Online voice chat meeting, Monday May 31st 2021

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Online voice chat meeting, Monday May 31st 2021

#1 Post by Vezzra »

Tomorrow is the last Monday of May, so it's time again for our online voice chat meeting.

Time as usual: Monday, May 31st 2021, 6pm UCT or 8pm Vienna/Berlin time

And "place" as usual: Jitsi room https://meet.jit.si/ThoroughNovembersConvertPossibly

Topics: I'd like to start considerations about the 0.5 release - what we want to include, what needs to be done to get everything in a sufficiently release-ready state, when we want to get it out, how we plan to get there.

Please post your suggetions/proposals for additional topics.

Other than that, of course the usual "anything else that comes to mind". ;)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Online voice chat meeting, Monday May 31st 2021

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Cjkjvfnby wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:14 pm I don't know if you have heard about git pre-commit hooks and pre-commit tool, so I can talk about it at the next meeting.
I use it for about a year, and very happy with it.

Here is a PR about it https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/3469

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

One topic: Merge and Progression of split damage estimation and GUI, and AI stubs.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

Meeting notes from memory and I missed most of the first part (0.5 release):
  • vezzra would like to try to release in december(?), so we should start closing. I guess its feature freeze in the sense of not adding new game mechanics
  • vezzra hopes for the AI to be able at least to play (e.g. not killing the own empire by instability comes to mind)
  • vezzra intends to write a forum post for this
  • ophiuchus said that giving total combat damage vs bout damage is good for new players, but the bout damage is more meaningful to experienced players (e.g. easier to anticipate effect if going against shields, also estimating survival per bout). problem is that bout damage by e.g. fighters is very complicated/meaningless
  • vezzra gave input from other games, that only a single fleet power number is shown - so it is enough to do so also
  • geoff suggested having different kinds of numbers on different levels (e.g. fleet and ships). ships should be closer to the weapons (i.e. bout damage). fleet could show power level (where it is to be expected that is only in rare cases meaningful)
  • o01eg suggested that such a fleet power level could be exposed at lower detection than e.g. the ship meters
  • some detail discussion what needs to be done in order for the totalCombatDamage estimations PR to be merged
  • geoff gave a rough idea what victory conditions could be post-0.5; applied policies would allow to collect victory points (e.g. colonisation policy: first one to colonize 20 planets, ...); those victory points would be shown in the empires overview/leaderboard and one would win the game when a certain threshold is passed. The idea is that one can choose to between investing in something which helps you winning the game instead of most efficiently improving your position (e.g. colonising an unsustainable amount of colonies in order to be the first and collect the victory points).
  • things that come up from some time are 1-turn off problems.
  • ophiuchus: for giving initial tech it would be good to do extra initial effect processing or a full extra pre-game turn
  • geoff encountered strangeness sometimes when comparing/calculating turn offsets with CurrentTurn and == operator, found a workaround
Last edited by Ophiuchus on Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 pm
[*]vezzra hopes for the AI to be able at least to play (e.g. not killing the own empire by instability comes to mind)
As I wrote on another topic, just telling the AI not to research Exobots would be a huge improvement on this point.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 pm [*]geoff gave a rough idea what victory conditions could be post-0.5; applied policies would allow to collect victory points (e.g. colonisation policy: first one to colonize 20 planets, ...); those victory points would be shown in the empires overview/leaderboard and one would win the game when a certain threshold is passed. The idea is that one can choose to between investing in something which helps you winning the game instead of most efficiently improving your position (e.g. colonising an unsustainable amount of colonies in order to be the first and collect the victory points).
You're turning FreeOrion into a German game ?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 pm Meeting notes from memory and I missed most of the first part (0.5 release):
  • vezzra would like to try to release in december(?), so we should start closing. I guess its feature freeze in the sense of not adding new game mechanics
So you're gonna release 0,5 without Influence Projects ?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 pm [*]geoff gave a rough idea what victory conditions could be post-0.5; applied policies would allow to collect victory points (e.g. colonisation policy: first one to colonize 20 planets, ...); those victory points would be shown in the empires overview/leaderboard and one would win the game when a certain threshold is passed. The idea is that one can choose to between investing in something which helps you winning the game instead of most efficiently improving your position (e.g. colonising an unsustainable amount of colonies in order to be the first and collect the victory points).
You're turning FreeOrion into a German game ?
Um, just out of curiosity, what has what Ophiuchus wrote to do with turning FO into a "German game"? What is that even supposed to mean? I'm confused... :?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:59 pmSo you're gonna release 0,5 without Influence Projects ?
Yes. The changes in the 0.5 release are already massive as it is, if we add Influence projects to that, we're going to release far into 2022. We need to draw the line somewhere.

Let's just do it in manageable steps. No need to do everything at once. Influence projects will most certainly be added in subsequent releases.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 pmvezzra intends to write a forum post for this
I'll try to get to that coming weekend.

o01eg
Programmer

#11 Post by o01eg »

Vezzra wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:02 pm Um, just out of curiosity, what has what Ophiuchus wrote to do with turning FO into a "German game"? What is that even supposed to mean? I'm confused... :?
I suppose he meant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm