Problems running on SuSE Linux with OpenGL 1.4

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

strooka
Space Kraken

Problems running on SuSE Linux with OpenGL 1.4

#1 Post by strooka »

I saw that the OpenGL Version String is1.4.
I have à Laptop with that graphics Card and Suse Linux, too, but i cant Run the actual Version. I thought with ver1.4 you couldn't Run the Game at all?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Statically linked Linux-version

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

strooka wrote:I thought with ver1.4 you couldn't Run the Game at all?
As far as I know, the OpenGL 1.4 minimum requirements don't seem to be enough to run FreeOrion. Sometimes a particular card will support more than the 1.4 requirements, though, but still be missing support for something required to qualify as supporting 1.5. So, sometimes FreeOrion will start on OpenGL 1.4 systems, but might crash when trying to actually start a game due to something 1.5 related that's missing...

strooka
Space Kraken

#3 Post by strooka »

I'll try to find out what the differences are that let ver3.11 Run with OpenGL 1.4 and 3.13 Not.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

strooka wrote:I'll try to find out what the differences are that let ver3.11 Run with OpenGL 1.4 and 3.13 Not.
I think the main issue is stuff inside OGRE that crashes when trying to start up on OpenGL 1.4 systems.

However given this limitation is apparently unavoidable with OGRE, there were also some alternative rendering code in the MapWnd that was removed after switching to using OGRE. This code used to be available to make FreeOrion run on OpenGL 1.4, but didn't matter after OGRE was used. If I recall correctly, this alternative code avoided using vertex buffer objects, or used the OpenGL extension version of these calls, rather than assuming they'd be available in the core API. See FreeOrion SVN revision 2794, for example.

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

strooka wrote:yes, that is where it crashes.
Since I listed two possibilities, could you clarify which is where things crash?

strooka
Space Kraken

#6 Post by strooka »

On the ogre Homepage, there is written that ogre Runs with OpenGL 1.2 As Minimum requirement.

My ogre 1.4 configuration crashes when the 3D Display Buffers are Set up , while starting up "AI" when using fo3.11.

3.13 crashes with à Black screen when executing the humanclientapp::Run() method.
Maybe i can debug it à Little Bit further....

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

strooka wrote:On the ogre Homepage, there is written that ogre Runs with OpenGL 1.2 As Minimum requirement.
[...]
3.13 crashes with à Black screen when executing the humanclientapp::Run() method.
Does that apply to the version of OGRE in the SDK, or just the latest version? An update of the OGRE version used might help.

strooka
Space Kraken

#8 Post by strooka »

in order to run with openGL1.4 you have to :

Code: Select all

void OgreGUI::Enter2DMode()
{

#else
    UseProgramARBFn glUseProgramARB = (UseProgramARBFn)glXGetProcAddress((const GLubyte* )"glUseProgramARB");
#endif
    //if (glUseProgramARB)
    //    glUseProgramARB(0);
disable the lines above in GG.

however,
i discovered theese errors while running the game:

as i executed fo with --tech-demo:

main() caught exception(std::exception): OGRE EXCEPTION(7:InternalErrorException): Error configuring batched geometry transitions. If you're using materials with custom vertex shaders, they will need to implement fade transitions to be compatible with BatchPage. in BatchPage::_updateShaders() at /home/marcel/Documents/prog/freeorion/FreeOrion/UI/PagedGeometry/BatchPage.cpp (line 372)
AL lib: ALc.c:1874: exit(): closing 1 Device
AL lib: ALc.c:1798: alcCloseDevice(): destroying 1 Context(s)
AL lib: ALc.c:1394: alcDestroyContext(): deleting 16 Source(s)
AL lib: ALc.c:1808: alcCloseDevice(): deleting 2 Buffer(s)

as i ran fo and tried to load a game:

marcel@linux-1dlw:~/Documents/prog/freeorion/FreeOrion> ./freeorion
freeoriond": /home/marcel/Documents/prog/freeorion/FreeOrion/network/ServerNetworking.cpp:108: void PlayerConnection::EstablishPlayer(int, const std::string&, bool): Assertion `player_name != ""' failed.

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

strooka wrote:as i ran fo and tried to load a game:

marcel@linux-1dlw:~/Documents/prog/freeorion/FreeOrion> ./freeorion
freeoriond": /home/marcel/Documents/prog/freeorion/FreeOrion/network/ServerNetworking.cpp:108: void PlayerConnection::EstablishPlayer(int, const std::string&, bool): Assertion `player_name != ""' failed.
Are you running freeoriond or freeorion? If the former, why?

If the latter, does this only happen on the GL 1.4 system? Check the human client log files after having that happen, as it might indicate why the (presumably) human client couldn't connect properly to the server. I'd guess the human client crashed in the MapWnd while the server was trying to connect to it or when sending game updates.

strooka
Space Kraken

Re: Problems running on SuSE Linux with OpenGL 1.4

#10 Post by strooka »

IT DID RUN :mrgreen:

although it was hardly playable cause i had a very poor computer configuration - with software rasterrizer etc.

i could play it - even the combat.

those last errors i reported seem come from previosly crashed fo instances - and i had to run it in fullscreen with the lowest resolution - fo did hardly respond, cause my computer was so small sized. it was an eee pc.

strooka
Space Kraken

Re: Problems running on SuSE Linux with OpenGL 1.4

#11 Post by strooka »

With Updated graphics drivers - the Standard Open Suse Hardware acceleration i got it Running on opengl1.4 in an acceptable Speed and the Fleet Move Lines were visible, too.