Can a poor environment be terraformed?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

OllyG
Space Kraken

Re: Can a poor environment be terraformed?

#31 Post by OllyG »

When Terraforming is built, a sitrep message appears. At this stage the planet is unchanged.
Next turn the Terraforming building vanishes and the planet changes, but no sitrep message appears. At this point a message would be handy, so you could use the hyperlink to go to the planet and queue the next step of terraforming.
In general building destruction is something you would want to know about, so a sitrep message would be good.

On a happier note I have an empire now (v.3.17) with ocean and terran EP species and the terraforming is working fine for both. :)

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#32 Post by Bigjoe5 »

OllyG wrote:When Terraforming is built, a sitrep message appears. At this stage the planet is unchanged.
Next turn the Terraforming building vanishes and the planet changes, but no sitrep message appears. At this point a message would be handy, so you could use the hyperlink to go to the planet and queue the next step of terraforming.
In general building destruction is something you would want to know about, so a sitrep message would be good.
What should actually happen is that Terraforming should be a special project (not a building) which enacts its effect once, on the turn on which it is completed.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#33 Post by Geoff the Medio »

OllyG wrote:Next turn the Terraforming building vanishes and the planet changes, but no sitrep message appears. At this point a message would be handy, so you could use the hyperlink to go to the planet and queue the next step of terraforming.
That could be arranged with a suitable GenerateSitRepMessage effect on the terraforming building.

Gem Hound
Space Krill

#34 Post by Gem Hound »

Bigjoe5 wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot all about that. I made the terraforming building when the only two species were Trith and Gyisache, with individual effects groups for each species so that the planet would be terraformed in the right direction. Since eleazar added more species, Terraforming won't work on the new species. The current effects system doesn't make it very easy to make terraforming work properly for lots of different species with different EPs.
About that, couldn't you just make it look for the Planet Conditions and bump it up to a better level? Example: If the planet is Poor, bump it up to an Adequate version for the species that is being played. I don't know what programming language you are using but Example:
Terraforming built
Check Species
Check planet values for that species((Good, adequate, Poor, Hostile, Uninhabitable))
Check the value of the planet Terraforming was built on.
Change that value to a higher value
((If uninhabitable then hostile, If hostile then poor, If poor then adequate, If adequate then good))
((equal chance to be terraformed to any of the types of planets one rung higher))
Delete Terraforming building
End

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#35 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Gem Hound wrote:If the planet is Poor, bump it up to an Adequate version for the species...
There is a built-in / assumed ordering of planet types, so that it only makes sense to terraform (at least early in the game) between adjacent types. This is not necessarily consistent with the ordering of species preferences.
...that is being played.
Players may control empires with more than one species. No single species is "being played" in general.
I don't know what programming language you are using
The buildings and other content are primarily created using a non-programming content scripting format. Multi-step algorithms and branching logic are not generally supported.

Gem Hound
Space Krill

#36 Post by Gem Hound »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
...that is being played.
Players may control empires with more than one species. No single species is "being played" in general.
I forgot that. :facepalm:. I just yesterday spread three species throughout my empire. :facepalm:. Based on the planet's population then.
Geoff the Medio wrote:
I don't know what programming language you are using
The buildings and other content are primarily created using a non-programming content scripting format. Multi-step algorithms and branching logic are not generally supported.
I guess cross out that idea then.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#37 Post by eleazar »

I believe all the problems mentioned in this thread have already been fixed.

redindus
Space Floater

#38 Post by redindus »

It can, but depend on the situations, if the planets is too far from the sun that doesnt generate enough heats then it will cold environments. For example Barren worlds to arctic to tundra, that about far you can get. If there a barren worlds closer to the sun compare to earth it can be terran (barren-->arctic-->tundra-->terran). If too close and the worlds is barren would be arid or desert, but it would need some source of water.

Would like to see the system map on each system to be able to see the sun (if any) and their planets that is orbitting around the sun.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#39 Post by eleazar »

redindus wrote:It can, but depend on the situations, if the planets is too far from the sun that doesnt generate enough heats then it will cold environments. For example Barren worlds to arctic to tundra, that about far you can get. If there a barren worlds closer to the sun compare to earth it can be terran (barren-->arctic-->tundra-->terran). If too close and the worlds is barren would be arid or desert, but it would need some source of water.
Including those sorts of details is not part of the plan.