galaxy map information modes/overlays

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: galaxy map information modes/overlays

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:If we get a decent set or system for empire flags or symbols....
by "system" do you mean that code is needed or the concept and/or art work?
All three.
I have an old few posts that suggest a conceptual/graphic "system" for the flags.
Once that's finalized / decided on, it can be used.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#17 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
eleazar wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:If we get a decent set or system for empire flags or symbols....
by "system" do you mean that code is needed or the concept and/or art work?
All three.
I believe in my thread linked to above i provided enough preliminary graphics to get started, should someone want to code it.

I'd be happy to work on these any time something will actually be done with it, and will be quite happy to see this in game (especially in the sidebar) but i don't think the addition of flags will really contribute to solving the "confusing" issue which pd was addressing at the top of this thread.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:I believe in my thread linked to above i provided enough preliminary graphics to get started, should someone want to code it.
Not quite.

M4lV
Space Squid

#19 Post by M4lV »

The intensity idea for quick-showing research systems or other systems is quite good. In fact, Star Wars Rebellion had just such a system where you could switch the map display settings and show all kinds of stuff (troop stationed, orbital defenses, personnel like mon mothma or han solo etc pp.). Very useful indeed.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by pd »

Some more investigating with those circular charts. It's amazingly simple to show more than one quality, by simply turning those circles into pie charts.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Don't pay too much attention to the relative sizes, they are quite off in some cases, but you should still get the idea.

To avoid confusion, star graphics should perhaps be turned off though, if such an overlay is used.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#21 Post by pd »

Placing markers to easily remember certain systems.

eleazar

#22 Post by eleazar »

pd wrote:Some more investigating with those circular charts. It's amazingly simple to show more than one quality, by simply turning those circles into pie charts.
Nice thinking!
pd wrote:To avoid confusion, star graphics should perhaps be turned off though, if such an overlay is used.
Probably. The smallest sized disc could be used for systems that have 0 of the quality

"Markers" is another idea i strongly support. Though i would probably experiment with placing them markers to the side of the planet. When zoomed close to the star i don't think we want a giant red skull covering the star, nor an un-enlarged skull lot in the middle of a bright star.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#23 Post by pd »

Other placements can be tried. For the flag at least, I think placing it in front or after the system name works quite nice.

Those markers should probably not be scaled, but kept at the same size.

I'm not sure, what you mean by "placing them to the side of the planet". Wouldn't the benefit of easily navigating the galaxy map be lost, if the markers are "hidden" in the sidepanel?

Robbie.Price
Space Kraken

#24 Post by Robbie.Price »

Goodmorning all
pd wrote:Some more investigating with those circular charts. It's amazingly simple to show more than one quality, by simply turning those circles into pie charts.

Regarding pie charts, having the pie pieces have differnt radii, also might help,

If for example 50 of your focus is producing food, but you produce 4 times more food then minerals and research combined*because of a special building for example*, then the circle would be 50 food, but that side would be Large, and the other side would be small.

Just a thought

Robbie

M4lV
Space Squid

#25 Post by M4lV »

I would use different radii for different total output. The bigger the system production the bigger the radii.

eleazar

#26 Post by eleazar »

pd wrote:I'm not sure, what you mean by "placing them to the side of the planet".
Sorry, i meant "star" not "planet"... basically what you have in your examples.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#27 Post by pd »

I'm confused. Could someone finish this for me?:

How am I supposed to keep the appropriate relations, if the radii vary?

What do you mean with "50 of your focus is producing food" Robbie? 50%? Or is 50 the amount of food produced? Why 4 times more than research and mineral combined? I don't get it.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#28 Post by pd »

Maybe like this?:
Let the amount of shown values decide about the angle and the radius shows the amount?

eleazar

#29 Post by eleazar »

pd wrote:Maybe like this?:
Let the amount of shown values decide about the angle and the radius shows the amount?
I don't know if that's what's being suggested, but IMHO the "normal" pie graphs in your first example are much easier to comprehend.

But, yes a system that produced 10 farming 20 RP & 5 PP (35 total) would obviously have a smaller circle than a planet that produced 50 farming 10 RP & 25 PP (85 total).

The relationship between the circle radius and the quantity measured might not be fixed however. The amount of RP (for instance) produced in a single system might be 1000s of times larger in the end-game than the beginning. In order to make early-game differences noticeable, the scale of the spheres could be keyed to what the largest current quantity is. I.E. in the early game the system with the highest RP (in the galaxy, or simply in the known galaxy?) would display a circle of the maximum size, and all other systems would have proportionally smaller circles. In the end game, the system with the highest RP would have a circle of the same maximum size as early game, and all other systems would be rated proportionately, even though the relationship between # of RPs to radius of circle has changed.

Don't know if i'm explaining this well, but the idea is pretty straight forward.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#30 Post by pd »

Yep it'sclear, I've thought about this too, considering that the distances of some stars are rather short and overlap should be avoided there has to be maximum size and anything else should be related to this.

I agree that the normal pie charts are easier to understand.