The Humans

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Nighthawk
Space Squid

The Humans

#1 Post by Nighthawk »

Edit 1, updated history
Edit 2, Beefed up history and balanced racial bonuses and Penalties.

Personally, I don't like the alternate history of the Genus Hominum, but i like Bigjoe5's descriptions of the human race, and even more, his exacerbated vocabulary. I'm not trying to compete against him, just create an alternate possibility for the history and traits. I'm not going to describe physical descriptions, but I will describe the history.

Introduction- The Humans, or Homo Sapien Sapiens are bipedal primates in the family Hominidae. Humans have a highly developed brain, capable of abstract reasoning, language, introspection, and emotion. This mental capability, combined with an erect body carriage that frees the forelimbs for manipulating objects, has allowed humans to make usage of tools much earlier in development history than normal species, as a result, they are an extremely young, curious but intelligent species.

Home world- The Humans are unique in the way they view their birthplace, with almost a type of religious attachment. The entire government is seated there, as is most all businesses.

Humans reluctantly left their home world for the first time due to a clash of governmental bodies, and natural curiosity lead towards colonization.

Social Structure - Human social structure has varied throughout the years, from dictatorships to monarchy's to Communism. The current form of government is a Democratic Republic. However, its unique qualities of freedom of both Speech and markets creates a since of trust. The current Empire Name is The Human Republic

History - Humans have had 3 periods of enlightenment and 2 periods of decline. The First enlightenment was extremely early in human history, approximately 2,000 years after the first agriculture was developed.

This was followed by the quick collapse and rise of feudalism. The second was a burst of knowledge and discovery which allowed free trade of ideas.

This was followed about 500 years later with a nuclear war which killed 3 of the 7 billion people, started by a conflict between two weak nations known as N. Korea and S. Korea by the Humans. It spun out of control, with North Korea essentially taking South Korea, and forming with other Communist nations like China and Vietnam (I'm sure I just banned this website from China now! :P ). They invaded the largest nation, Russia and then launched a multi-pronged attack on an area named Europe and North America, overwhelming them both with nuclear technology.

Thus, a communist-dictatorship known as Kalaris was born, when a small military resistance was killed the previous head of the state, leaving his sister, Isabel in charge who ruled with an Iron fist. The state would rule for approximately 600 years until a rebellion uncovered old documents on the old republic governments of nations known as the "United States", "European union", and "Canada". Thus, after the finished rebellion, "The Human Republic" was born, and finally took to expand.

Human expansion lead to first contact, and a self discovery that they were an Orion Splinter faction.

Race Attributes -
Research abilities are above average, and creativity is high.
Farming abilities are slightly below average, as it is a skill lost through time.
Industry is average.
Growth rate is extremely rapid, approximately 5 times higher than the norm, (which explains their quick development).
Economic quality is average.
Loyalty is high. However, due to personal freedoms, when an unrest does occur, it is usually catastrophic.
Spy Defense is very low.
Citizens desires are dependent on the current set of population, and thus can change as events occur. However, normally they are introverted.
Last edited by Nighthawk on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: The Humans

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Not bad overall, but there are a few inconsistencies (and some things a just plain don't like, which is why mine is so much different ;))

First of all, I wouldn't assume that humans are better at manipulating objects than most other specie. The Xelytia for example, are far better at object manipulation. Intelligence and research bonus is kind of a cliche attribute for humans, but that's just an opinion.
...capable of abstract reasoning, language, introspection, and emotion...
I would assume from the get go that all our races are capable of these things, as they are all considered "sentient" ;).

I also think that democracy is a bit cliche for humans...

History is decent, but quite underdeveloped. Perhaps a bit more detail regarding the periods of enlightenment and decline are in order.
Human expansion lead to first contact, the discovery of an Orion splinter faction.
...You know that the humans ARE an Orion splinter faction, according to our official story?

The race attributes are reasonable, with the exception (IMO) of those stated above (relating to research and democracy).

I would (and did ;)) stay away from relating human culture in our story to present human culture...It's hard to avoid making political statements otherwise.
I'm not trying to compete against him,
Evidently not ;). You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#3 Post by Nighthawk »

It could be possible that the Genus Hominum is a subset of the human race, perhaps with a slight genetic mutation. Or, you could combine my history with the biological description of your race (marvelous anyway).

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#4 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Could be. Depends what kind of history the people want: One that essentially projects our current society into the future, or one that's completely split from our present society. Odds are, not enough people will show enough interest to make any kind of decision until v.8. ;)

Even a bit more detail in your history section might be interesting, particularly regarding stuff that hasn't actually happened yet. Be creative. :)

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#5 Post by Nighthawk »

I updated the history once again, and added more balancing. I hope that when 0.8 comes out (hopefully before the end of the decade!), we have yours as a splinter faction. Human vs. Human rivalry, ah- just like old times!

I wonder how all the races start off at the same technological footing... I hope FO addresses that.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by Tortanick »

Bigjoe5 wrote: First of all, I wouldn't assume that humans are better at manipulating objects than most other specie. The Xelytia for example, are far better at object manipulation.
That actually touches on a pretty difficult problem, you have one race that's superiour at production because they've got many flexible limbs, one robot race that's superior at production because they never get tired, and one race that's better at production because they're microscopic and can easily make changes that's too small for others to even see. Who's the best at production? All I can suggest for now is design your race in isolation, say a production bonus rather than "best" or "better than race X" and we'll sort it out at 0.8, proboscis by ignoring realism and going for balance and unique play styles knowing us :)
Bigjoe5 wrote:Intelligence and research bonus is kind of a cliche attribute for humans, but that's just an opinion.

I also think that democracy is a bit cliche for humans...
Agreed. I always liked rapid breading as the unexpected human trait
Bigjoe5 wrote:
capable of abstract reasoning, language, introspection, and emotion...
I would assume from the get go that all our races are capable of these things, as they are all considered "sentient" ;).
Tell that to the Vulcans ;) They're barely capable of emotions.
Bigjoe5 wrote:
Human expansion lead to first contact, the discovery of an Orion splinter faction.
...You know that the humans ARE an Orion splinter faction, according to our official story?
I absolutely loathe that bit, hopefully it will be removed, or if not at least treated in an interesting way: Humans are the worst placed to use scattered Orion tech because it recognises them and refuses to function, or it leads to megalomania rather than a noble destiny.
Bigjoe5 wrote:I would (and did ;)) stay away from relating human culture in our story to present human culture...It's hard to avoid making political statements otherwise.
Not to mention hugely unlikely that we'd still be the same. Its best to create a culture that's resistant to change and bring them in line with the slow to non-existent cultural change that's standard for a race in a 4x game. Bening non-fictional creates a whole host of problems for including Humans.
Nighthawk wrote:It could be possible that the Genus Hominum is a subset of the human race
Unless other species get to have multiple races for different verities humans can't either, no favouritism!
Nighthawk wrote:I wonder how all the races start off at the same technological footing... I hope FO addresses that.
My proposed solution is simple, forget it. Some races can appear late in the story as technologically behind underdogs, either with a patron to help them or some way to get ahead despite primitive technology, possibilities include:
Copy China and India, basally accept being screwed over by bigger players in the short term, but study the advanced technology you build cheaply and use the income to send your best and brightest to study at foreign universities.
Get really lucky and have a benefactor who helps you in the beginning.
Appear in the aftermath of a large war, no one who really wants another fight and there's ampant empty space full of abandoned cities and the remains of warships to study.

I think the story would benefit if we have the freedom to introduce new races when it would benefit the plot, rather than tie our hands by introducing everyone at once. It would also allow us to have a few extinctions and mysterious disappearances to keep things interesting without permanently lowering the cast size.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#7 Post by Nighthawk »

Tortanick wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:I wonder how all the races start off at the same technological footing... I hope FO addresses that.
My proposed solution is simple, forget it. Some races can appear late in the story as technologically behind underdogs, either with a patron to help them or some way to get ahead despite primitive technology, possibilities include:
Copy China and India, basally accept being screwed over by bigger players in the short term, but study the advanced technology you build cheaply and use the income to send your best and brightest to study at foreign universities.
Get really lucky and have a benefactor who helps you in the beginning.
Appear in the aftermath of a large war, no one who really wants another fight and there's ampant empty space full of abandoned cities and the remains of warships to study.

I think the story would benefit if we have the freedom to introduce new races when it would benefit the plot, rather than tie our hands by introducing everyone at once. It would also allow us to have a few extinctions and mysterious disappearances to keep things interesting without permanently lowering the cast size.
There is also going to be a freeplay mode, right? Because then, research abilities simulate that.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by Tortanick »

Yeah, but the freeplay mode dosn't have a backstory so you don't need to justify tech levels starting equal.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#9 Post by Nighthawk »

Possibly...

Anyway, is the history of the humans better? If need be, just mash the governments of those nations that FO players will be from (North America, Europe, South Korea, etc...). I don't think there are many Chinese people who will play this, nor many North Koreans.

Humans have a diversified culture, perhaps could that be part of the bonuses.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

Homo Sapien Sapiens

#10 Post by Nighthawk »

Personally, I don't like the alternate history of the Genus Hominum, but i like Bigjoe5's descriptions of the human race, and even more, his exacerbated vocabulary. I'm not trying to compete against him, just create an alternate possibility for the history and traits. I'm not going to describe physical descriptions, but I will describe the history.

Introduction- The Humans, or Homo Sapien Sapiens are bipedal primates in the family Hominidae. Humans have a highly developed brain, capable of abstract reasoning, language, introspection, and emotion. This mental capability, combined with an erect body carriage that frees the forelimbs for manipulating objects, has allowed humans to make usage of tools much earlier in development history than normal species, as a result, they are an extremely young, curious but intelligent species.

Home world- The Humans are unique in the way they view their birthplace, with almost a type of religious attachment. The entire government is seated there, as is most all businesses.

Humans reluctantly left their home world for the first time due to a clash of governmental bodies, and natural curiosity lead towards colonization.

Social Structure - Human social structure has varied throughout the years, from dictatorships to monarchy's to Communism. The current form of government is a Democratic Republic. However, its unique qualities of freedom of both Speech and markets creates a since of trust. The current Empire Name is The Human Republic

History - Humans have had 3 periods of enlightenment and 2 periods of decline. The First enlightenment was extremely early in human history, approximately 2,000 years after the first agriculture was developed.

This was followed by the quick collapse and rise of feudalism. The second was a burst of knowledge and discovery which allowed free trade of ideas.

This was followed about 500 years later with a nuclear war which killed 3 of the 7 billion people, started by a conflict between two weak nations known as N. Korea and S. Korea by the Humans. It spun out of control, with North Korea essentially taking South Korea, and forming with other Communist nations like China and Vietnam (I'm sure I just banned this website from China now! :P ). They invaded the largest nation, Russia and then launched a multi-pronged attack on an area named Europe and North America, overwhelming them both with nuclear technology.

Thus, a communist-dictatorship known as Kalaris was born, when a small military resistance was killed the previous head of the state, leaving his sister, Isabel in charge who ruled with an Iron fist. The state would rule for approximately 600 years until a rebellion uncovered old documents on the old republic governments of nations known as the "United States", "European union", and "Canada". Thus, after the finished rebellion, "The Human Republic" was born, and finally took to expand.

Human expansion lead to first contact, and a self discovery that they were an Orion Splinter faction.

Race Attributes -
Research abilities are above average, and creativity is high.
Farming abilities are slightly below average, as it is a skill lost through time.
Industry is average.
Growth rate is extremely rapid, approximately 5 times higher than the norm, (which explains their quick development).
Economic quality is average.
Loyalty is high. However, due to personal freedoms, when an unrest does occur, it is usually catastrophic.
Spy Defense is very low.
Citizens desires are dependent on the current set of population, and thus can change as events occur. However, normally they are introverted.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by Tortanick »

Nighthawk wrote:Humans have a diversified culture, perhaps could that be part of the bonuses.
Only if you can justify why its a bonus, and not the more intuitive penalty to loyalty.
Nighthawk wrote:Anyway, is the history of the humans better? If need be, just mash the governments of those nations that FO players will be from (North America, Europe, South Korea, etc...). I don't think there are many Chinese people who will play this, nor many North Koreans.
That's the kind of thinking that makes me argue we shouldn't have Humans in the game at all. The govenment should be chosen because it creates a rich, believable character for the race, and/or cool game-play effects, it should not be chosen because that's where our players come from.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#12 Post by Nighthawk »

Tortanick wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:Anyway, is the history of the humans better? If need be, just mash the governments of those nations that FO players will be from (North America, Europe, South Korea, etc...). I don't think there are many Chinese people who will play this, nor many North Koreans.
That's the kind of thinking that makes me argue we shouldn't have Humans in the game at all. The govenment should be chosen because it creates a rich, believable character for the race, and/or cool game-play effects, it should not be chosen because that's where our players come from.
It is believable to have humans with a Republic, IMHO. And I always play as humans in my games.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by Tortanick »

Its not believable to me that humans will be a republic, it is believable to me that Humans will be a multitude of different, often warring, nations some of witch are a republic.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#14 Post by Nighthawk »

2000 years in the future??

By that time, the human race will probably be one species.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#15 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I would consider that to be overly optimistic.