[MAC] Game Window bigger than desktop

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Thursdaybloom
Krill Swarm

[MAC] Game Window bigger than desktop

#1 Post by Thursdaybloom »

I've just downloaded and installed FreeOrion for the Mac (from SourceForge 'FreeOrion-0.3.13-MacOSX-i386-p1.zip') and the app window it runs in is bigger then my desktop and I have no access to the bottom of the screen. This becomes obvious when in the Research menu (see pic). I managed to resize the window eventually, but it didn't scale the images with it and was left with a larger region of inaccessibility.

Also, when in game FreeOrion takes complete control over the cursor and I have to CMD/Alt-TAB on the keyboard to change windows and get it back. Is this normal? It's not all that much of a concern, I was just wondering if it's a bug or not. I also use Boxer (DOSBox) and in that you can toggle whether the cursor is locked to the app window or not.

Regards,
Thursdaybloom

You can see here my dock covers the bottom of the screen.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: [MAC] Game Window bigger than desktop

#2 Post by pd »

You can change the resolution in options or by manually editing the config.xml.

Thursdaybloom
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by Thursdaybloom »

Wow thanks! It's always the easiest solutions that end up being the hardest to notice.

*walks away feeling stupid* :oops:

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

Glad I could help. Let us know what you think about the game. It's not too much fun to play yet, but a lot of the game mechanics work and can be explored.

Thursdaybloom
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by Thursdaybloom »

I will. I think the project is fascinating, I'm glad I stumbled upon it. I don't know any coding/programming though so unfortunately I doubt I can contribute - besides finding "errors" I suppose.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#6 Post by Bigjoe5 »

There are a lot of ways to contribute that don't involve programming. Once you've familiarized yourself with the game, feel free to contribute to any of the ongoing discussions in the various Design boards.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Thursdaybloom wrote:Also, when in game FreeOrion takes complete control over the cursor and I have to CMD/Alt-TAB on the keyboard to change windows and get it back. Is this normal? It's not all that much of a concern, I was just wondering if it's a bug or not. I also use Boxer (DOSBox) and in that you can toggle whether the cursor is locked to the app window or not.
This is a property of the Ogre input system that's currently being used, and which is not very good. In windows, you can edit OISInput.cfg in the main freeorion directory so say w32_mouse=DISCL_NONEXCLUSIVE instead of DISCL_EXCLUSIVE but that most likely won't work on OSX. There might be an equivalent, or the X11 entries might affect OSX, but it's not obvious from the file and I don't have any way to test.
pd wrote:You can change the resolution in options or by manually editing the config.xml.
There are also resolution controls in the options video tab. These "should" work, but can be buggy as well, depending on the OS.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by pd »

That's what I meant with options :)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Geoff the Medio wrote:This is a property of the Ogre input system that's currently being used, and which is not very good.
Looks like the mouse grabbing is a limitation of OIS on Mac OSX. This post seems to be related and providing a patch to OIS, but doesn't seem to be getting much attention on their forums: http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/index ... ml#msg6305