The Trith

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: The Trith

#76 Post by pd »

Some speedy thumbnail sketches for the radiated planet.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#77 Post by pd »

More...

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#78 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I like where this is going.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#79 Post by Tortanick »

beautiful

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#80 Post by utilae »

Good stuff so far !!

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#81 Post by pd »

I've been going over the character design again.
The idea is to have "energy pockets" where energy is chemically "created". With old age, those pockets are the starting points of the transformation process resulting in transcendence - being pure energy/mind. In this state a Trith is able to power and control a ship. This means I'll be able to link ship design and story very nicely.

I then decided to go further and reduce facial features even more, there are just two cavities left, where once eyes have been. Beeing telepathic, you obviously don't need eyes to communicate, but there is more - with the development of telepathic interfaces you can manage all your interaction with the surrounding world. The idea of feeding on radiation has been re-introduced. Let's say they have bio engineered themselves, to do this.

"Transcendence approaching"

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#82 Post by pd »

My first take on a ship - could be a scout. I've said in the previous post, that a Trith is able to power and control a ship in the transcended state(maybe even move using telekinesis?). So the idea is, to have a central part containing a Trith and have the ship build around it. Bigger ships will perhaps need more of these "cores/spines".

top view, front at the bottom(or maybe not?)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#83 Post by utilae »

I really like the image of the guy sitting on the throne.

Josh
Graphics

#84 Post by Josh »

doodeedoo... amazing... doodeedoo...

The Trith have changed quite a bit since I last saw them, but I really love the speed paintings, it makes me want to pick up a pen and try that too...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#85 Post by pd »

Here's a take on a bigger(the biggest?) hull.

top view, front at the bottom, the previous hull to scale

Josh: Thanks! Speedpainting is definitely fun to do. It's nice to see things emerge by themselves, with no or just a rough idea to start with.

Redcap
Graphics

#86 Post by Redcap »

The ship design is beyond great, that is some real professional quality of work. I would love to see a textured 3d model!

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#87 Post by pd »

Thanks Redcap, I'm trying :) I'll keep working on other ships this month and probably do a couple more mood/story paintings. I intend to start modeling in January.

Here is another small hull, lightweight, probably later in the tree.

top view, front at the bottom

edit: Here is the process in 20 steps.

Redcap
Graphics

#88 Post by Redcap »

This one looks interesting, has a bomber feel to it. Love the centeralized energy cores as well; great color, and layout. How long do these take you to paint from start to finish?

Looking at this also got me thinking, ultimately we are going to go with 3D models, but would it be possible to use this concept art as a type of graphical placeholder that we could use to actually start building a playable combat build of FO? I mean, a scaled down version of this image would still look amazing, and with combat in the build we could really start to get more outside interest in the project. Just wondering...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#89 Post by pd »

Redcap wrote:How long do these take you to paint from start to finish?
The recent one took about 4 hours from start to finish, the big one a little longer, maybe 6-8 hours. Check out the process, posted in the previous post.
Redcap wrote:Looking at this also got me thinking, ultimately we are going to go with 3D models, but would it be possible to use this concept art as a type of graphical placeholder that we could use to actually start building a playable combat build of FO? I mean, a scaled down version of this image would still look amazing, and with combat in the build we could really start to get more outside interest in the project. Just wondering...
Possible yes, but progress in combat development is not (so much) limited by a lack of 3D models or other assets. When we'll have something playable depends largely on when Tzlaine will be productive again. Let's hope this is rather sooner than later.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#90 Post by MikkoM »

This last one is definitely my favourite. Nice and clear design. By the way, is the energy core more clearly distinguishable in this last one than in the two earlier examples? Because if it is, I think that this difference alone has a lot to do with my opinion. I just love the core in this last one.