Coding Tools

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

strooka
Space Kraken

Re: Coding Tools

#16 Post by strooka »

Are there any good Starter docs for vi?

Maz
Space Floater

#17 Post by Maz »

vimtutor and google :)

mrSpaceman
Space Floater

#18 Post by mrSpaceman »

So I'd like to use Eclipse on Windows for my FO code development. Eclipse is what I'm used to and it's what I like. 8)

My coding forte is not C++, unfortunately. I was hoping that by doing a little on this project I could improve my experience with the language. I'm a much more seasoned Java programmer, for which I always used Eclipse (it was nearly netBeans, tho' I'm afraid history didn't take that course). More recently, for my studies, I have been coding in IDL with their Eclipse-based IDE. I've also done a small amount of C++ using Eclipse, tho' nothing on the scale of FO.

I've had a look at the wiki guide to compiling FO with Eclipse on Linux: http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Compile_With_Eclipse :!:

:arrow: Right: so I've followed the instructions on the wiki guide up to the point where it suggests I compile the GG code in the console. So I don't have a Linux console, and therefore I'm stuck. :cry: I'm not using Linux - tho' I might do so concurrently, my present task is to set up dev on my windows desktop. I'll try Linux later!

I intend to google around for a solution:
  • Can I compile it in Eclipse?
  • Can I use a DOS command line to compile?
Any suggestions posted here that might be helpful would be appreciated! I'll also post up what I find (for the next person).

- mrS

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It is possible to set up a DOS script system to compile FreeOrion on Windows, though there isn't one set up currently. Previously we've had such a system, using SCons, but that's no longer supported. For now, there might be a way to get CMake to give you a command line build method, though I'm somewhat guessing about that. If it can't be done with CMake, it's going to be a pain to use long term, as I don't think anyone will be able to help you with it, and it won't be consistent with the build files in SVN, so it will be a lot more trouble to maintain your build system in future.

It may be possible to build FreeOrion within Eclipse, if you can set it up to work using the Visual Studio compiler. If Eclipse has its own compiler, or you want to use another one, it is probably not going to be possible, or at least won't be practical due to dependencies that are all built with the MSVC compiler.

Regardless, I strongly suggest using the Visual Studio IDE on Windows. It will be much easier to get going for FreeOrion, and it will be very useful to know how to use for any future Windows C++ development you might do.