Tusk

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Tusk

#1 Post by Obiwan »

Heres as far as I got with this race. Please add any suggestions here in the story section.

Deleted my story as I didnt like it much. Felt it might be a put off anyone who might be inspired to different and better ideas

Ill hold off on modelling this guy until theres some good ideas. If your concepts require a physical change try to keep them relatively minor. (For my sanity's sake.)
Last edited by Obiwan on Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

wow

#2 Post by guiguibaah »

That is weird - (nice pic btw:). Weird in that, while bored at work during break, I wrote a race description that described almost exactly your Tusks's appearance (two large bipedal legs, a smaller leg / tail in the back, and four trunks used to draw heat from ice-cold water like a heat pump).

They'd also lend themselves to some interesting percussive music.

neat!
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

drek
Designer Emeritus

Re: wow

#3 Post by drek »

guiguibaah wrote: They'd also lend themselves to some interesting percussive music.
hrm, like talking drums? Maybe they can be textured with some tribal looking tats.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Obiwan »

That is wierd, and cool. How does the heat pipe idea work. I envisioned his trunks as more like hands, but just like elephant they could have a suction tube.

Excellent music btw.

Rockstone
Space Squid

#5 Post by Rockstone »

:idea: what about research being 50% less then normal.
Master of orion 3 rules. (a pause) Why are you guys getting tomatoes out?

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Tusk backstory

#6 Post by guiguibaah »

Here's what I dug off of my laptop when I was at work - did this a while ago during breaktime. For a lack of a better name, I though of hhhoh since it would be the sound of wind, but tusk sounds more aggressive, so I like tusk better. It's almost as if you read what was on my work machine before commencing your artwork (wlthough I had them pegged at 3 tentacles trunks, not 4) :)

Anyway, here's what I got, feel free to cut / paste / etc)

= = = = = = = = =

Hhhoh

Quick Description
Hhhoh are large, warm blooded creatures measuring over 16 meters in length (including leg/tail), 6 meters in width and stand at 5 and a half meters tall on their two front legs and balance their three legs, and weigh over 5 tons. They live on the planet Hh’hohwo, a small tundra planet with temperatures ranging from minus 2 degrees Celcius at the equator, to minus 126 degrees Celcius at the poles.

Physiology
Hh’hohth have a very thick layer of white coloured fur. Their skin is a very dark black shade. Their fur is not unlike that of Earth’s ancient Polar Bear, allowing sunlight to be captured and passed through fibre-optic like follicles to warm the skin. Underneath the first coat of fibres is a second coat of extremely soft downing which helps retain heat radiated off the skin layer.keep these leviathans warm. The metabolic processes of Hhhoh metabolism is comparable to earth mammals in a state of hibernation. Of interest is their ability to manipulate their metabolic processes, allowing them to cope with extreme temperature variations in polar climates. Rather sluggish are those Hhhoh’s who live in polar climates, as opposed to their faster counterparts who dwell in equatorial regions.

Locomotion
Hhhoh locomotion is performed by using their two, large front legs, while using their hind leg to balance their larger back bodyside. This hind leg somewhat resembles a tail, although it is quite sturdy. Underneath Hhhoh legs are two thick layers of resin-like material which insulates the temperature variance between the ground and the foot of the Hhhoh.

Object manipulation
Hhhoh’s have four large trunk-like appendages on average 8 meters in length, with four sharp fingered claws they use to handle objects. When not in use, Hhhoh’s curl these trunks them under their bodies and bury them in large fat pouches to conserve heat. What is unique about the two pairs of trunks is that they form a very elaborate heat pump system. Large amounts of water are drawn through one trunk. The water is then swirled into a large organ called a Phlath, which draws heat from the water, then spewing it out through the other trunk. During this process, tiny teeth filter seedlings and other small aquatic native life into the Hhhoh’s small oral cavity.

Feeding behavior
Hhhoh’s are omnivorous, but do not actively hunt or farm large domesticated life. Hhhoh diet consists mostly of complex carbohydrates derived from 1. plant matter / lichen, or 2. xeno-plankton derived from filter feeding. Protein is obtained either from tiny xeno-crustaceans, from the rare hunt and stomping of indigenous wildlife. Rarely do modern day Hhhoh's resort to cannibalistic behavior, although past history has suggested early settlers did otherwise.

Sexuality
Hhhoh’s have 2 sexes, best described as male and female. When a female gives birth the male will place the newly born Hhhoh inside a special fat sack, keeping it warm until it grows a full coat of fur. Hhhoh males can be very aggressive and possessive of their females and youth. .... etc...

Hhhoh Evolutionary history
Hhhoh Archeaologists are fortunate in that the freezing conditions on Hh’hohwo have helped maintain a very detailed fossil record. Organic decomposition by psychrophillic fungi on Hh’hohwo takes up to 183 times longer - even longer if relics are buried under ice.

Studies have shown that in ancient times the purposes of the trunks were believed to have first been used to scrape off lichen from hard rocky surfaces, to injest them afterwards. During this period Hh’hohwo lived along the more dry and arid equatorial region, where lichen and small plant life were more abundant. Hh’hohwo life was deemed to be even more aggressive than it is today, based on analysis of Hhhoh remains.

It is theorized that during increased volcanic activity, combined with a 1000 year warming cycle, small amounts of standing water began to form. Hhhohs that were able to draw heat from the water required less energy (and less food) to heat their bodies. This created a favourable evolutionary advantage.

What is seen as the cornerstone of Hhhoh sentience was the formation of drilling tools and large crystalline shelters. It is theorized that early Hhhoh settlements were created by ingesting large amounts of geothermal-warmed water, then spitting it for it to freeze. Using this technique Hhhohs build giant ice domes lined with excess fur to keep their occupants warmer, as well as allowing for easier access to food sources locked under thick sheaths of ice heated by geothermic forces.

The discovery of fire allowed Hhhohs to melt through huge swaths of ice, eventually reaching large amounts of unfrozen water. Hhhohs eventually migrated to the polar regions which contained a greater amount of ice and water. Upon reaching these areas, ancient Hhhohs created giant ice settlements. The remains of some southern settlements have endured to this day.

Hhhoh Disposition
Hhhoh’s describe themselves as social pragmatists. Elder Hhhoh’s are very much reveared, some living close to 230 years. Their sloth-like disposition makes them aversive to any fast movements, as well as hasty decisions. .... etc.......

Hhhoh Politics
Every 30 years, newborn hhhohs are elected to undertake the leadership cycle. They are then mentored by the elder Hhhohs for another 30 years. Once they mature, they may choose to fit into the 10 seat council, a chamber that governs over all Hhhohs. The elder Hhhohs present to them issues that they must decide upon...... etc.......

etc.........
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by Obiwan »

Good stuff guiguibaah. Theres anough to get me started again going again.
As long as he doesnt end up like Many the mammoth it'll be ok.
Add more if you like.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Song for Tusk / H'hohh

#8 Post by guiguibaah »

The Tusk

This was the song I wrote with the Tusk ' H'hhoh in mind, however I wonder if jumbo1.ogg and tray.ogg shouldn't be switched between the two - I kinda envisioned the Tusk in colder climes.

Anyhoo

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by Obiwan »

Very nice. Would work switched, Yep switched is better.
Good work

Josh
Graphics

guiguibah or obiwan

#10 Post by Josh »

Are either of the two collaborators on this race still around :?:

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

Re: Tusk

#11 Post by Sandlapper »

I haven't heard from Jon in ages. He did some killer images of my 'Trayeggadora' race about four years ago.

I just noticed that those images no longer load. I'll try to dig up an old email for him and see if it's still valid.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: guiguibah or obiwan

#12 Post by eleazar »

Josh wrote:Are either of the two collaborators on this race still around :?:
Neither Obiwan nor drek have posted since before i came around about 1.5 years ago. guiguibaah might have made a few posts in that time.

Obiwan did some nice pieces, i hope sandlapper has a copy.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Tusk

#13 Post by utilae »

I think Drek said that he would not be coming back when he left.