How to compile rev.3955

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

PL_Andrev
Space Floater

How to compile rev.3955

#1 Post by PL_Andrev »

Sorry, this is magic for me...

I use rev. 3785 and I think that its time to build new version of this game.

1. Download last rev by SVN... done.

2. Open the correct file to compile... done.

3. Many errors disappear during compilation, but two kinds only:

Code: Select all

1>------ Build started: Project: GiGi, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>AlignmentFlags.cpp
1>e:\Free Orion\trunk\FreeOrion\GG\GG/Base.h(45) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/cstdint.hpp': No such file or directory
1>Base.cpp
1>e:\Free Orion\trunk\FreeOrion\GG\GG/Clr.h(34) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/serialization/access.hpp': No such file or directory

5>Compiling...
5>ValueRefParser.cpp
5>e:\Free Orion\trunk\FreeOrion\GG\GG/Enum.h(33) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/config.hpp': No such file or directory
5>FileAppender.cpp
5>..\..\..\log4cpp\src\FileAppender.cpp(37) : warning C4996: 'open': The POSIX name for this item is deprecated. Instead, use the ISO C++ conformant name: _open. See online help for details.
5>        D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008\VC\include\io.h(316) : see declaration of 'open'
5>..\..\..\log4cpp\src\FileAppender.cpp(54) : warning C4996: 'close': The POSIX name for this item is deprecated. Instead, use the ISO C++ conformant name: _close. See online help for details.
Of course this is a part of similar errors only...
Any ideas how to solve it?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: How to compile rev.3955

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Did you get the FreeOrion SDK, or just the source code? Have you built FreeOrion previously on that system?

I suggest getting MSVC 2010 Express, and getting the MSVC 2010 version of the SDK, and the MSVC 2010 project files though it should be possible to use 2008...

Sourceforge web SVN access seems to be down, so I can't easily check when revision 3785 was modified, but the SDK for MSVC 2008 might also have been updated since thing, in which case you'd need to download that again.

PL_Andrev
Space Floater

#3 Post by PL_Andrev »

Geoff the Medio wrote:1. Did you get the FreeOrion SDK, or just the source code?
2. Have you built FreeOrion previously on that system?
1. No. Only the source code available to download by TortoiseSVN application.
2. Not again. It was not possible on my machine, so I unzipped revision available as TAR.GZ file and put onto FO. (I'm not remember accurate, I put info about it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4208&start=30
Geoff the Medio wrote:I suggest getting MSVC 2010 Express, and getting the MSVC 2010 version of the SDK, and the MSVC 2010 project files though it should be possible to use 2008...
Sourceforge web SVN access seems to be down, so I can't easily check when revision 3785 was modified, but the SDK for MSVC 2008 might also have been updated since thing, in which case you'd need to download that again.
Ok, I downloaded SDK... which installation sequence should be used?
1. SDK first, to this directory update SVN revision files
2. Copy SDK file into directory where last revision was updated
?

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

PL_Andrev wrote:Ok, I downloaded SDK... which installation sequence should be used?
* Download and unzip the 2010 SDK.

* Within the SDK directory, SVN update to the lastest revision of FreeOrion (which will automatically update to the latest GG).

* Open the msvc2010 .sln file.

* Build Solution.

The 2008 SDK works similarly, though may require one other thing to be downloaded... I don't remember off the top of my head, and can't immediately check.

PL_Andrev
Space Floater

#5 Post by PL_Andrev »

I tried to build a 3956 compilation with MSVC2010 - new problems spotted during compile process (log as attachment), but finally...

========== Build: 6 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Now, what can I do now?
I thought that the exe file will be created after compilation, in fact there are 3 application files created at E:\Free Orion\FreeOrion directory:
  • FreeOrion.exe - (translated) FreeOrion post-v0.3.15 [SVN 3947]: FreeOrion.exe - incorrect image: application or library DLL E:\Free Orion\FreeOrin\wrap_oal.dll is not correct image of Windows NT system. Check it with installation disk.
    FreeOrionD.exe - windows with text "FreeOrion server waiting for network events."
    FreeOrionCA.exe - some window created and closed immediately,
No other exe files...
I don't know what is a reason to incorrect rev at error message - why "FreeOrion post-v0.3.15 [SVN 3947]" if it was build with rev.3956?

Some ideas?
Maybe should I change some files with existing and working version of FO [SVN 3785] on my machine?
Attachments
msvc2010_fo_3956.log
(42.65 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

PL_Andrev wrote:I tried to build a 3956 compilation with MSVC2010 - new problems spotted during compile process (log as attachment)
There are no errors in the log...
I thought that the exe file will be created after compilation, in fact there are 3 application files created at E:\Free Orion\FreeOrion directory:
The human client (FreeOrion.exe), server (FreeOrionD.exe) and AI client (FreeOrionCA.exe) are all separate executables. You want to run the human client. That will launch the server when you start a game. The server starts AIs if any are needed.
FreeOrion.exe - (translated) FreeOrion post-v0.3.15 [SVN 3947]: FreeOrion.exe - incorrect image: application or library DLL E:\Free Orion\FreeOrin\wrap_oal.dll is not correct image of Windows NT system. Check it with installation disk.
I don't understand what you've written here... where is that text shown?

What version of Windows are you using?

I'm guessing you've got a damaged version of wrap_oal.dll? What is the file size in bytes? I have 466,456 bytes, which should be the version in the 2010 SDK. You could try copying the (different) version that came with the v0.3.15 installer, or googling for a download.
I don't know what is a reason to incorrect rev at error message - why "FreeOrion post-v0.3.15 [SVN 3947]" if it was build with rev.3956?
Because the version number wasn't updated in msvc2010/src/Version.cpp
Maybe should I change some files with existing and working version of FO [SVN 3785] on my machine?
If you've built the latest SVN and can get into it to see a version number, it's probably working fine... Or can you clarify what the problem is now?

PL_Andrev
Space Floater

#7 Post by PL_Andrev »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
FreeOrion.exe - (translated) FreeOrion post-v0.3.15 [SVN 3947]: FreeOrion.exe - incorrect image: application or library DLL E:\Free Orion\FreeOrin\wrap_oal.dll is not correct image of Windows NT system. Check it with installation disk.
I don't understand what you've written here... where is that text shown?

What version of Windows are you using?

I'm guessing you've got a damaged version of wrap_oal.dll? What is the file size in bytes? I have 466,456 bytes, which should be the version in the 2010 SDK. You could try copying the (different) version that came with the v0.3.15 installer, or googling for a download.
System: XP SP3
wrap_oal.dll: 466,456

After compiling I tried to start this file:

And have this message:

FreeOrion post-v0.3.15 [SVN 3947]: FreeOrion.exe - incorrect image
Application or library DLL E:\Free Orion\FreeOrin\wrap_oal.dll is not correct image of Windows NT system.
Check it with installation disk.

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The problem might be an incompatibility between XP and later version of some DLLs. Could you try renaming wrap_oal.dll to something else wrap_oal.dll.bak and trying again? If it complains that that file is missing, try finding the one from the installed version of FreeOrion (v0.3.15).

PL_Andrev
Space Floater

#9 Post by PL_Andrev »

Geoff the Medio wrote:The problem might be an incompatibility between XP and later version of some DLLs. Could you try renaming wrap_oal.dll to something else wrap_oal.dll.bak and trying again? If it complains that that file is missing, try finding the one from the installed version of FreeOrion (v0.3.15).
Partially success!

Without wrap_oal.dll game was crashed. I used old DLL from old working version of FO and it works.
My firewall reported that all exe files tried to connect with internet (allowed). It is correct?
Anyway, game generates the universe and freeoriond.exe reported that is crashed.
After closing error report nothing happened (game is generating the universe).

"freeoriond.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for inconvenience."

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

PL_Andrev wrote:My firewall reported that all exe files tried to connect with internet (allowed). It is correct?
It doesn't actually try to connect to the internet; it sends information between the server and client using messaging to localhost, which is your own computer, but some firewalls report this as internet access.
Anyway, game generates the universe and freeoriond.exe reported that is crashed.
Based on your missing text in that window title, you might have the game looking at out of date content files due to having previously installed a released version. Locate and delete config.xml and try again. If crashes still happen, locate and post (as attachment, unless under 20 lines) freeoriond.log which should be in the same place as config.xml.

PL_Andrev
Space Floater

#11 Post by PL_Andrev »

It works now!

Thank you very much for you help, Geoff!