Iltar (planet bound spying race)

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

Iltar (planet bound spying race)

#1 Post by Krikkitone »

A paranoid spage age species convinced they live on the only world in the universe, and that it is flat

+++ Espionage
++ Possibility of Advanced/Precursor/Ancient technology present on HW
-- High resistance to joining an empire.. High likelihood of sabotage
-- will not colonize other planets
- Research

Description
The Iltar are a 0.6 m tall bipedal species with a cluster of long sensory/manipulator tentacles near the front of the body and a tail in the rear to stabilize the body in its normal horizontal position. Their reproductive cycle is complex (involving 4 sexes) and there is often a degree of difficulty in determining which 2 are the parents. Domesticated liquid acid-dwelling life forms near the coasts make up most of their food, which they metabolize with the reactive compunds in the atmosphere.

Their history records large sections of the world becoming dominated by organized cultural blocs or religions. These massive organizations engaged in continual struggle for dominance in control of the population and local political leaders. As such the political organizations and populations that developed in the industrial age carried over the fears of manipulation especially as those cultural organizations still played a dominant role in everyday life. Iltar are always deeply suspicious of others hidden motives, and as such are likely to hide their own motives.

Iltar social psychology has hindered the development of sciences, and has led to extreme resistance to new ideas. Technology seems to have stalled with the development of computer networks, although some secret societies are believed to possess and suppress knowledge of extreme technology. Most Iltar believe that their world is flat and that parts of it are hidden from them, and that evidence to the otherwise is the product of a conspiracy. The fact that Iltar science successfully proceeded into the nuclear age with missiles capable of circling their world is evidence to their ability to come up with complex counterintuitive explanations for phenomena. While they produced satellites and even battle platforms, they never regarded astronomical objects as any more then complex flaws in the sky. Extra terrestrial visitors are regarded as hoaxes from distant power blocs. (many Iltar nations attempted to establish dominant relations with others this way once advanced air travel was developed). Individual Iltar members of secret societies may be persuaded to leave on space ships and to pretend to cooperate with "extraterrestrial visitors" for their own benefit, but never regard any of it as real.

Iltar government is almost totally opaque. In most cases the dominant political powers on the planet appear to be relatively free representative governments. However, most Iltar believe that their governments are actually run by secret organizations, and there is evidence of manipulation of varying levels in different governments. While the evidence seems to indicate that there are secret organizations influencing government at significant levels, the fact that the evidence is there means that the Actual organizations influencing government are probably totally different. This makes it Very difficult to conduct diplomacy on the Iltar HW.

Homeworld
The Iltar HW is Toxic. Oceans of sulfuric acid cover much of the surface, with multiple small continents and island chains. there is evidence of several small nuclear wars, and evidence of various high tech buried structures, some evidence of a large nuclear war is present

Reason for staying
There is nowhere else to go. Any other "worlds" that they go to are obviously elaborate hoaxes, probably traps. Individual agents might go there, but there is no way you would get an Iltar to actually Live somewhere without going there themselves.
Last edited by Krikkitone on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Iltar (planet bound spying race)

#2 Post by eleazar »

Ok, i want another toxic-dwelling minor species.

* I don't have a clear idea of the appearance, i don't suppose one of the icons i've already made is close?

* I don't have a problem with the description, but your summary, especially using the term "earth" kinda cast the whole thing in the light of being just a parody of "flat-earther conspiracy theorists" humans. I don't know if that is your intention or not, but for the sake of the 4th wall, and making them interesting in their own right i'd like to see a little more uniqueness to them that goes beyond what you would get in an allegorical species of "unscientifics." Especially in the summary at the top.

Reason for staying
There is nowhere else to go. Why go to other "worlds" that are fictitious, don't buy the lie.
If the world is indeed infinitely large there are LOTs of other places to go. They would simply not believe the extra-terrestrials explanation about the means of travel-- but obviously they came from somewhere.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

Re: Iltar (planet bound spying race)

#3 Post by Krikkitone »

eleazar wrote:Ok, i want another toxic-dwelling minor species.

* I don't have a clear idea of the appearance, i don't suppose one of the icons i've already made is close?
well sort of like an armless velociraptor with the head+neck replaced with a cluster of tentacles
eleazar wrote: * I don't have a problem with the description, but your summary, especially using the term "earth" kinda cast the whole thing in the light of being just a parody of "flat-earther conspiracy theorists" humans. I don't know if that is your intention or not, but for the sake of the 4th wall, and making them interesting in their own right i'd like to see a little more uniqueness to them that goes beyond what you would get in an allegorical species of "unscientifics." Especially in the summary at the top.
True, it was quickly thrown together
eleazar wrote:
Reason for staying
There is nowhere else to go. Why go to other "worlds" that are fictitious, don't buy the lie.
If the world is indeed infinitely large there are LOTs of other places to go. They would simply not believe the extra-terrestrials explanation about the means of travel-- but obviously they came from somewhere.
I was thinking of that, perhaps they don't trust the idea of moving to a new location