SDL mixer as new sound engine?

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

hifron
Krill Swarm

SDL mixer as new sound engine?

#1 Post by hifron »

In old discussion about FMOD as new sound engine was made decision(2006) to OpenAL as to play sounds with.

OpenAL and its implementation supports many platforms and similar as graphic stack it has many extensions.

Among these extensions platform support vary and in current FreeOrion implementation there is different MacOS X and Linux backend in which on Linux only ogg and wav are supported by default in FreeOrion implementation(can be seen on FO log), but maybe on Macs it is different.

Lead Audio Emeritus LithiumMongoose wrote:
LithiumMongoose wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:10 pm As for the music page which I'm sure is what you'll be most interested in... Everything's been re-encoded to ogg to undo any damage iTunes may have done to the tags originally, and further edited in WinVorbis to conform fully with Creative Commons licenses. Beyond THAT...
That was in era only OpenAL with vorbis and Ogg(supposed to be MP3 successful alternative) and FMOD as not so GPL alternative... But in the meantime OpenAL(which may include 3D sound(probably EAX 2.0 ???)), but as seen on its page its implementation is supposed with extensions(like for MP3) but all of that seems as low level approach and not so widely used in open source games... Because in the meantime libsdl library approached version 2(version 3 in making) and in that there is already support for playing audio in various formats(depending on underlaying libs) in library SDL mixer

There is a lot of open source music stored on Wordpress OpenVerse and some in FO compatible license can be found), but mostly not in ogg format and maybe some audio folks thinking may be required...

I posted this as a thinking about when old programmers disappeared and SDL mixer init is maybe not so difficult(but maybe as seen on its issues also is not without flaws, but I think that SDL Mixer is preferred way in some SDL applications) and has a lot of problems solved which OpenAL not(and I think that OpenAL is not so going forward as others)...