GuiguiBaah Music

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#46 Post by Geoff the Medio »

guiguibaah wrote:As I understand it, most composers use Macs - perhaps the sound generated from them is nicer?
Most pencil, paper and piano composers' computers I've seen were Macs... but that doesn't indicate anything about the sound quality, as they certainly weren't using them to compose...
(Rather, they like to send out emails with the date set to 1970 because their clock battery has died and they have the thing pugged into a power bar to turn it on / off, so the clock is reset every time they use it...)

((Ok, maybe I'm overgeneralizing on that last bit...))

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#47 Post by StratCaster »

not the sound, just the tools and the applications (and some would say the platform itself).

I've been a PC user as long as I can remember. I just got into the Mac world a couple years ago. I use both, but mostly I use the Mac for music. Macs are generally more geared towards professionals and less for your everyday user. Plus it basically runs on a UNIX base, so if you are familiar with unix you can feel right at home spawning a command shell...
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

Re: Site for Soundfonts

#48 Post by LithiumMongoose »

guiguibaah wrote:If one uses a Mac, they can visit this site that has a lot of reason / refill samples at http://www.dorumalaia.com/freerefillswavsamples.htm I wish there was a refill to soundfont (or gigastudio) converted. Boo :(
I'm pretty sure OS X has native Soundfont support too.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#49 Post by StratCaster »

hey Gui

I was just listening to the 'Ancients' track.

Great melody and harmony. You also develop it nicely, but I was wondering why after the last chord (before the end) you end on FA (4th degree)?

It seems really out of place... just wondering... its just popped out at me since I wanted to hear DO (or the root) in the final cadence.
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#50 Post by LithiumMongoose »

StratCaster wrote:It seems really out of place... just wondering... its just popped out at me since I wanted to hear DO (or the root) in the final cadence.
Gui delights in causing you frustration and confusion Strat. He thrives off it, it gives him life, it... <ahem> Nevermind. <crawls back under his rock>

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Re: GuiguiBaah Music

#51 Post by guiguibaah »

Wow - I still have my old Login information, despite it being over 12 years since I last posted :)
(For context - I just fired up a really old computer I used to use, and lo-and-behold my webbrowser was open to this site.)

Anyway, yes, my Ancients track was actually a loosely-arranged remix of Master-of-Orion 2's galaxy song.
(Found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwvx3qdVa-o)

I still have them kicking around as .mp3 and their corresponding .wav formats.

I'm not much into the music scene these days unfortunately, when most of my MIDI equipment was damaged by a pet rabbit - but I would love to learn from some of today's composers what software they use nowadays.

Good to see the project is still alive! Take care!
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

The Silent One
Graphics

#52 Post by The Silent One »

GuiguiBaah, it's good to see you around after all those years; try out the game in its current state, and by all means, get hooked (again). :wink:
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#53 Post by Vezzra »

Oh hey, wow! It's always nice to see one of the FO "pioneers" drop by. :D
guiguibaah wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:46 pmI still have them kicking around as .mp3 and their corresponding .wav formats.
Do you have those of all the pieces you did for FO? Because the links in the OP seem to be all dead (well, no surprise, considering their age... ;)). It would be nice if we could recover them.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#54 Post by StratCaster »

hey guiguibaah, I just saw your response to my 14 year old post and now its over a year later! haha too bad you aren't still into music, you definitely have a knack for it!

I'm actually making a game and wouldn't mind using your victory.mp3, I'd probably rerecord it, I just really like what you wrote. I'd like to give you credit as well, I don't know your real name. PM me if it's okay.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#55 Post by StratCaster »

btw I have some of these old tracks that guiguibaah made if anyone is still interested...

I have:

-tray
-ancients (the best track)
-jumbo
-combat
-warhorn (a rearrangment of one of my tunes)
and maybe more, I have to look...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#56 Post by Vezzra »

StratCaster wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:54 ambtw I have some of these old tracks that guiguibaah made if anyone is still interested...
If those are assets that guiguibaah made for FO, then yes, it would be much appreciated if you could provide them here. Would be nice if we could recover lost assets...

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#57 Post by StratCaster »

Vezzra wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:17 pm If those are assets that guiguibaah made for FO, then yes, it would be much appreciated if you could provide them here. Would be nice if we could recover lost assets...
here's what I found:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12NE8k ... RjXrxqLm4M

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tvFiYp ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uOaEIm ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jF3um ... L3TGjbcIsh

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gq1SSA ... sp=sharing

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#58 Post by Vezzra »

Thanks, I've downloaded these MP3s. Would have been a shame if they were lost... just to be sure, GuiguiBaah did release them under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license as required by the project, right?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#59 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:32 amGuiguiBaah did release them under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license as required by the project, right?
I don't see a clear license statement about that, but I just emailed him to ask for clarification.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#60 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:25 pmI don't see a clear license statement about that, but I just emailed him to ask for clarification.
Thanks!