Thougts about balance of races

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
drkosy
Space Dragon

Thougts about balance of races

#1 Post by drkosy »

Taking part in the last multiplayer game, I thought about balance of species. Especaly since I started with Abadoni the first game. That's why I did a quick list with all traits (attached below) and rated them with cost-points to get an overview about race balance but I'm unsure if I always hit the spot. I would be glad to hear what you thing about my distribution.

The other thing I thought about was specials. Since we play without specials that would be a big advantage for selfsustaining species. My quick thought was: Growth specials could raise the growth rate, not the maximum pop. Disadvantage: They are not as desired than now and I love them to have an big effect. I'm unsure about that but just like to hear what you think about that.
Attachments
Species.png
Species.png (64.58 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Thougts about balance of races

#2 Post by Oberlus »

It's quite tricky to value species traits, they strongly depend on galaxy settings, synergies between traits and luck at start.

You can check older threads about nerfing self-sustaining or reworking population sizes.

I remember these:
https://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11844
https://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10996

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

drkosy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:24 pm Since we play without specials that would be a big advantage for selfsustaining species.
The fix in my opinion to that is split specials into those which are needed for gameplay (only growth specials) and those which are not. And allow disabling them separately.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

drkosy
Space Dragon

#4 Post by drkosy »

It's quite tricky to value species traits, they strongly depend on galaxy settings, synergies between traits and luck at start.
My experience that lead to that list was my 3 attempts to play cray. The first two times (I was really new to the game) didn't work at all. I didn't manage to get fleets fast enough. The third game worked but was still hard, because my first battle ships were just finished three turns before the troop ships of my enemy arrives at my most productive colony.
The last game I replayed with Replicon and just conquered the enemies like nothing...
Maybe I just didn't get how to play cray, maybe the somehow hard to play. That is what I like to find out with that tabular.
The fix in my opinion to that is split specials into those which are needed for gameplay (only growth specials) and those which are not. And allow disabling them separately.
Maybe "no specials" could mean, that there are only few growth specials around and everything else is turned of. At "low specials" everything is low and so on. You wouldn't need a new switch than...
Thank's for that hint, it's an interesting discussion. Maybe I can post something next week, today my time is short...
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

BTA
Space Floater

#5 Post by BTA »

Odd that Cynos like Industry but have "No Industry".

I am playing v0.4.10+ weekly-test-builds (build 2021-02-01.996d1e6) CMake on Fedora 33 on a UX430U Zenbook
Wisdom is even more powerful than knowledge © Ari Gold