The Trith

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Tortanick
Creative Contributor

Re: The Trith

#31 Post by Tortanick »

pd wrote: using their active telepathic abilities or possibly when experiencing anger/pain/rage they transform into pure energy from the inside out
Um, where dose their mass go? And where do they get the mass to create new bodies?

And actually where do they get the energy for that? Cremation furnaces run at 870–980 degrees, that's a lot of energy and even psychics need to get their powers from somewhere... I suddenly realize I have this problem in one of my own races, something to think off.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#32 Post by pd »

Thanks a lot Geoff.

Tortanick, based on Einsteins famous formula, i figure they just convert matter to energy and energy back to matter - it's all the same in the end. I'm not sure where you are going with your cramtoria example, but I don't think it matters, this is fiction after all.

I'm not going to have the discussion about humanoid aliens again. You've made your position clear and you can continue doing this in the appropriate thread, if you like. Nightfish asked for humanoids and this is what I'm doing here.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#33 Post by Tortanick »

pd wrote:I'm not sure where you are going with your cramtoria example, but I don't think it matters, this is fiction after all.
Right, the point was a rough (possibly inaccurate, it was very late at night) estimate of how much energy it takes to overcome the inertia of a solid form resisting the conversion into energy. I was probably thinking that if it takes that much energy to break a body down to ash it must take more to break it down to pure energy, not my clearest post.
pd wrote:I'm not going to have the discussion about humanoid aliens again.
I did just say I wasn't going to start all over again.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#34 Post by pd »

Tortanick wrote:Still though, its too late at night to go over the whole human aliens argument again(...)
I felt, that there is some ambition to discuss it again, hence the comment in the first place.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#35 Post by Tortanick »

not really, I was just talking about the biology of convergent evolution.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#36 Post by pd »

Due to my lack of proper anatomy knowledge, the body became partly biomechanical(or something similar). I don't mind.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#37 Post by Geoff the Medio »

That last full-body image makes me think there should be a tail on it.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#38 Post by pd »

There has been one in the very first stages, but I didn't go through with it - might try it again tomorrow.

Do you feel it's needed for (visual) balance?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#39 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Physical balance, perhaps. The arching back and long arms seem like a tail would be well suited to counterbalance if the arms were held out front all the way.

Conker
Space Floater

#40 Post by Conker »

The chest and shoulders seem very human. Could you do something to make them look different?
it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer
be at the rghit pclae.

The Silent One
Graphics

#41 Post by The Silent One »

Maybe the chest could show a glimpse of the Trith's internal energy?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#42 Post by pd »

Conker wrote:The chest and shoulders seem very human. Could you do something to make them look different?
Why? What's wrong with looking human when creating a humanoid? The pectoralis-like shapes add a sense of believable and make it relatable, especially if the entire rest of the body is made up.

Similary to what I've done to the head, I'm going to add different stages of energy transformations... One step at a time.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#43 Post by Tortanick »

On regards to visual balance, it definitely looks like its about to topple over forwards to me.

Also I'm no doctor, or engineer, but that spine is carrying a lot of weight while having a heck of a curve, that can't be healthy. That shouldn't really matter though.

Josh
Graphics

#44 Post by Josh »

Yay this is so cool :mrgreen:

Nope, nothing wrong with being humanoid, especially in a sci-fantasy setting. Human configurations are useful and very easy to plan for when figuring things out, like clothing.

Also, humanoid species are easy to get reference for:
Case in point

The Curvature in the back resembles the same thing the Vasudans have, looking closely at 0:05. If curvature was what you were going for, I'm sure some more reference like this will be helpful with the balance issue.

Or maybe the Trith aren't humanoid at all. Maybe this body could be the armored shell that the telepathic, ethereal entity lives in, and it just finds a humanoid shell the most expedient form to live in. Basically treat it like a suit of floating armor.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#45 Post by utilae »

Cool Stuff PD.