introducing ourselves

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Do you think, tis is a needet thread?

jip
67%
nope
33%

Total votes: 64

hadrian_27
Space Floater

#46 Post by hadrian_27 »

15/student
Vancouver, Canada

Enjoyed MOO games, IMO MOO3 lacked a lot, decided to check this out. :)

BreadMan
Space Squid

#47 Post by BreadMan »

Hey all,

Been a big fan of 4x games ever since Civ 1, especially on the MoO end of things. Been following this project casually ever since it started, finally got around to d/ling version 1 and decided to go ahead and register here. I'm an artist, btw, and might like to get in on helping some if I can find the time (you can see my portfolio here if anyone's interested, sorry about broken links though)
And oh yes, I'm 21/M/Northern California. I'm a student but work as a CG artist part time as well as do some freelance graphic design work.

Moonsword
Space Krill

#48 Post by Moonsword »

19/M/Georgia

Reader, writer, and has too much time on his hands... sometimes.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

The Darwin Awards: Tales of Fatal Stupidity

Getix
Space Floater

#49 Post by Getix »

Getix The Cromist..

I'm 20 yo / m / Italy (Milan) and i'm nearly the last one of my race :(

I'm an Economy Student @ Bocconi University.

Hobby? My car ;)
Getix "The Cromist", (20, 90, Italy, MI)
FIAT CROMA CHT (called Laura) Acrobatic Driver - 32,5 kKm/243 KKm
"A Croma is Forever"

LonghornXtreme
Space Floater

#50 Post by LonghornXtreme »

My name is James, I'm 22/m/Texan (there must be something to being Texan and loving strategy and wargaming :lol: )

I never played MOO1 but I spent some insane amounts of time with MOO2. I also was one of the lucky few that got to play Stars! in its heyday. Man what a game. Presently I've been playing Space Empires IV for my 4X fix and I'm satiated... for now...

Unfortunately I think that FO will not be the 'be all end all' 4X game for me. Keywords 'for me.' I think it WILL BE an excellent 4x with original ideas, pro quality graphics and sound. Unfortunately I'm one of those 'realism' guys that wants more of a multiplayer only universe simulator (not really a sim, but I don't like the idea of things like starlanes etc... this is NOT me compaining or whining) to play massive 20 empire 2 year long Play By Email games allowing the human element of roleplaying to complete the differences between races and that offers amazingly detailed in game diplomacy options.

I think FO is onto something great and I think it (correct me if I'm wrong) is one of the most massive undertakings for OSS games currently out there. With the future holding only one or two players in the commercial sector i.e. EA of game production, projects like this are the future of quality games for everyone.

So with that, I contribute to brainstorming a little, but I realize my vision for the game is not what the leads see for their project. Which is COMPLETELY FAIR! I'm more watching the process itself and look forward to enjoying FO 1.0!

EDIT: Forgot to add some background about me... oops. I just graduated from UT Austin in Dec '04 with a BA in Bio (don't bash the BA, its just a BS with 4hours less calculus) focusing on microbiology. I'm currently waiting for news on my dental school application.
Last edited by LonghornXtreme on Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Dawn
Space Floater

#51 Post by Black_Dawn »

25/M/Montreal

Yes, another Canadian on the boards... Canucks are taking over! Mwahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a BA in English and Political Science, but I'm a serious tech-head. I'm the head writer at a start-up game software company in Montreal (OTHGAMES). We're working on our first game now. Hopefully you'll hear about us soon!
Professor Hernandez, Human ambassador to Silica:
"Hey, rocks are people too!"
Black Dawn

liberal
Space Krill

#52 Post by liberal »

18/m/sweden

will be hunting bugs!

Skaro
Pupating Mass

#53 Post by Skaro »

24/M/Netherlands

I can make 3D models and I've got some experience with programming in Delphi. My programming skills are bloody worthless when you consider that Free Orion is made with C++.

Anyway here's some WIP's I've been working on whenever I felt like it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/ ... h_ship.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/ ... rigate.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/ ... rganic.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/ ... naught.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/ ... ruiser.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/ ... ir_v01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/ ... /Alien.jpg
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down. --Murphy's war laws

zobo
Krill Swarm

#54 Post by zobo »

30/M Helsinki, Finland

My work is programming. C. (Mostly) open source stuff.

I haven't actually programmed to this project, but I've contributed some to the design/brainstorming. More will come.

Combatjuan
Space Krill

#55 Post by Combatjuan »

24/M/Lincoln, NE, USA

Lead Programmer (mostly C++) at a small software shop. Worked on a couple open source projects in my free time and while flunking out of school. (-8

I'm a long time fan of Orion and very excited about this project. I'm happy to do about anything to help it along and get it some more momentum. It's great to see so much talent gathered here and so much representation throughout the world (though perhaps too many Texans. (-8).

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#56 Post by Dreamer »

24/M/Santiago, Chile

I liked the MOO series a lot (except 3) And yes, I can writte C++ and I know a little about game design and I love to design stuff. Some weird taste for craking my skull from time to time. Too busy now I guess but still making some comments to add something to the proyect.

Ah, and sometimes my english sucks!

Trekker
Space Krill

#57 Post by Trekker »

29/m/Århus, Denmark

I have a little bit of programming experience, enough to know what can't be done anyway.
I'm a bug-hunter by nature...

Ron_Lugge
Space Floater

#58 Post by Ron_Lugge »

21/M/Sunny California

I did some helping with the music files a long time ago, nothing really useful... I'm back to see if I can be pigeonholed anywhere, but alas my skills really aren't up to the challenge (one semester of C++ = useless :( )

So my skills basicly boil down to thumping heads, being offensive, and being critical.

OK, I'm a fifth wheel, I'm going to go into the corner and cry now :)

edit:

Ooh, are my calculus or english classes going to be of any use? Oh, thought not. <cry>
There are 10 types of people in the world;

Those who understand binary and those that don't.

JosEPh
Krill Swarm

#59 Post by JosEPh »

54/M/ Western Illinois Cornfields

Is Thumper still around?

Been a Fan of the Moo Series since I got my 1st computer in 1995.

JosEPh (AtmoO Keeper of the Roll Call) :)

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#60 Post by marhawkman »

eh, might as well. 25/m curently residing near Augusta GA.

Programming? Mostly basic variants. I do have some experience with shell scripting in CSH though.
Computer programming is fun.