Game Stuttering!

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Archibald_Collins
Space Krill

Game Stuttering!

#1 Post by Archibald_Collins »

I have been playing FreeOrion on Windows 10 PC. But since yesterday when I play the game, the game is stuttering. This is the first time that I got this issue. Could someone please help me to fix it? Any kind of help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Game Stuttering!

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What does "stuttering" mean in this context and when is it happening? All the time, during turn updates, after issuing orders to fleets or planet focus changes, when manipulating the production or research queues, etc? What version are you playing?

Restarting your system might help. If you have a save file that consistently reproduces the issue while other saves or a new game don't, then please post that save. If it happens consistently even for new games that previously would not have, then it's difficult to know if the issue is FreeOrion specific or something weird on your system. Did video drivers or hardware change? Did you enable antivirius or firewall software? Is there anything visible in the task manager or resource monitor that is using a lot of CPU or other resources? If so, can you stop whatever that is and does that help with FreeOrion performance?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

I assume stuttering probably means low FPS and slow responsiveness.

I've had that kind of problem with many games in Windows 10 (of all kinds, Age of Empires, Hearthstone...), that happens when the OS decides to do some unknown or unnecessary duties that are quite heavy on CPU and hard disk. There are ways to mitigate that, fiddling with configuration of Windows Defender, Update, etc.

Archibald_Collins
Space Krill

#4 Post by Archibald_Collins »

Mainly the issue was happening due to the graphics driver. So I searched online and found this article. As per the article's instructions, I followed some methods from there. First I updated the graphics driver and run the SFC scan. After doing the tasks properly, the problem got solved. Now I have no longer any issues while playing the game on my PC.