Stereo Typical Humans?

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Redcap
Graphics

Stereo Typical Humans?

#1 Post by Redcap »

Games always set humans as... the average. They are not smart they are not weak. They are diplomatic but that is about it. In my oppinion we got shafted. What are the pros and cons slated to be for humans?

I just want to get some people thinking about this and don't really care one way or another: what about giving humans different strengths and weaknesses then you might expect. For example, ground warfare is a Human Plus. While some aliens fight in ranks Humans use guerilla warfare. Or what if humans are better at building and producation because they have five fingers instead of three. What if humans are strong? If you use earth's solar system as an example earth ranks among one of the largest planets, and the ones bigger are unihabitable anyways so who is to say that Humans are relatively big compared to other races. So when deciding races bonuses I think it might be neat to throw a curve ball with the humans, because it was really hard for me to choose human before because they were just so boring.

Your thoughts:

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Stereo Typical Humans?

#2 Post by eleazar »

Redcap wrote:What are the pros and cons slated to be for humans?
There are none slated.

The specific qualities of different species is for much later onthe roadmap.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Tortanick »

Well its hard to say, because any advantage or disadvantage humans have (same for any race) is measured realitively to all the other races.

My views on humans are known on this form, and its probobly best if I don't start that debate again, but I'll ignore them to be more constructive to this thread.

Personally I like the way Animorphs played humans, one of our main advantages was population (common to most earth life actually), there is a quote that sums it up: (from memory)
Alien underling "Population 6 Billion"
Alien leader "Surely you mean 6 million?!"
(We were also a super fast race for developing technology, but the aliens had a head start)

I found makeing human the highest quantity race to to be a nice little subversion for against the stories that made humans the highest quality race :)

Other advantages humans have could be based on how human empires behaved: Militaristic and economical. We' probably get a disadvantage to "real work" since as soon as we become rich, we push all that stuff to cheep foreign labour. I'd also like to give humans a scientific penalty, just because of all those times humans have a massive scientific bonus, to the point where "human ingenuity" reaches the levels of a deus ex machinia. X-com did that for example.

Graphically humans should go out of their way to look as advanced as possible with extra flash weapons (and take a small penalty for wasting effort on this). Humans nearly always have the same mostly inelignet designs, so just to be contrary we should avoid this. Besides we actually used to do this, look at old fashioned military uniforms that only went out of fashion when guns made camouflage a necessity.

Note, a while back I proposed the possibility of a racal special based around how human empires behave, so naturally its a perfect fit for humans, read it here

Josh
Graphics

#4 Post by Josh »

As a perfunctory note, a couple of species may need to be partly developed strictly for the sake of making their ships.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by Tortanick »

We could always just make the first set of ships for races who are already designed, and worry about other races later. Since we don't have any real differences between races till 0.8 it doesn't matter witch we use until them.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#6 Post by shrinkshooter »

Redcap wrote:Games always set humans as... the average. They are not smart they are not weak.
I disagree. I'd say they're probably smarter than the average norm (as in we should make that happen), but probably a lot weaker than the average norm. Many, many more animals here on earth can take a lot more damage than us. Then again you're probably talking about ships, so in that regard, well *shrug*. I say we should be the biggest, bestest most strongest race EVAR CUZ WE R T3H 1337!!1!SHIFTONE!11!
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by Krikkitone »

Well usually humans are either the Average or the peaceful/inventive types (Democracy/Charismatic in MOO2)

It'd be nice to have a game where humans had a militay advantage of physical toughness (seen that in a story once, the aliens were poisonous but humans were strong... both sides thought the other was overpowered)

Towering creatures, almost 2 meters high, bipedal to alow rapid changes in movement, with a powerful musculature that is sometimes enhanced with various biochemical modifications, this species of over 80 kilograms is the terror of ground combat. They still train their troops with melee weapons and are known for vicious urban warfare. While other species are larger, other empires better equipped, few races compete with the deadly ground combat efficiency of Humans.

Or they are particularly good miners/farmers (perhaps something like when major governments officially approved forced labor for punishment and debt repayment.... industrial power increased dramatically)

Or make them the hive race
Effective research into instructional behovior modification was made rapidy by economic organizations, and when political organizations finally adopted these techniques in mass educational facilities, a trully unified cultural norm was established. Although not without significant struggle The "groupthink" that humans exhibit render them difficult to penetrate with spies and creates incredibly high loyalty, individuals have been known to make suicidal attacks for "freedom/god/justice/the emperor" meanings that have merged into the word 'purpose'.

There we go a humans that are rabidly loyal vicious fighters, capable of pumping out troops in mass quantities through loyal slave labor, probably with a low money and science efficiency as both of those are distorted and suppressed by the massive government control/corruption and patronage.