Ship stealth is wrong

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Ship stealth is wrong

#16 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:34 pm
Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:49 pm
ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:29 pm Why workarounds when it could just be fixed instead?
I mean: while it's not "fixed".
I do not see any issue in our issue tracker(?). If this not directly fixed and there is no issue tracker such a thing tends to be forgotten and not fixed at all.
I don't think it needs fixing. I guess there is some reason for compilations/updates to overwrite config files. Even if there isn't, I'm happy with persistent_config.file (easy to use as pointed out by swaq). It is ThinkSome who complains about this from time to time in chatroom but won't open an issue for it because he has a problem with GitHub.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#17 Post by adrian_broher »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:43 pm It is ThinkSome who complains about this from time to time in chatroom
Ah, so he's that specing guy?
Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:43 pm … but won't open an issue for it because he has a problem with GitHub.
Tough luck, then the issue will be forgotton for certain.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:43 pmI guess there is some reason for compilations/updates to overwrite config files.
The idea is that config.xml will be kept and settings remembered and used for subsequent executions of the same version of FreeOrion, but if changing versions, the settings revert to defaults because not doing that lead to a bunch of issues in the past. But people who regularly switch between versions, such as users of weekly test builds, wanted a way to get settings to be remembered even when changing versions, for which persistent_config.xml was created.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#19 Post by ThinkSome »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:43 pm.. because he has a problem with GitHub.
I don't have a problem with Github, I have a problem with proprietary software being used to develop free software, and it being forced upon all contributors. This is deplorable.

If you allow Github, then where do you draw the line?

adrian_broher wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:02 pm
Yes. where did you find me? I thought I had only used this nickname while interacting with FO (except on IRC).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#20 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:35 pm Yes. where did you find me? I thought I had only used this nickname while interacting with FO (except on IRC).
I was wondering what specing guy means and I found out you've been already behated in some other FOSS games forums for being TireSome, derailing threads with off-topic mentions to the spring engine and demeaning the job of devs in those games.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#21 Post by Ophiuchus »

ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:35 pm
Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:43 pm.. because he has a problem with GitHub.
I don't have a problem with Github, I have a problem with proprietary software being used to develop free software, and it being forced upon all contributors. This is deplorable.

If you allow Github, then where do you draw the line?
We draw the line when the dev team/ the community thinks it needs to be drawn. If we think github is too evil/demanding, we switch to another repository. Nothing in github cant be redone without much effort if it is relevant. Just use a throw-away email address to make an account.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#22 Post by ThinkSome »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:17 pm
My "crime" being refusal to conform to the status quo. I am a SpringRTS infra dev, and SpringRTS was probably mentioned there for comparison purposes. I believe that the libre gaming community has to work together to succeed and that means both idea and code reuse. Having a shared player base would not be bad, either.
Last edited by ThinkSome on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:15 am
Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:17 pm
My "crime" being refusal to conform to the status quo. I am a SpringRTS infra dev, and SpringRTS was probably mentioned there for comparison purposes. I believe that the libre gaming community has to work together to succeed and that means both idea and code reuse.
Your "crime" being also the way you expess yourself, sometimes. You are just the opposite of polite. And also off-topic more often than not.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#24 Post by ThinkSome »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:16 am
I admit that this is true, yes.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#25 Post by ThinkSome »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:03 am
That is your choice, of course. My choice is to wait for that switch to happen (hopefully the next host will not be closed source) and to use this forum until then.

For the record, I have had a Github account for the past 5 years or so, but I discontinued its use for libre software.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#26 Post by Vezzra »

ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:32 pmIn any case, if the GUI shows the storm is not there and ships still have the stealth, then that is a bug. Players don't care about the technical reasons for this being so and neither do I. It is a bug.
This is a known issue (at least for those who have been around long enough). I've complained about that particular behaviour too actually, already a few years ago. It is one of those million small things that will only get resolved once someone gets so annoyed by it that they will do something about it (that is, providing a patch).

Don't know if an issue has ever been opened for this one. Probably should.