SidePanel system resource summary placement

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

vincele
Space Dragon

SidePanel system resource summary placement

#1 Post by vincele »

Hello,

I created the bugs 561 and 562 because something seemed wrong to my eye in the placement of the SRS (system resource summary).

The 2 bugs and related patches are independent of each other.

I took a couple of screen shots with and without rendered planets and zooming in, I found that:

* SRS was overlaid with the scrollbar frame contour. I thought it was an oversight (off-by-some)

* SRS placement on top of the rendered planets was not optimal/useful, especially when not showing the planets. And since it is small (only 3 icons with numbers) it would be simpler to always put it inside the frame, just over the scrolled planet panels. I tried to make it follow the option to display the planets but found that more complex for no gain.

The patches and screenshots are in the individual bug reports.

So, what to do about this
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

vincele
Space Dragon

Re: SidePanel system resource summary placement

#2 Post by vincele »

vincele wrote:SRS was overlaid with the scrollbar frame contour.
You'll have to zoom in and beware of the transparency, but at the edges, the frame border (a white line) is hidden behind SRS...
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.

Mitten.O
Programmer

#3 Post by Mitten.O »

On 562:
I feel that planet - patch looks less weird that noplanet - nopatch,
therefore if planet and noplanet are equally important, the patch would be an improvement in total.
As far as I can fathom, the motivation for the option to hide the planet renders in the first place is to make the side panel narrower,
which would make it desirable for it to consistently make it narrower.

On 561:
I can up with an unreasonable number of options what to do there and arguments for and against each one,
which sums up to neutrality, I guess.
Any code by me in this post is released under GPL 2.0 or later.

vincele
Space Dragon

#4 Post by vincele »

Hello,
Mitten.O wrote:On 562:
therefore if planet and noplanet are equally important, the patch would be an improvement in total.
As far as I can fathom, the motivation for the option to hide the planet renders in the first place is to make the side panel narrower, which would make it desirable for it to consistently make it narrower.
I'm on a small screen (and low CPU/GPU) so noplanet is more important in that case, I can imagine it's the other way on current hardware, you'll want the eye candy since you have ample space for it. My motivation also came from the *PU side of things, because I though not doing something (not displaying nor rendering planets) is always cheaper than doing it, but that has not been proven in that case...
Wait, I just did a quick test, and the gain is ~2FPS, which translates to 10% on this HW, so I'll stick without planets...
Mitten.O wrote:On 561:
I can up with an unreasonable number of options what to do there and arguments for and against each one,
which sums up to neutrality, I guess.
My argument is only that widgets should not be put in front of each other, and that may well be a matter of taste...