Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Hyperant
Space Kraken

Re: Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

#61 Post by Hyperant »

Yeah now I can confirm I'm getting issues with the OTP login.

Tried a few dozen times to no avail as the email never got received.
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#62 Post by Oberlus »

Hyperant wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:37 am Yeah now I can confirm I'm getting issues with the OTP login.

Can you make an XMPP account as a workaround?

I guess we all should do it. The few dozen tries might imply a few dozen emails sent (lost somewhere in the Internet), and the service has a limited quota per month so at some point server won't send any more OTPs to anyone.

The XMPP service works much more reliably. It is easy to set up: google a free software client that works well in your OS and a reliable server, set up a free account, and write down the password somewhere just in case because it does not provide "forget your password?" functionality.

o01eg
Programmer

#63 Post by o01eg »

Hyperant wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:37 am Yeah now I can confirm I'm getting issues with the OTP login.

Got issues with mail provider. Try again later.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#64 Post by Oberlus »

I'm getting time out while connecting to server.
Edit: solved.

o01eg
Programmer

#65 Post by o01eg »

I've already met my neighbor. A little strange for tuned universe generator.
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#66 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:23 am I've already met my neighbor. A little strange for tuned universe generator.
I've met both my neighbors.
Please, remind me what was tuned int he universe generation. HS_MAX_JUMP_DISTANCE_LIMIT = 20?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#67 Post by wobbly »

I too have met a neighbor. Though the actual supply lines suggest we aren't as close as it looks

o01eg
Programmer

#68 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:47 am
o01eg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:23 am I've already met my neighbor. A little strange for tuned universe generator.
I've met both my neighbors.
Please, remind me what was tuned int he universe generation. HS_MAX_JUMP_DISTANCE_LIMIT = 20?
Yep https://github.com/o01eg/freeorion/blob ... ons.py#L53

o01eg
Programmer

#69 Post by o01eg »

I merged PR for universe generator from post-release so maybe it doesn't work as expected.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#70 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 pm I merged PR for universe generator from post-release so maybe it doesn't work as expected.
It's working as expected. 28 systems per player are too few to produce galaxies where players can be further away than 10 jumps. The average jump distance between neighboring HWs will be aprox. 8-9 in this game.

To get distances in the 10-15 interval we'd need 50 systems per player. With 100 systems per player most HWs get 15 jumps appart, still some less. To reach 20 distance we'd need... dunno, maybe 200-300 hundred systems per player. Playing low starlanes could improve the odds of getting HWs further appart.
Take into account that putting more systems in the ring galaxy increases the diameter (helping to increase inter-HW distances) but also makes the ring thicker (which doesn't help, or barely).

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#71 Post by Hyperant »

Tis a dry season

The Ensign's Gazette

Normally one would expect a life of thrills, marauding and plundering, but so far in these last few weeks one thing was made clear.

Theres bloody nothing out there!.

Not a single shore among these endless seas, and even more outrageous, not a single mercantile vessel to raid. However, this may change soon. Representatives of the faction known as the Bionic Pot Collective had sent us a proposal. In exchange for safety for their merchant ships, they will grant us the right to use their planets as launching off points for raids on other merchant ships, an agreement that we were all too eager to sign on to. After all, being a pirate isn't all about raiding and plunder, it also involves taking advantage of situations when they arise.

Meanwhile to the west, the schooner Bester has detected signs of radio traffic. Perhaps hunting season is among us.
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#72 Post by Oberlus »

To the Frost Syndicate:

We the Abyssal Commonwealth regret to inform you that one of your frigates entered our space and started shooting at our army, which was forced to return the fire and destroyed your ship.
We would like to get to good terms with your people, if that is possible. We love peace, cooperation and still waters. Please, let us know what's your desire.

Glaze from the Abyss.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#73 Post by wobbly »

So ships and fighters are x6 but what about planetry defences are these still the old numbers? Also what do alliances do? I'm used to ignoring that in single player. Shared supply? Is scouting shared?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#74 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:04 am So ships and fighters are x6 but what about planetry defences are these still the old numbers? Also what do alliances do? I'm used to ignoring that in single player. Shared supply? Is scouting shared?
Planetary defences should be scaled too, but not that single shield point from start. We'll see it when we get our first planetary shield or defence upgrade (in single player it's been tested and works fine).

Alliance mechanics are very important:
- Allied vision: you see what your ally sees.
- Allied supply: you won't run out of fuel in your ally's supply lines.
- Allied repair: when enabled (which I think it is for this game), your ships will be able to use the repair facilities and repair techs of your ally.
- Gifting: you can right-click on a planet, ship or fleet and gift it to another empire that has assets in the same system. AFAIK this isn't limited to allies, empires in peace can do it too, but empires in war don't have the option.

Allied vision is powerful for double-fast scouting of galaxy. Coupled with allied supply allows to colonize much further away planets, faster. Gifting allows you to share species early on, which can be OP. Allied combat is also OP: two empires vs one is a real PITA for the single one. All this, but specially the latter, makes diplomacy very important in multiplayer games.

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#75 Post by Hyperant »

Oh they done it this time

The Ensign's Gazette

The esteemed frigate the Snap was lost yesterday with all hands on deck after being confronted by the Abyssal Commonwealth forces, after it raided several commonwealth merchant ships. With our loot being stolen, we issue an ultimatum to the Commonwealth.

Give us back our loot, give us free reign over all your merchant ships, allow us to use your planets as resupply bases, and finally pay a hefty daily tribute to us, or we will have your leader walk the plank.

Arrrrrgh!
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate