Reorganizing Species Descriptions (species Designers Read!)

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
MikkoM
Space Dragon

Re: Reorganizing Species Descriptions (species Designers Read!)

#16 Post by MikkoM »

eleazar wrote:but i also want the list to be useful, and without Eleazar's Rating there's no way to sort the well-developed ones from the undifferentiated stereotypes.
Yes, the ratings do provide something that can be used to organize the species. And even with the Eleazar's Ratings others can still form their own opinions about the species on that list. Although I suspect that the ratings don`t particularly encourage people to do so, at least when compared to a list without the ratings. So all in all the ratings don`t particularly prevent anything, but neither do they give a sense of objectivity.

Does anyone else have an opinion about the ratings? (Should they only be found from "Eleazar's personal evalutation of Species ideas" thread or be used together with the new wikipage too?)
Last edited by MikkoM on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#17 Post by eleazar »

I added a disclaimer to the wikipage: "* "Eleazar's Rating" is a simplified form of his personal evaluation found in this thread. It is neither official, nor final, but is offered for what it's worth as a tool to help sort through species descriptions."

Does that make you feel better?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#18 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I added "* If other users are inclined to create evaluation threads of their own, their ratings could perhaps in the future be combined with "Eleazar's Rating" to provide an overall averaged rating," so that other users are encouraged to help provide a rating that reflects the overall opinion of the community. Of course, I'm don't really mind having just "Eleazar's Rating", but I thought it would be good to make it clear to everyone that no single individual has a monopoly on species evaluation.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#19 Post by MikkoM »

eleazar wrote:I added a disclaimer to the wikipage: "* "Eleazar's Rating" is a simplified form of his personal evaluation found in this thread. It is neither official, nor final, but is offered for what it's worth as a tool to help sort through species descriptions."
Bigjoe5 wrote:I added "* If other users are inclined to create evaluation threads of their own, their ratings could perhaps in the future be combined with "Eleazar's Rating" to provide an overall averaged rating," so that other users are encouraged to help provide a rating that reflects the overall opinion of the community. Of course, I'm don't really mind having just "Eleazar's Rating", but I thought it would be good to make it clear to everyone that no single individual has a monopoly on species evaluation.
Nice additions. :)
eleazar wrote:Does that make you feel better?
Well, you could still add the scale that you are using with the Eleazar`s ratings to the wikipage. ;) I assume that it is from 5 to 1.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by eleazar »

Bigjoe5 wrote:I added "* If other users are inclined to create evaluation threads of their own, their ratings could perhaps in the future be combined with "Eleazar's Rating" to provide an overall averaged rating," so that other users are encouraged to help provide a rating that reflects the overall opinion of the community.
Let them have their own column, unless we start getting too many rating columns (an unlikely problem for the foreseeable future). Future users of the list will likely find they prefer one rating or another.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#21 Post by Bigjoe5 »

eleazar wrote:Let them have their own column, unless we start getting too many rating columns (an unlikely problem for the foreseeable future). Future users of the list will likely find they prefer one rating or another.
That's true - I was worried that there might end up being too many columns, but now that you mention it, that's not exactly going to be likely.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#22 Post by utilae »

I like this wiki idea. It's good stuff.