Error Msg regarding Kernel32.dll

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Cumbersome77
Space Krill

Error Msg regarding Kernel32.dll

#1 Post by Cumbersome77 »

Hello, i have been running version 0.4.4 for the longest time and decided to install 0.4.7 to a different folder from original....if i try running 0.4.4 now, i get "Error timed out while connecting to server" - yet i chose "Single player" not multiplayer....if i try running 0.4.7 after install i get error "the procedure entry Point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll"...All my other applications and games run fine on this computer....I'm ready to give up ever installing it properly and don't want to risk it corrupting anything else....also does this game use memory reserved only for Windows use?...thanx

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Error Msg regarding Kernel32.dll

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Cumbersome77 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:11 pm "the procedure entry Point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll"
I think that means the executable is not compatible with your operating system. Is it Windows XP?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Cumbersome77 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:11 pmi get "Error timed out while connecting to server" - yet i chose "Single player" not multiplayer
There is a separate "server" process that runs on the same computer during single-player games. This does not have anything to do with an external network connection or another computer.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:30 pm
Cumbersome77 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:11 pmi get "Error timed out while connecting to server" - yet i chose "Single player" not multiplayer
There is a separate "server" process that runs on the same computer during single-player games. This does not have anything to do with an external network connection or another computer.
Still, the question is, why is there a server process apparently hanging, which blocks a new game from being launched?

@Cumbersome77, I have the following suspicion: You installed 0.4.7, tried to run it, got the "the procedure entry Point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll" error, then tried to run your old 0.4.4 installation and got the "Error timed out while connecting to server". Then you gave up - correct?

If that's the case, most likely your attempt to launch a game with 0.4.7 got far enough to launch the server process before the app crashed, and the server process has been left hanging (which blocks all further attempts at launching a game). Can you try and restart your computer, then launch 0.4.4 game? Please report back if that worked.

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:11 pm...the server process has been left hanging (which blocks all further attempts at launching a game). Can you try and restart your computer, then launch 0.4.4 game?
Alternatively, open task manager and kill any FreeOrionD.exe processes that are running after this happens.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:15 pm Alternatively, open task manager and kill any FreeOrionD.exe processes that are running after this happens.
Or that. I'm just a staunch supporter of the "Turn it off and on again" faction... :mrgreen:

Cumbersome77
Space Krill

#7 Post by Cumbersome77 »

Hi, and thanks for all the helpful suggestions...it's been a while and i tried a number of things, and it now seems to be working...somewhat. yes, vezzra - you're on the right track...but i believe i installed. 4.7 to a different folder...a suggestion i have is that the different versions (and older ones) could have a system requirements section for each version in the downloads link....i have xp sp2 with 2 gb ram and radeon 9250, pentium 4(northwood)....is .4.7 too advanced for my old system? 10 years ago when freeorion 0.4.4 was running stable, i only had 1 gb ram and running quite fast with 4 or 5 ai and over 200 solar systems....my suspicion is the program is heavily dependant on ram....i hope i didn't corrupt anything in my windows folder, as Kernel32.dll resides there...all my other applications seem to be unaffected....anyways, I'll try to remember what i did...after the server time out error, i ran version 0.4.4 again, but same error popped up....i assumed that my computer did not have the proper resources to run versions beyond 0.4.4., and 0.4.7 must have changed something in python or framework (i have framework 1.1 and 2.0 installed), so i installed in the same folder version 0.4.3 and ran it...it loaded up fine without Kernel32.dll error, but noticed some inconsistencies in the window menus and boxes, so then i thought at least its getting past the Kernel32.dll error., and i installed 0.4.4 again (in same folder) ...now it is running ok with a few burps....the most obvious is the amount of time needed to cycle through all the processes...its not bad the first 10 turns, but after turn 20 it can take up to 1 or 2 minutes to complete, ...i then changed from full screen to windowed mode, but didn't change anything...i then decided to click the '-' minimize button in top right corner....it went to desktop and i waited a couple seconds until game music stopped, and then right clicked on 'freeorion v0.x.x' tab at bottom and clicked restore....it then went back to freeorion screen with all cycling done and updated in message and sitrep windows...before i did this, i knew something wasn't quite right when i clicked menu options and saw 'save' option grayed out....now after clicking the next 'turn' button at top left, i wait 5 seconds, and if cycling not completed, i know it got stuck somewhere or somehow again and i just minimize and restore again....i was wondering why days ago i saved at turn 144, and upon reloading same scenario it was at day 100!...obviously the game save did not work as some background cycling was still in progress....sorry for lengthy details...any suggestions on improving speed?....i should have heeded 'if it's not broken don't fix it'....oh yeah - when screen saver kicks in, its frozen - so it doesn't save screen very well. :cry: ....thanx for all explanations.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Cumbersome77 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:31 amyes, vezzra - you're on the right track...but i believe i installed. 4.7 to a different folder
This is not recommended. If you install a newer (or older) version of FO, an already installed version should be uninstalled first.

Since a couple of releases we've changed the installer so it now checks for an already installed version first and offers to uninstall it before proceeding with the install. But I don't know if the installer for the 0.4.7 release already had that.
i have xp sp2 with 2 gb ram and radeon 9250, pentium 4(northwood)....is .4.7 too advanced for my old system?
Judging by the error message you get when trying to run 0.4.7, it very much looks like it. 0.4.7 is already quite old, I don't remember the exact requirements, but it could well be that 0.4.7 requires at least Windows 7.

Windows XP is horribly outdated. That OS is what, over 20 years old...?
i hope i didn't corrupt anything in my windows folder, as Kernel32.dll resides there
I don't think so, why would anything have been corrupted? The FO install doesn't touch any system files at all. The error you got just means that FO tried to call a system function that in your version of Windows doesn't exist (and subsequently crashed of course, because can't work properly without the missing function).
after the server time out error, i ran version 0.4.4 again, but same error popped up....i assumed that my computer did not have the proper resources to run versions beyond 0.4.4., and 0.4.7 must have changed something in python or framework (i have framework 1.1 and 2.0 installed), so i installed in the same folder version 0.4.3 and ran it...
I strongly recommend to completely uninstall all versions of FO you have currently installed on your system and then reinstall the latest version that worked (seems to be 0.4.4).

That should hopefully get rid of lingering issues. As I said above, it's not recommended to just install a version of FO over an already installed version. Uninstall an already installer version first, then install the new version.
any suggestions on improving speed?
Other than trying to install more recent versions (which often have performance improvements), you can only try smaller maps and fewer AIs. Performance is mostly impacted by the number of objects in the universe (planets, ships, buildings, etc.), which of course increase with the size of the map and the number of players.

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:24 pm
i have xp sp2 with 2 gb ram and radeon 9250, pentium 4(northwood)....is .4.7 too advanced for my old system?
Judging by the error message you get when trying to run 0.4.7, it very much looks like it. 0.4.7 is already quite old, I don't remember the exact requirements, but it could well be that 0.4.7 requires at least Windows 7.
Windows XP is horribly outdated. That OS is what, over 20 years old...?
In case it's of interest, the reason the minimum version of Windows required by more recent FreeOrion builds increases over time is that we update to building with newer versions of Visual Studio and its compiler. Doing that has two notable effects: 1. it lets us use newer versions of the C++ language standard, and 2. it limits which older versions of Windows the resulting executables will run on.

Cumbersome77
Space Krill

#10 Post by Cumbersome77 »

Ok, I'll keep a smaller galaxy in mind, but still remember with the original install of vetsion 0.4.4 that it resolved a cycle (or turn) in about 10 to 15 seconds around turn 200 with around 200 solar systems and 2 or 3 ai....i deleted and uninstalled anything & everything on hard drive with "freeorion xxx" on it and ran again, but got server timed out error again....so I'll give up....however windows asks me when i exited if i want firewall to remain on....does this have anything to do with the timer error?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

Cumbersome77 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:14 pmhowever windows asks me when i exited if i want firewall to remain on....does this have anything to do with the timer error?
That's possible. If the error you get when trying to start a game is a timeout when connecting to the server process, then it could be the firewall preventing the client process connecting to the server process.

On Windows XP the Windows firewall was quite a pain, and I always turned it off. So you can give that another try - completely disable the windows firewall, then try starting FO again. Do you maybe have another personal firewall/antimalware software installed? These might also interfere.