented :P
Yes, please do. :D Our documentation is wiki-based, so all you need to do is get an account. It is to a large degree put together by the players.

N'Gah-K'Thun wrote:On the "focus" issue, maybe keep the focus button? It has the imperial feel of "go and do this." And possibly a default balance state at colonization and a balance button next to it that makes adequate food and spreads the rest out? Easy, simple, and it puts the penalty on the emperor if the citizens start to starve...
It's not a issue of buttons, but of math. The way foci are calculated doesn't make "spreading the rest out" practicable, as i understand it.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:Our documentation is wiki-based, so all you need to do is get an account.
To get an account on the wiki, pm me a username and optionally an email address. General account creation has been disabled due to spam registrants.

N'Gah-K'Thun
Space Krill

#6 Post by N'Gah-K'Thun »

PM sent - apologies for noob idea submission w/o reading design philosophy first - it's a good plan you have.

Cheers / Robert

eleazar

#7 Post by eleazar »

No apologies necessary. :)
I just usually takes some time to get oriented with the a large complicated project like this.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#8 Post by Zireael »

N'Gah-K'Thun - thanks for reminding me of updating the quick play guide. RL got in the way. Any mentions of balanced focus are now gone for good, I double checked. The guide should be relevant for all available .exe builds of 0.3.17 (from the Current Windows Builds thread) and for 0.4 RC 2.