Make me a list of sound effects

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
lord_midnight
Space Floater

Make me a list of sound effects

#1 Post by lord_midnight »

Make me a list of a dozen to two dozen basic sound effects.
I will sit down in sfxr, which is unrestricted. I will output them to wavs, upload them somewhere for FO, so they can be merged. I cannot promise they will be off the utmost highest quality, but they should get things started. I will also make some modifications to the files if they are asked. I have some effects like reverb and some filters to clean up the sound if desired.

a few to get things started:

laser - schoom
phasor - wah-wah-wah
ping - *ping*
radar ping "radar sound" waah dun du du
explosion - puhkoosh

descriptions of sounds are good. links to similar sounds are not bad either. Let me know what you want and Ill try to get as close as I can.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Make me a list of sound effects

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Missile impact explosion
Missile being destroyed w/o detonation
Ship explosions of various sizes
Pulsed energy weapon
Point defense bullet spray / rapid fire
Shield impact fizzle
Fighter / missile launch
Small / Fighter and Larger / Ship versions of beam shots
Entry / Exit from starlane

lord_midnight
Space Floater

#3 Post by lord_midnight »

I might need to grab a mic and go record the freeway for some of those. :)

Josh
Graphics

#4 Post by Josh »

Take a guitar string, strum it, slooooooow the sound down digitally. Try other musical instruments; some of them make really weird noises. Maybe if you play with them enough you won't even recognize them.

I don't have a mic, sooo.....

Guitar-Powered Lasers anyone?

lord_midnight
Space Floater

#5 Post by lord_midnight »

d-lusion.com

I tinker in rubber duck and dt 010, pretty nifty stuff.

musagi and sfxr are also amazing for creating sound. musagi has a great nes sound chip, z-80, emulator built in. you have full control of the waveform generators, so making an instrument is easy. It also has a decent midi setup. rubber duck is amazing once you get the hang of blending waveforms. I dont have any instruments laying around. I am wanting to get a M-Audio keyboard. It will let me do some cool stuff with musagi. I will be able to build music much faster, though I am not a very skilled composer. I am pretty god at getting neat sounds out of these softwares, I should be able to get some sci-fi sound effects ok. :)

Josh
Graphics

#6 Post by Josh »

I'm just the graphics guy. Don't listen to me. 8)

metaphysician
Space Floater

#7 Post by metaphysician »

hey all, i have NO idea if i'm violating protocol or anything here. i'm a newbie to the board and the MOO universe, but have done a fair bit of sound design and music composition, and i teach folks who do web design about audio for a living.

is it at all possible that the FO crew could use someone of my talents? i'd be willing to put some stuff up... i'd just want to know which sounds still needed to be provided from the list that geoff put up. not trying to bogart on anyone, but i can make a couple of SFX if there's still a genuine need.

let me know,

scott

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by pd »

Welcome! We could absolutely use some of your talents. The topic starter has never submitted anything, so we basically still need everything that's on that list and more. There is really nobody working on audio at the moment.

metaphysician
Space Floater

#9 Post by metaphysician »

OK - well i'll give it a try at this point. once i get something done, i'll attach it, unless there's a better way to get it to the programmers.

scott

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by pd »

I'm not sure if there are file size limits for attachments. If there are, you can always use a service like rapidshare.

For visual artists new to the project, I think it's always nice to see some of their previous work. It helps a lot to get a picture of who the person is and how the project could benefit from him. I guess the same can be said for musicians and sound designers. So if you would like to share some of your previous work, I think people would appreciate it(I would!).

metaphysician
Space Floater

#11 Post by metaphysician »

OK here's some sounds. didn't have great explosions on hand that i could tweak, but i synthesized the following:

fighter launch
laser1
laser2
missile-launch
pulsed fire - (i was thinking of the sound effect in unreal tournament (pulse gun) but if you were imagining something else geoff, let me know).
starlane entry - exit (could easily cut this up into two separate sounds).

due to the upload limit (cmon, 256 KB? you gotta be kidding me..) i'll stick it on my server at this link:

http://www.scottrlooney.com/sfx/freeorion-combat/

everything is dry at the moment but can easily add reverb if necessary.

i wasn't sure if you want totally realistic or very stylized. give me an idea of what you're looking for style-wise.

BTW, if any of you were familiar with the Scion XD ad campaign in 2007 with a tim burton like visual theme with sheeple and demons (called Deviants), i did the SFX for the meet the deviants website (games and animations and incidental music themes).

best,

scott

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#12 Post by pd »

Great work! Here are some comments:

Fighter launch and missile launch are very similar, intentional I guess. Maybe missile launch could get shorter, more compressed? And for fighter launch one could perhaps stress that these are a couple of individual fighters launched, instead of a homogeneous group? I hope this makes sense.

laser 1 and 2: Neat! Would love to here some reverb here.

pulsed fire: Love this one, sounds just like the Ion Cannon looks :)

starlane entry and exit: Excellent, can't think of anything to make them better.

Btw, we are using the .ogg file format, so it would be great if you could provide your work this way. Also we'd need your confirmation that your works(at least the ones that are supplied with the game) are released under the license we are using.

If you don't like to have those sounds on your own server, I can offer to put them on my own.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by tzlaine »

FWIW, we've been using .wav for shortish effects, and .ogg for longer streaming stuff, like music.

metaphysician
Space Floater

#14 Post by metaphysician »

you're right about the missile launch/fighter launch. they come from the same sound. i'll see what i can do to make the missile different, and the fighter to sound like fighters.

starlane entry/exit - thanks - spent a lot of time on that one. i still want to get the high frequencies to pop out, so don't consider that a final version just yet. i'll revise it and then you can compare.

regarding the laser blasts - i can do a fair amount of these. just curious if you want a more pitched thing or a starwars blaster type affair. or simply a bunch to pick and choose from...

as far as hosting sound files - a few MB isn't a big issue - at some point it'd be nice to deliver them to someone and delete them from my server, but i'm cool with using it for a couple of months or so.

as far as licensing, i was reading about the CC 3.0 share license. i think it sounds pretty fine. what you've all got here is a labor of love with some good potential, so i'll jump on board and see what i can provide for you. i'll make them in .ogg, high bitrate, unless programmers have issues with using .ogg for incidental SFX. once you pass 192kbps it's pretty close to indistinguishable from uncompressed anyway.

all for now. i'll post again when i have some more to offer. BTW i'll be unavailable during most of august, so i'm hoping to get you all started/inspired on the combat GUI before i leave. i'll be busier in september than now but i'll be able to shoehorn time in here and there. i suspect most of the rest of the team is in the same boat.

best,

scott

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by pd »

metaphysician wrote: i can do a fair amount of these. just curious if you want a more pitched thing or a starwars blaster type affair. or simply a bunch to pick and choose from...
I don't think we really have something precise in mind that we want. Without an audio lead or other audio people, there is nobody to express a professional opinion and provide a direction for the project to take. So, you're basically free to do what you want, use your best judgment :) Having a bunch of things to pick from sounds sounds like a good plan for now.
as far as hosting sound files - a few MB isn't a big issue - at some point it'd be nice to deliver them to someone and delete them from my server, but i'm cool with using it for a couple of months or so.
I can take care of this. We can wait a couple of days for everyone interested in it to comment and then upload the files to sourceforge. Once they are there, you can delete them on your server.
as far as licensing, i was reading about the CC 3.0 share license. i think it sounds pretty fine. what you've all got here is a labor of love with some good potential, so i'll jump on board and see what i can provide for you.
Sounds great, thanks!
i'll make them in .ogg, high bitrate, unless programmers have issues with using .ogg for incidental SFX. once you pass 192kbps it's pretty close to indistinguishable from uncompressed anyway.
As tzlaine mentioned, we are using wav for sound files and ogg only for music tracks, sorry for the confusion.

I'm looking forward to more!