Introduce modifications for Weapons / Shields

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

drkosy
Space Dragon

Introduce modifications for Weapons / Shields

#1 Post by drkosy »

At the moment I always swap Plasma Cannon and go straight to Deathray. I don't like this and think unique modifications for weapons could give combat some more tactical possibilities.
Some ideas:
Laser could be autofire (more shots less damage) or shield piercing (ignores shield but does less damage)
Plasma Cannon could be heavy mount (more damage but only combat turn 1-3) or enveloping (4x damage)
Of cause all the weapons are available with or without modification.

I think introducing modifications for shields could be interesting as well:
hard shields: shield piercing weapons (and maybe fighters) can't pass the shields
robo interface: shield strength is increased by number of ships
shield booster: increases shield strength by a fixed amount

Of cause each modification must be researched to use it. Let me now what you think about it.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Introduce modifications for Weapons / Shields

#2 Post by LienRag »

If I ever get to return to my tactical non-interactive combat system, it's supposed to address that and keep all weapon systems useful to the end of the game.
Main factor for that purpose is range : only Laser and Death Rays will have long range (9, the Antimatter Cannon having infinite range), plasma will be able to shoot at long-ish range but be devastating only at short range (3, maybe).