Campaign vs. Versatility

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Setjhaba
Space Floater

Campaign vs. Versatility

#1 Post by Setjhaba »

Just wanted to ask, if I understood it correctly: There will be a campaign-mode, that features specific races, but it will still be possible to play the game as it is now?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by pd »

Right, there will be sort of a 'free-game'. This will also feature different races of course(unlike it is now, since we don't have any races yet). You will also be able to define a winning condition.

Setjhaba
Space Floater

#3 Post by Setjhaba »

I hope, the different races are an option, too, because I like the game like it is now...it allows you to take over a great deal of creativity...

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

There will be something like a 'campaign mode', where all the races in the game are defined, and even empires will own multiple star systems right from the beginning. This campaign mode will represent a certain point in the history of the FreeOrion universe.

There will also be a 'custom play mode', where each empire begins with one planet as they do now in 0.3, with a random universe. There will also be a race design system to build custom races if you don't like the official ones. This race picks system is slated for version 0.8.

None of the content will be hard coded, so you will be able to modify it as well through a text editor.

Setjhaba
Space Floater

#5 Post by Setjhaba »

I love that game...making edits possible through a text editor, so that even non-programmers are able to make changes is the highest level of versatility I've ever seen...

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Campaign vs. Versatility

#6 Post by utilae »

It will be good to see community developed races in the game.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

Re: Campaign vs. Versatility

#7 Post by Tortanick »

I only just stumbled upon this thread and I love the idea of campaign mode that fleshes out the individual races. Great idea.