3582 Build Errors, OS X 10.6

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

night
Space Kraken

Re: 3582 Build Errors, OS X 10.6

#91 Post by night »

Here's the content of freeorion.log:

Code: Select all

2011-06-17 23:18:11,031 ERROR Client : Could not open or read StringTable file "eng_stringtable.txt"
2011-06-17 23:18:11,213 ERROR Client : main() caught exception(GG::Font::BadFile): Face object created from "DejaVuSans.ttf" was invalid

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#92 Post by Geoff the Medio »

night wrote:

2011-06-17 23:18:11,031 ERROR Client : Could not open or read StringTable file "eng_stringtable.txt"
2011-06-17 23:18:11,213 ERROR Client : main() caught exception(GG::Font::BadFile): Face object created from "DejaVuSans.ttf" was invalid
I think both the stringtable and font files are expected to be in the default directory, which is itself in the root data directory.

night
Space Kraken

#93 Post by night »

The files are not missing. I can find them here:

FreeOrion.app/Contents/Resources/default/DejaVuSans.ttf
FreeOrion.app/Contents/Resources/default/eng_stringtable.txt

These paths should be correct.

Geoff the Medio

#94 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Try deleting config.xml. I think I changed the stored pathes for those files from relative to absolute recently, so if the old version is stored in your config.xml, that would explain the problem and be consistent with the error messages lacking a bunch of directory tree details before the final file name...

neuro
Space Squid

#95 Post by neuro »

The boost libraries you link to are just for filesystem and system (and a static_ptr_helper.o - not sure where this goes.) Do you have the other files? I'm downloading and re-building the latest from boost (1.46) and trying that.

FreeOrionServer
"_main", referenced from:

"boost::system::generic_category()", referenced from:

"boost::system::system_category()", referenced from:

"boost::signals::detail::call_notification::call_notification(boost::shared_ptr<boost::signals::detail::signal_base_impl> const&)", referenced from:

"boost::signals::detail::named_slot_map::end()", referenced from:

"boost::signals::detail::named_slot_map::begin()", referenced from:

"boost::signals::detail::call_notification::~call_notification()", referenced from:

"boost::signals::trackable::~trackable()", referenced from:

"boost::signals::detail::signal_base::~signal_base()", referenced from:

"boost::signals::detail::signal_base::signal_base(boost::function2<bool, boost::signals::detail::stored_group, boost::signals::detail::stored_group> const&, boost::any const&)", referenced from:

"ServerApp::GetApp()", referenced from:

"ServerApp::GetUniverse()", referenced from:

"ServerApp::Empires()", referenced from:

"boost::filesystem2::detail::dir_itr_close(void*&, void*&)", referenced from:

"boost::filesystem2::detail::dir_itr_increment(void*&, void*&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&, boost::filesystem2::file_status&, boost::filesystem2::file_status&)", referenced from:

"boost::filesystem2::detail::not_found_error()", referenced from:

"boost::filesystem2::detail::dir_itr_first(void*&, void*&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&, boost::filesystem2::file_status&, boost::filesystem2::file_status&)", referenced from:

"boost::filesystem2::detail::status_api(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, boost::system::error_code&)", referenced from:

"boost::this_thread::sleep(boost::posix_time::ptime const&)", referenced from:

"ClientApp::GetApp()", referenced from:

"ClientApp::EmpireID() const", referenced from:

"boost::filesystem2::detail::get_current_path_api(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&)", referenced from:

"boost::filesystem2::detail::create_directory_api(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)", referenced from:

night
Space Kraken

#96 Post by night »

WTF?! I deleted all files in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/FreeOrion to get clean logs and all of a sudden the game works!

Geoff the Medio

#97 Post by Geoff the Medio »

night wrote:WTF?! I deleted all files in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/FreeOrion to get clean logs and all of a sudden the game works!
If that included config.xml, that makes sense. See my previous post.

night
Space Kraken

#98 Post by night »

<EDIT>
Here are my Boost includes, so you do not have to do all the svn stuff.
</EDIT>

Just get Boost from their svn:

svn co http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk boost-trunk
Replace the include files in freeorion-sdk/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/local/include/boost with those you got from svn.

Now you should only have linker errors left when you try to build FreeOrion.

Build the i386 version of the Boost libs now (or try to use my files first so you do not have to wait).

Some libs won't compile, but you will still get the .o files.

Have a look at the linker errors now. You will see that they are all somehow related to a part of boost like:

boost::filesystem3:: ...
Then just import the .a/.o file of the respective lib into your target and put it at the top of the list.
Last edited by night on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

night
Space Kraken

#99 Post by night »

When I try to start a new game, it crashes again:

main() caught exception(std::runtime_error): bind: Address already in use

Geoff the Medio

#100 Post by Geoff the Medio »

night wrote:When I try to start a new game, it crashes again:

main() caught exception(std::runtime_error): bind: Address already in use
Seems to be a Unix networking problem... Something's already using the port that FreeOrion is trying to use to connect between the client and server, or perhaps FreeOrion crashing after starting a game before left the port busy?

I believe the relevant ports are 12345 and 12346.

If you could find the line, function or library call where that crash happens though, it'd be useful... There should probably be a try / catch block around it to show an error instead of crashing.

night
Space Kraken

#101 Post by night »

The error could be in ClientNetworking.cpp in line 184.

try {
        for (tcp::resolver::iterator it = resolver.resolve(query); it != end_it; ++it) {
            m_socket.close();
            boost::asio::deadline_timer timer(m_io_service);
            if (TRACE_EXECUTION)
                Logger().debugStream() << "ClientNetworking::ConnectToServer : attempting to "
                                       << "connect to server at " << ip_address;
            m_socket.async_connect(*it, boost::bind(&ClientNetworking::HandleConnection, this,
                                                    &it,
                                                    &timer,
                                                    boost::asio::placeholders::error));
            timer.expires_from_now(timeout);
            timer.async_wait(boost::bind(&ClientNetworking::CancelRetries, this));
            m_cancel_retries = false;
            m_io_service.run();
            m_io_service.reset();
            if (Connected()) {
                m_socket.set_option(boost::asio::socket_base::linger(true, SOCKET_LINGER_TIME));
                if (TRACE_EXECUTION)
                    Logger().debugStream() << "ClientNetworking::ConnectToServer : starting "
                                           << "networking thread";
184 --->                boost::thread(boost::bind(&ClientNetworking::NetworkingThread, this));
                break;
            }
        }
    } catch (const std::exception& e) {
        Logger().errorStream() << "ClientNetworking::ConnectToServer unable to connect to server at " << ip_address << " due to exception: " << e.what();
    }
I'll go to bed now.

neuro
Space Squid

#102 Post by neuro »

Thanks night! I grabbed the latest from svn, copied over the boost lib, and was recompiling. But it's quicker to just use your libs.

I'll follow your steps and try to catch up before I crash tonight.

Thanks again.

Geoff the Medio

#103 Post by Geoff the Medio »

night wrote:The error could be in ClientNetworking.cpp in line 184.

184 --->                boost::thread(boost::bind(&ClientNetworking::NetworkingThread, this));
[...]
    } catch (const std::exception& e) {
I think std::runtime_error is derived from std::exception, so if that line was where the exception was thrown, it should presumably be caught by the catch block there, avoiding a crash, since the exception is not re-thrown.

Also, from what I'm reading, the "bind" in the error message doesn't appear to be boost::bind but rather is something to do with sockets. There are lots of hits on google for "bind: Address already in use" that appear to be non-boost related.

night
Space Kraken

#104 Post by night »

The exception is thrown before line 184 is executed. I created some breakpoints just before that line.
I start the game, then I click on Quick Start, after that I get the bind exception. When I go on everything works up to line 184 where the game crashes.
I set TRACE_EXECUTION to true in ClientNetworking.cpp and got this log:

2011-06-18 08:37:43,942 DEBUG Client : OpenAL initialized. Version 1.1Renderer SoftwareVendor Apple Computer Inc.
Extensions: AL_EXT_OFFSET AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE AL_EXT_EXPONENT_DISTANCE AL_EXT_float32 AL_EXT_STATIC_BUFFER

2011-06-18 08:37:45,661 DEBUG Client : BuildDesignatorWnd::BuildSelector::Refresh()
2011-06-18 08:37:45,959 DEBUG Client : PartsListBox::Populate time: 0.007
2011-06-18 08:37:46,367 DEBUG Client : Limited FPS to 60
2011-06-18 08:37:46,386 DEBUG Client : HumanClientApp::HumanClientApp window size: 1920x1080 at 0x0
2011-06-18 08:37:46,386 DEBUG Client : OpenGL Version Number: 2.1
2011-06-18 08:37:46,386 DEBUG Client : (HumanClientFSM) IntroMenu
2011-06-18 08:37:46,386 DEBUG Client : (HumanClientFSM) IntroMenuIdle
2011-06-18 08:37:46,390 DEBUG Client : HumanClientApp::Enter2DMode()
2011-06-18 08:37:50,837 DEBUG Client : ClientNetworking::ConnectToServer : attempting to connect to server at 127.0.0.1
2011-06-18 08:37:50,837 DEBUG Client : ClientNetworking::HandleConnection : connected
2011-06-18 08:37:50,837 DEBUG Client : ClientNetworking::ConnectToServer : starting networking thread

Geoff the Medio

#105 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Does the bind problem keep happening after a system reboot?

Can you find out if anything else is running that's using network ports 12345 or 12346 on your system?

What do you mean by you "get the bind exception" but are then able to continue on? Is the exception being thrown / reported by the client, or the server that the client launches when you try to start a game? If the latter, there's probably a freeoriond.log file being created as well, and the client's crash isn't directly due to the exception, but is a secondard consequence of the resulting failure of networking stuff to be set up properly...