Twenty-seventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Twenty-seventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

#196 Post by Ophiuchus »

Atreides wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:42 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:04 am is there a way to kill-file this thread?
OMG, you sound like an old usenet reader. That was what we called it on that system back in the ancient past.
Yes, back on earth :mrgreen:
BlueAward wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:32 pm Seem to recall Ophichus might have mentioned that planet is always giving supply to the system it is in, but I am not convinced he was talking about blockade condition and in particular about resupplying ships.
I was talking about that whatever is implemented Sly need to be resupplied for peaceful expansion - and Sly Planets usually have zero supply and also are in enemy supply.
But I checked, and the Sly have a special effect for repair and supply scripted, so it is possible (and probable) that one needs to have supply connection for supply (if your ships are non-Sly, that is)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#197 Post by wobbly »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:27 pm You may notice that I'm trying to give objective arguments there, and not flame gratuitously.
Look I did say I'd ignore your BS, but I'm actually going to give this another try. You aren't trying to give objective arguments. You are trying to avoid your issues. You are trying to ignore that you are part of the problem.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#198 Post by Oberlus »

Wobbly, then ignore the entire problem.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#199 Post by Oberlus »

I sometimes get surprised by how much my PP/RP output goes up (or down) after some "tiny" change. Like adopting Bureaucracy, or finishing a building: the stability changes trigger lots of changes in the meters, and you can't really know it during the turn you make the change, because the calculations are made based on the target stability values of the next turn, but the changes in stability can take a few turns.

So, in order to know if a policy change is worth it, or if your populations can take another stability hit from another copy of that building they hate, you have to run a multi-screen spreadshit, that you have to populate with figures by going through your entire list of planets. And it's been like three years since I had the time for such a thing, so I know I can never be better than some players.

I think this is quite contrary to FO design principle of making calculations and estimations straight forward.

PS: I guess what I am trying to say is that different stability thresholds for different meter boosts/penalties is a pain in the ass, or that stability should always have its target value (to avoid having to simulate the effect over several turns), or I don't know.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#200 Post by Oberlus »

I'll be AFK since 4th to 7th July.

o01eg
Programmer

#201 Post by o01eg »

The server was updated to 2024-06-27.1d5cc18 weekly test build.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-06-27.1d5cc18.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

BlueAward
Juggernaut

#202 Post by BlueAward »

cheers! I reckon this should have fix to damage coming from laser-3, plasma-3 and death ray-3 techs, and to passive fleets actually being passive and not shooting even if battle is happening otherwise (so remain stealthed for example)

eradicator is still not fixed but I saw this didn't dissuade Skyflare for example :) good on you, I could prolly roll the dice with "my" nests too though I guess mines and gateways to the void make it pretty chill experience anyway compared to early game

BlueAward
Juggernaut

#203 Post by BlueAward »

O01eg, we can go thru the motions until next game is truly ready, however I reckon people are willing to concede already if that brings the next game forward, so you could begin preparations I reckon. You should be able to find confirmation of it in ingame chat

While I don't believe my transcendence is stoppable in 30 turns or so, I should be able to win without it, too, although thru a rather more painful / drawn out process. Seems people are fine not testing this idea

I would like to get some feedback about the map though. To me it was rather fine, everybody had their corner to grow, and monsters acted as bit of gate keepers. However, there might be tad too much room to grow in the arms with these settings, and with less monsters it could probably be sooner for people to interact

Other problems remain, like if we push empires apart, the algorithm stops considering nearby planets, right? I think o01eg got bit shafted on the draw, having rather sparse arm, plus Egassem without interesting natives around

LR would've done much much better if he didn't forward settle so much and lost quite a bit of production to my shenanigans, aided by monsters.

Oberlus had species that are meh to me but perhaps did too little of growth in his arm, more focusing on arly to beat monsters (not like Chato help with growth, exactly why I don't like them)

Skyflare I didn't see much of ehat he was doing but seemed to be doing alright, had panopticon, two temporal anomalies, and laenfa too

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#204 Post by wobbly »

BlueAward wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:20 am I would like to get some feedback about the map though. To me it was rather fine, everybody had their corner to grow, and monsters acted as bit of gate keepers. However, there might be tad too much room to grow in the arms with these settings, and with less monsters it could probably be sooner for people to interact
Yep feedback on the map, and also feedback on anything else that's recent, now that LR has no excuse to pretend basic balance is actually secret squirrel.

BlueAward
Juggernaut

#205 Post by BlueAward »

Does not seem like changing base fighter damage from 6 to 5 has phased anyone. Change to flak cannons on the other hand quite welcome, I think, though it went bit far into the game

Somewhat unobvious change with monster taming is that white kraken requires taming tech. LR didn't realize that, built the xeno lab, and nothing. I took the spoils later. I guess that's still fair tho for white kraken, no? Otherwise, I said that before, I like that change.

Can't comment much on centralisation, it kinda sucks with Scylior, but I guess sucks slightly less now due to less affected supply. I imagine it's a good change for other species, Skyflare prolly best to comment with his Laenfa, I saw he was running centralisation for quite a bit

Nerf to habitability of Kobunturas, prolly best for Oberlus to comment. I kind of left them to him, even tho he took sweet time to get them.

I forget what were other changes?

susflare
Space Krill

#206 Post by susflare »

BlueAward wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:20 am Skyflare I didn't see much of ehat he was doing but seemed to be doing alright, had panopticon, two temporal anomalies, and laenfa too
That panopticon was not a good thing at all, its sentinel held me at a choke point blocking 42% of stars in my arm which were the ones contained the useful stuff while the planets I had access to were not that good. Laenfa were good at helping me counter its effects in various ways and those two temporal anomalies were OP and actually helped catch up very easily once I was capable of using them.

It all balanced out for me in the end but that panopticon was NOT a good thing

o01eg
Programmer

#207 Post by o01eg »

BlueAward wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:20 am O01eg, we can go thru the motions until next game is truly ready, however I reckon people are willing to concede already if that brings the next game forward, so you could begin preparations I reckon. You should be able to find confirmation of it in ingame chat
Yes, I'll open new thread soon.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-06-27.1d5cc18.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#208 Post by Oberlus »

I conceded yesterday, after crashing my 50k fleet against 80k fleet of BA.

LR was eradicated a few turns before that. I think BA had to conquer even the last outpost to get rid of the plague.

Now it is a matter of when Skyflare will realize the time to build up a fleet was 100 turns ago and instead of focusing on "growth".

BlueAward
Juggernaut

#209 Post by BlueAward »

MP27_victory.png
MP27_victory.png (47.82 KiB) Viewed 287 times

susflare
Space Krill

#210 Post by susflare »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:44 pm I conceded yesterday, after crashing my 50k fleet against 80k fleet of BA.

LR was eradicated a few turns before that. I think BA had to conquer even the last outpost to get rid of the plague.

Now it is a matter of when Skyflare will realize the time to build up a fleet was 100 turns ago and instead of focusing on "growth".
It was a fun pacifist run for me though ;P