Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Magnate
Space Dragon

Re: Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

#76 Post by Magnate »

The Bionic Pot Collective, in celebration of our new name, would like it to be known that we love everybody. We are therefore the Hippy Bionic Pot Collective. Except the mean people who destroyed our friends' ship. Definitely want to sort that out. And guess what, the universe is too small again and we met our neighbours within a few months. But we love them all so it's all good. Peace man!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#77 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:16 amExcept the mean people who destroyed our friends' ship. Definitely want to sort that out.
Hey! Your friend shot first, in our space (within our supply)! We had to defend ourselves!
Plus we offered compensation, but they declined it.
So, we not only have to suffer the aggressive relentlessness of our pirate neighbors but also their further away hippy walking pots?
Oh, well... Galaxy is unfair, we shall make it a better place by ourselves.
Farewell!

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#78 Post by Hyperant »

Ally vision sure does work in mysterious ways

glitchlol.PNG
glitchlol.PNG (149.61 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#79 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:16 amPeace man!
Did you fall asleep in the hippy way? One hour for you to miss a turn!

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#80 Post by AndrewW »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:43 am Hey! Your friend shot first, in our space (within our supply)! We had to defend ourselves!
Until the edited version, then you shot first.

o01eg
Programmer

#81 Post by o01eg »

The server was updated to 2020-07-10.f3d403e 0.4.10Release Candidate 1.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#82 Post by Hyperant »

Justice has been served

The Ensign's Gazette

Battle Analysis of the Battle of Sonne

minorbattle.png
minorbattle.png (70.28 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

Several weeks after the loss of the frigate the Snap, the Abyssal Commonwealth made their first move, attempting to occupy the system of Sonne where preparations were being made to establish a forward operating pirate base. However, their intentions were leaked by an insider source, alerting the raider fleet that was already within the system to take up advantageous positions over the outermost planet, a gas giant with one major moon.

As soon as their forces jumped into the system, the broadside guns from both the 5th rate frigate the Heisenburg as well as the 3rd rate cruiser the Resnick immediately opened fire, dealing a devastating first strike that immediately detonated one of their frigates, with the loss of all hands.

The remaining frigate struggled to exchange fire, managing to lightly damage both ships stationed before she herself was disabled by precise shots to the power generation section. The two ships then closed the distance, with intent to board the ship. As the two ships grappled to the lone frigate, the boarding action began. Despite quite a valiant last stand, the defense crews were quickly overwhelmed and the ship was under our control.

All their remaining crew, including the captain of the frigate, were captured and the ship was now being towed to the nearest repair station to be requisitioned as one of our own. However, in an act of sabotage done by its own crew, the frigate's magazines cooked off and due to the close proximity of our ships, they suffered extensive damage to the exterior. Upon this act happening, the Commonwealth crew were promptly made to walk the plank, and by that, they were quickly ejected out of the airlock, the captain included.

So much for that ransom money but an example had to be made. These ships aint cheap to build and maintain.

Arrrrgh!
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#83 Post by Oberlus »

Correction: pirate cruiser got to that system at the same turn than abyssal frigs. We are now instructing our scouts how to do their job...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#84 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate, are you out in a canoe trip or something?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#85 Post by Oberlus »

This game is being extremely slow. Magnate, too much work? Covid-19 related?

Magnate
Space Dragon

#86 Post by Magnate »

I did miss one turn, sorry about that folks. Work is pretty hard but I'm not feeling that the game is slow - sorry if others are.

I am really really annoyed though - allied supply is totally broken. I reported this bug at least a year or two ago and I thought it was fixed. My ally and I each have an outpost in a system we share - well, his is now a colony while mine is not finished yet - and now I can't finish it because my supply no longer connects. Bug bug bug bug bug. Really really irritating.

Now going to spend nine hours wondering what to spend unexpected PP on, and eight turns sending a capital ship there to connect my supply (which may or may not ruin supply for him).

Does anyone know whether allied supply is still being worked on, or should I reopen my old issue on github?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#87 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:44 am I did miss one turn, sorry about that folks.
You missed two turns, IIRC (it was 3.5 turns in three days of a weekend).

I am really really annoyed though - allied supply is totally broken. I reported this bug at least a year or two ago and I thought it was fixed. My ally and I each have an outpost in a system we share - well, his is now a colony while mine is not finished yet - and now I can't finish it because my supply no longer connects. Bug bug bug bug bug. Really really irritating.

Now going to spend nine hours wondering what to spend unexpected PP on, and eight turns sending a capital ship there to connect my supply (which may or may not ruin supply for him).

Does anyone know whether allied supply is still being worked on, or should I reopen my old issue on github?
TL:DR
Allied supply works fine for repairs and building connection (you can have a BHG in one supply group and be connected to your other supply group through your ally's supply).
It does not work for PP connection.

Here is your report: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2905
No need to reopen it because it was never closed. But it doesn't talk about PP propagation but about supply-connection of buildings (BHG, Enclave, etc.). If you reread your comments and answers in there, you'll remember that PP propagation does not work either:
Current implementation does not allow to propagate PP through allied supply. There is a single supply owner on each starlane, so a single owner of PPs in that supply. If you put your PP in the supply of your ally, there are no rules to allow for distribution of those PPs between your ally projects and yours, so game doesn't allow it. System would require to support more than one supply owner per starlane and system, which won't happen any time soon. So you have to workaround that:
- Colonize with colony ships (they have fuel supply from your ally so no range problems from that).
- Gift planets (so that your ally finishes them before returning them to you).
- Do not share systems (keep one single supply group for each of you).
- Use Stockpile.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#88 Post by Magnate »

Sorry, when I said allied supply is broken I didn't mean I expected my PP to propagate through my ally's supply, I get the reasons for not having that.

I meant that shared systems should provide supply to both empires. I remember quite a long exchange with Geoff on this where he explained the mechanics of tie-breakers, and concluded that this could be done. I thought it had been. Not sure if it's that ticket or a different one.

"Do not share systems" is not an acceptable answer for a credible multiplayer space strategy game, IMO.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#89 Post by Ophiuchus »

Magnate wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:23 pm I meant that shared systems should provide supply to both empires. I remember quite a long exchange with Geoff on this where he explained the mechanics of tie-breakers, and concluded that this could be done. I thought it had been. Not sure if it's that ticket or a different one.
You mean overlapping supply for allies?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Magnate
Space Dragon

#90 Post by Magnate »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:59 am
Magnate wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:23 pm I meant that shared systems should provide supply to both empires. I remember quite a long exchange with Geoff on this where he explained the mechanics of tie-breakers, and concluded that this could be done. I thought it had been. Not sure if it's that ticket or a different one.
You mean overlapping supply for allies?
Depends what you mean by 'overlapping'!

Currently each system is a member of only one supply network (or none). This clearly doesn't work for allies sharing systems, as their PP needs to be available in the shared system. For good reasons we do not allow PP to propagate through allied supply. So the only way for both allies to have PP available in the shared system is if the system is a member of both supply networks. This is what I think FO absolutely needs to implement to allow mp games to work properly.