Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Magnate
Space Dragon

Re: Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

#196 Post by Magnate »

Meanwhile, at the other end of the galaxy, the insects launched an audacious push for the fallen Scylior homeworld, Athens. It worked brilliantly - they lured us out one jump too far in an expert game of cat and mouse, sent their troop ships round the back and used their monstrous kraken to prevent our superior forces striking the killing blow. Our First Fleet bravely defended Athens, but the other fleets were all too far away to get back in time so they were hopelessly outnumbered, and the troop ships snuck through without loss. The First Fleet will be remembered - one survivor is limping back to drydock to update the archives. Athens will fall.

But not for long. Our reinforcements have arrived, the kraken has been obliterated, and the remaining fireflies, glow worms and other insect chaff are trapped and doomed.

But the Second Fleet also faces challenge at the former Scylior world of Caph. Our rigorous manufacturing is up against their motley collection of weird organisms. Again our heavy reinforcements are too far away to help, and we may end up with neither Caph nor Athens.

The Third Fleet appears to have gone rogue and refused to follow orders. We may have to use long-range detonation.

Our allies have gone silent, we assume that fighting a combined robot and invisible mushroom empire is taking all their bandwidth. We pray silently for their deliverance.

One day we will crush the insects. But not yet. They are worthy foes.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#197 Post by wobbly »

Yeah a bit of last fun there, I'm essentially cooked now. My starting position was atrocious with just the 1 small inferno that's probably closer to Ophiuchus then it was to me. Had some chances if I could grab danny's space early, just needed Ophiuchus to wait a little longer to launch his attack. Oh well I guess I'll survive some more turns, but I'm a full military tech tier behind with no way to catch up.

o01eg
Programmer

#198 Post by o01eg »

I'm back!
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#199 Post by Oberlus »

Cycle 130
We attack the pirates homeland. We'll try to grow our roots in their leaders' minds to end this violent nonsense.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#200 Post by wobbly »

I'm out. Magnate's fleet can actually roll faster then I can build new ships, so it'd just slow down the turns when I go to bed. Good luck all.

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#201 Post by Hyperant »

The Ensign's Gazette

The Fall of Ajax

fallofajax.png
fallofajax.png (183.7 KiB) Viewed 1346 times

After a series of skirmishes and battles that forced our navy to suspend the commerce raiding operation temporarily against the Abyssal Commonwealth, they have launched a daring assault into the very heart of our realm. Managing to sneak undetected, they have launched two simultaneous invasions on both our major energy hub of Phad, and the capital of the realm located in the Ajax system. Despite being caught off guard by the sudden invasions, our pirate garrisons fought until the last man, with the remainder choosing to withdraw to the badlands to utilize asymmetrical warfare. Even the leader of our realm, rather than be captured, fought until he was struck down.

After the captures, the Commonwealth has wasted no time polluting our former planets with a strange discoloration covering them, resulting in a loss of intelligence gathering as it disrupts transmissions from the affected planets.

With this devastating counteroffensive, the industrial output of the Syndicate has been effectively cut in half, along with the realm itself. Several isolated mutinies have already sprung up, albeit short live before being swiftly dismantled. It is unlike at this point the Syndicate will ever recover from this crippling blow.

Pained Arrrrgh noises
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Magnate
Space Dragon

#202 Post by Magnate »

Interesting - this game seems to have a smoother elimination curve than previous games (which have sort of had almost everyone hanging in there and then bam, it's all over). Even at this stage I have absolutely no idea whether I can compete with Oberlus or Oleg - it will be interesting to see!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#203 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:56 pmI have absolutely no idea whether I can compete with Oberlus or Oleg - it will be interesting to see!
I got to see 80% of your planets. You have more production and more research than me. Indeed it will be interesting!

Magnate
Space Dragon

#204 Post by Magnate »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:56 am
Magnate wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:56 pmI have absolutely no idea whether I can compete with Oberlus or Oleg - it will be interesting to see!
I got to see 80% of your planets. You have more production and more research than me. Indeed it will be interesting!
In which case it will all come down to how quickly you can take his remaining planets to even the resources, and/or rush me before I can detect you, I think. Hyperant's fall was a total shock to me (as well as him!), so I am totally unprepared. And of course we each have Oleg on the other front, and I have no idea who has the tougher challenge there.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#205 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:02 pm I'm out. Magnate's fleet can actually roll faster then I can build new ships, so it'd just slow down the turns when I go to bed. Good luck all.
I'm glad that, at least until next turn, you haven't conceded. If/when you do, Magnate will have it easier. I'm quite worried about that actually.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#206 Post by wobbly »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:16 pm
wobbly wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:02 pm I'm out. Magnate's fleet can actually roll faster then I can build new ships, so it'd just slow down the turns when I go to bed. Good luck all.
I'm glad that, at least until next turn, you haven't conceded. If/when you do, Magnate will have it easier. I'm quite worried about that actually.
Hmm I thought I had. Certainly if I try and log in, I don't seem to exist. If the game had some sort of auto-turn I would of left my shipyards on repeat. I mean obviously the ships wouldn't move but at least they'd be sitting defending the shipyards. At the end of the day I had no fleet & Magnate's ships move at about 140 & it would of been 1 round of lasers against large ships. I felt a little guilty about leaving but figured it might actually be better to give o01eg a chance to invade my planets.

What happened with Magnate was something that bothered me about the ring galaxy shape, he managed to remain untouched by war all game. I hit Danny, Ophiuchus hit me & o01eg, you hit Hyperant & Magnate just happens to be positioned shielded from it all by Hyperant & Danny. Shrug, sounds like you had a bunch of problems with the other galaxy shapes & this situation might be hard to avoid.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#207 Post by Magnate »

I think the ring shape was considered fairest because each player has two neighbours - which tends to mean ally on one side and war on the other. I got lucky this game because Danny focused on wobbly and ignored me. though it did make for a very boring first 70 turns or so.

Other galaxy shapes are more interesting and less predictable, but people can end up with atrocious starts and quit early (I have done that twice, although only once was I completely wiped out by my only neighbour, the other one was just frustration at meeting others in the first half dozen turns - galaxy too small).

I still think we haven't got conceding quite right. It's good that the pops stay and need conquering, but unfortunately defences go to zero, and any remaining ships lose all their tech bonuses (wobbly's lasers suddenly halved in damage), and most importantly, ground troops lose the bunker/fortification bonuses, so they lose 26 troops everywhere, instantly. That made conquering wobbly about five times quicker than it should have been.

So I suggest that conceded empires retain all their tech bonuses on any planets and ships.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#208 Post by Magnate »

Two more observations while I remember:

1. The snowballing nerf, which is excellent, has rendered force-energy structures pointless - you don't really need to invest in it because your PP and RP grow so slowly. My suggestion is to make it much cheaper and quicker to research but only increase meter growth to 2 rather than 3.

2. Gifting planets appears to maintain the PP/RP output, which is exploitable. I suggest that PP/RP is reset to zero and happiness set to the recently-colonised value.

I have benefitted from #2 and from the lack of defences left after Dany and wobbly quit, so apologies to Oleg and Oberlus for that. Unless you guys are going to team up?!

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#209 Post by Hyperant »

The Ensign's Gazette

Greener Pastures

Ever since the fall of our Homeworld as well as the death of our long time Pirate Arch-Captain, the unity of the Syndicate has been severely shattered, with mutinies occurring all around the realm. Recently however, a significant proportion of our pirates have decided to defect to our Cyberpotic allies, with promises of guaranteed loot.

Such is the way of the pirate life, loyal to whoever has the bigger paycheck

Arrrrrgh
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Magnate
Space Dragon

#210 Post by Magnate »

I see Oleg is going scorched earth - concentration camps. It means I need to rebuild the colonies but it saves me a lot in troop ships, so swings and roundabouts I guess - now that conquered colonies take five turns to start accumulating PP the difference is much less than before and the value of evacuation is less. Oberlus has three enormous fleets that I can see (16, 16 and 20 protoplasmics), so it is going to be tough on that front. I don't know what the other front looks like, but I'm about to find out.