Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

#76 Post by Geoff the Medio »

o01eg wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:15 pm Geoff, I see in logs you tried to login. I registered you as "Geoff" as I don't like to deal with space symbols in logins. Logins is case-insensitive although.
That helps, but I also need a password. I didn't get a reply to my forum PM about it, and haven't received any emails.

Edit: got an email, but the password doesn't work.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#77 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:35 pm Edit: got an email, but the password doesn't work.
Sometimes the One-Time-Password emails take too long, you try to connect again and server sends a second OTP, you get the first, delayed OTP and write it to get a wrong password error (because it was expecting the second one, that shortly arrives to your email). Not sure if that's your problem.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#78 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:23 pmSometimes the One-Time-Password emails take too long, you try to connect again and server sends a second OTP, you get the first, delayed OTP and write it to get a wrong password error (because it was expecting the second one, that shortly arrives to your email). Not sure if that's your problem.
Plausible. I guess I'll have to wait about 3 days for a few emails to work their way through the system, since I tried and failed logging in repeatedly...?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#79 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 pm
Oberlus wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:23 pmSometimes the One-Time-Password emails take too long, you try to connect again and server sends a second OTP, you get the first, delayed OTP and write it to get a wrong password error (because it was expecting the second one, that shortly arrives to your email). Not sure if that's your problem.
Plausible. I guess I'll have to wait about 3 days for a few emails to work their way through the system, since I tried and failed logging in repeatedly...?
For me it was a matter of 30 o 60 seconds, and only sometimes. Never got an email of those later than that. Some players reports problems getting the emails from protonmail.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#80 Post by Oberlus »

At some 1.1 turns per day, this game will take minimum 3 months to finish, maybe reach 6 months.

Since we are going to restart game after Tuesday for LienRag, I strongly recommend changing cost factors for faster game development: building/hulls/parts 0.5, techs 1.0
And reduce number of systems if no one is against that, 20 or 25 per player.
Maybe that way we could finish in around 2 months.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#81 Post by LienRag »

o01eg wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:03 pm
LienRag wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:49 pm
o01eg wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:18 pm I'm going to start the game soon but now miss drkosy and LienRag.
I thought you agreed to wait until Tuesday when I'll have reliable Internet access ?
LienRag wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:40 pm Technically I would be able to play once a day earlier, but I think that you prefer when players are able to play more than once a day ?
I read it and thought it is fine if you can make turn once a day so when you could go full-speed we will play some turn already.

I'm fine with resetting the game to add you but first we need to make you login here.
Indeed. I won't have time to manage that before tomorrow evening though.
And yes I tried to connect to the dedyn server.
Do the log I published help ? I don't understand them.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#82 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:03 pm And reduce number of systems if no one is against that, 20 or 25 per player.
I don't want to bother others, but I'd rather play with a big galaxy.
I'll be fine with your decision though.

o01eg
Programmer

#83 Post by o01eg »

LienRag wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:22 pm Indeed. I won't have time to manage that before tomorrow evening though.
As I understand your DNS couldn't resolve game server address so I posted IP you could try to connect.

Also it looks like we forgot to catch and handle DNS resolve errors in the client.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-07.15cf063.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

o01eg
Programmer

#84 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:03 pm At some 1.1 turns per day, this game will take minimum 3 months to finish, maybe reach 6 months.

Since we are going to restart game after Tuesday for LienRag, I strongly recommend changing cost factors for faster game development: building/hulls/parts 0.5, techs 1.0
I'm fine with longer game but have no issues with make it faster.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-07.15cf063.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#85 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:23 pmI'd rather play with a big galaxy.
What's big for you? Do you measure it in systems per player or total galaxy size?
Last game was 7 players and 350 systems.
If we gonna be 6 players (with you), how small a galaxy can be for your standards?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#86 Post by LienRag »

o01eg wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:03 pm
LienRag wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:22 pm Indeed. I won't have time to manage that before tomorrow evening though.
As I understand your DNS couldn't resolve game server address so I posted IP you could try to connect.

Also it looks like we forgot to catch and handle DNS resolve errors in the client.
Oh, OK. I tried with the IP address you provided and so far it hasn't crashed.
I'm in the "connect to server" screen but I didn't get any password though ?

Edit : I got three passwords and the last one worked.
I'm at a screen which tells me that the game cannot accept any new players since a game is being played.
Last edited by LienRag on Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#87 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:14 pm
LienRag wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:23 pmI'd rather play with a big galaxy.
What's big for you? Do you measure it in systems per player or total galaxy size?
Last game was 7 players and 350 systems.
If we gonna be 6 players (with you), how small a galaxy can be for your standards?
The bigger the better for me but I don't really know what would be practical for other players and for the server.
I was mostly reacting to your proposal to reduce the number of systems per player - if needed I will cope with it but if everyone is OK with the planned size I don't personally would like it to be reduced.
For now, I should be able (once I'm logged in !) to play several turns a day, so if others do the same we may finish earlier than you were calculating for ?

drkosy
Space Dragon

#88 Post by drkosy »

As the game will start again soon, I think it's not to much to spoiler that I recently meet a scout of orphanous in turn 8. That's with 50 systems per player. I think 20 or 25 are to low, ending up very close to other players. I would like to have a minimum of 30 systems per player. That's what I take for games against the AI.

I guess that change in scaling will fasten the game more than a smaller galaxy.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#89 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:47 pm For now, I should be able (once I'm logged in !) to play several turns a day, so if others do the same we may finish earlier than you were calculating for ?
We are doing better than the first two days, now over 2 turns per day. With you I bet it won't get slower. That's 2 or 3 months.

drkosy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:47 pm I would like to have a minimum of 30 systems per player. That's what I take for games against the AI.
OK, instead of 25 systems per player, I suggest 40, for a galaxy with 240 systems and 6 players.
With that, the scouts will begin to bump into each other around turn 7 instead of 8. Not that much of a change.

Anyone against that?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#90 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:42 pm I'm at a screen which tells me that the game cannot accept any new players since a game is being played.
Great, you're in.