Snowflake Inaccurate Damage

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
UrshMost
Space Kraken

Snowflake Inaccurate Damage

#1 Post by UrshMost »

I have savegame where a snowflake on the turn before combat shows that it will do 10.1 damage from its "Large Laser" which should have killed my ship with structure of 30. Actual combat on the next turn resulted in the snowflake doing 3 turns of 9.9 damage allowing my ship to survive.

looking at freeoriond.log:
part meters: SR_ICE_BEAM METER_MAX_CAPACITY: 10.05 SR_ICE_BEAM METER_MAX_SECONDARY_STAT: 1 SR_ICE_BEAM METER_CAPACITY: 9.9 SR_ICE_BEAM METER_SECONDARY_STAT: 1

looking at the combat section of the log:
"Attacker Ship has direct weapon: SR_ICE_BEAM attack: 9.9"

Is this an issue that I should open or is there something else going on?
save-20200529_153418.zip
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 92 times
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

Re: Snowflake Inaccurate Damage

#2 Post by ThinkSome »

I've seen this happen numerous times.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Snowflake Inaccurate Damage

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

UrshMost wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:38 pmIs this an issue that I should open or is there something else going on?
I guess this is an issue. Probably this is because of damage growth and the value shown is predicting next turns damage. Prediction is right for industry and especially focus-based stuff (you want to see what the result of your focus selection is), but wrong for combat values because of the timing when effects apply (it probably should show the last change, not the next one). Because that is confusing, i added the next-combat-your-weapons-have-higher-damage sitrep to the weapon tech upgrades.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!