Browser-based game with similarities to MOO

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

haravikk
Space Kraken

Browser-based game with similarities to MOO

#1 Post by haravikk »

Hey, not visited these forums in a while!

In some of the time away I've been developing an online game which bears quite a few similarities to the Master of Orion style of games.
It's going to be browser-based, so no need to download anything, it will work in all major browsers (including IE apparently!) and is primarily text based, though it has some graphics to liven it up a bit.

MOO similarities:
- Graphical 'star chart' of systems
- Scanning/command ranges based on planets (you can't go further than your scanning range).
- Full unit customisation (including ground units)
- Different planet types in randomly generated star-systems, each with different advantages/disadvantages and capacities

I guess the main idea borrowed from MOO though is actually that moderators/admins are present inside the game itself. Each mod/admin has a special account in the Origin system (co-ordinates 0:0) and cannot be attacked (aggressive fleets are automatically destroyed). They have special attack types such as blockade (freezes an account for X hours), destroy (completely obliterates one more planets/solar systems) or just normal attacks as a form of warning.
They will also heavily influence alliance diplomacy, as alliances will come in two forms, standard and 'faction' alliances. With a faction being an alliance with a back-story and particular advantages/disadvantages and elected leaders.

The game is being developed with the intention of making it a pseudo roleplaying game, you are the leader of your empire, and the news system (reports from subordinates) will greatly effect this.

Currently there is no diplomacy/trade/alliance etc implimented beyond the messaging system, but official systems will come later.
Research is also not implimented (but the framework for it exists, just needs coding/finalisation). Research will work similar to MOO3 with different categories getting different % of your research points, and progressing in 'levels', progression in one category makes proceeding in the others more difficult (so maxing out one category cripples the others unless you give them research as well).

Currently I'm not accepting sign-ups as rudimentary fleet movement hasn't yet been done (though I'm hoping to over the next couple of weeks). I am posting though to see if anyone is interested in the game.

The address of the preview (screenshots) is http://www.torngalaxy.com

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#2 Post by leiavoia »

You should post this on the Orion Sector. They are looking out for this sort of thing:

http://www.orionsector.com/

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#3 Post by Daveybaby »

Its 'they' now?
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#4 Post by leiavoia »

I don't run it anymore.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#5 Post by Daveybaby »

Ah, right. Thought you still maintained 'executive control' or somesuch. Cool.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.