Overall Audio Themes and Strategy

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
NuttyMonk
Space Floater

Re: Overall Audio Themes and Strategy

#16 Post by NuttyMonk »

I see what you mean about the music in Knytt. It's very ambient but it's still musical. I like it.

The Dave
Space Krill

#17 Post by The Dave »

I'm very new here so I'm not sure if it's fair for me to make a criticism like this already, but I find that a lot of games that have strong space themes, particularly space strategy games suffer from going too far for immersion in their music. I know immersion is important, but a lot of the music in this genre tends to focus so much on ambience and the emptiness of space that it all becomes an almost lonely and empty experience. It is far more enjoyable to listen to something that has a much wider range of sound. If I had to choose between ambient sound that captured the cold void of outer space or a piece of music that captured the majesty of exploring the stars I would always choose the latter, because it is simply much more fun.

I really hope you guys elect to pick songs that fit with the idea of your grand campaign model.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#18 Post by Tortanick »

On the topic of overall themes, should battle music be dramatic or tragic? For an example tragic battle music defcon dose it pretty good (skip to about 2:30), maybe add in a voice over recording the number of deaths: "cruiser destroyed, four hundred and fifty dead", "Sol III is under bombardment, over 4 million dead and rising". Although that might get odd with some really high or really low population density races.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#19 Post by eleazar »

Tortanick wrote:On the topic of overall themes, should battle music be dramatic or tragic?
Ideally it would depend on if you are defending or attacking, winning or loosing, etc.

General_Zaber
Space Kraken

#20 Post by General_Zaber »

Perhaps you could have a slider in options :)
The enemy is retreating! As always, there is no cuteness about them. Dammit

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#21 Post by Tortanick »

eleazar wrote:
Tortanick wrote:On the topic of overall themes, should battle music be dramatic or tragic?
Ideally it would depend on if you are defending or attacking, winning or loosing, etc.
Good Point! All war is tragic, but high command on the winner's side wont think so.