options to facilitate testing

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

Re: options to facilitate testing

#61 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

For AI we have option to switch path where code is located. Is there same for turn_event and universe_generation?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#62 Post by Dilvish »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:For AI we have option to switch path where code is located. Is there same for turn_event and universe_generation?
There are not, at least not right now. Of course, you can just specify a whole new resource directory. Part of the justification for adding those dedicated optoins for the AI code was to support some more automated testing of multiple variants of AI code. I'm not aware of anyone planning to do something like that for these things.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#63 Post by Vezzra »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:For AI we have option to switch path where code is located. Is there same for turn_event and universe_generation?
What purpose would be served by such an option for the server-side Python scripts?

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#64 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Vezzra wrote:
What purpose would be served by such an option for the server-side Python scripts?
I see 3 places there user defined mods can be created: AI, turn_events and universe_generation.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#65 Post by Vezzra »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:I see 3 places there user defined mods can be created: AI, turn_events and universe_generation.
Ah, I see, that's where you're coming from. Well, I think there's a misunderstanding. The option for switching AI paths is not intended for creating mods, but, as Dilvish already explained:
Dilvish wrote:Part of the justification for adding those dedicated optoins for the AI code was to support some more automated testing of multiple variants of AI code. I'm not aware of anyone planning to do something like that for these things.
And later on (as is my guess), we might want to support different AI "brains" within the same "mod", that's not something that applies to the server-side Python scripts.

User defined "mods" are done by creating customized copies of the entire "default" folder. Everything in there is meant to be customizable. The location of this resource directory can already be changed in the options dialog, and AFAIK also passed as a command line option. So basically FO is already equipped with everything needed to create user "mods". Of course, at some (still unknown) point in the future we might want to add a more convenient user interface to select your "mod" when you start a game.

We might also want to implement some mechanism that allows users to only put customized content in a "mod" folder, and fall back on "default" for everything else, so you don't have to maintain a complete copy of all the contents of the default folder, when you just want to customize only a few selected things (adding a tech, tweaking universe generation a bit, etc.). That, too, will probably happen at some point, but isn't a priority now.