Is there an easy way to keep 2 builds on 1 machine?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Bazile
Space Krill

Is there an easy way to keep 2 builds on 1 machine?

#1 Post by Bazile »

Hi Folks;

I've dabbled with .4.10 builds for a couple of years now and enjoy the game even if I'm not very good at it. I downloaded one of the .5 betas a month or so ago and try it infrequently. I put the .5 on a different directory on a different hard drive hoping to keep them seperate.I notice that opening either of the versions removes my preferences on the other. Apparently somethng in the users/user/appdata/roaming directory is shared between the 2. This is on a windows 10 machine by the way. My question is; Is there an easy way to keep the 2 builds totally seperate from one another on the same machine? Thanks in advance.

Bazile

BlueAward
Vacuum Dragon

Re: Is there an easy way to keep 2 builds on 1 machine?

#2 Post by BlueAward »

Not sure how much I would need to explain step by step but generally you can create a batch script that sets APPDATA environment variable to a different place and run FreeOrion with the changed environment variable.

Code: Select all

set APPDATA=x:\AppDataCopyForFreeOrion\Roaming
x:\CopyOfFreeOrion\FreeOrion.exe
First copy users\user\appdata\roaming\FreeOrion to x:\AppDataCopyForFreeOrion\Roaming\FreeOrion

That should work. I had to do something similar to circumvent a bug where multiplayer saves would not be loaded with a "funky" username but I just created a symlink to the original directory but the symlink would not have my "funky" username in it (so I didn't create a copy of roaming\freeorion just pointed to it via a symlink)