Patches for GiGi

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

rah
Space Floater

Patches for GiGi

#1 Post by rah »

Hi there,

I'm trying to compile GiGi. There are a number of issues. Having fixed some, I've noticed that I've actually repeated some of the work that's already been done here:

http://sourceforge.net/p/gigi/patches/

Can I ask tzlaine why these patches haven't been committed? And similarly, what I should do with my patches so that they get committed?

Regards,

rah

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Patches for GiGi

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

You can ask, but since tzlaine hasn't been on the forums in over a year, or done anything with GiGi code in two and a half, I wouldn't expect a prompt reply.

You might consider using the GiGi fork within FreeOrion's own SVN repository: http://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/code ... eOrion/GG/

It's built as part of FreeOrion, with FreeOrion's CMake scripts.

rah
Space Floater

#3 Post by rah »

Geoff the Medio wrote:It's built as part of FreeOrion, with FreeOrion's CMake scripts.
In that case, can I suggest removing GiGi from the list of requirements in the compilation instructions? I've been trying to compile it because it's listed as a requirement. If I'd known that the GiGi version in the FreeOrion tree is built as part of FreeOrion, I wouldn't have bothered and saved myself a lot of work.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Did you miss the part that says "The code for these is included in the FreeOrion SVN repository, but they must be built as separate libraries." ?

rah
Space Floater

#5 Post by rah »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Did you miss the part that says "The code for these is included in the FreeOrion SVN repository, but they must be built as separate libraries." ?
No; are you implying that the sentence should be taken to mean one shouldn't try to compile GiGi?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#6 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Did you miss the part that says "The code for these is included in the FreeOrion SVN repository, but they must be built as separate libraries." ?
Taking a look at it myself, it seems a bit understandable that someone might interpret that sentence as only applying to " Including GiGiOgre and the GiGiOgre OIS plugin". I expect that those instructions originated when the user had to initiate the building of GiGi as a distinct process prior to building FO. At least, I know that AdrianBroher (I think it was him) has merged the GiGi cmake/make build process into the FO cmake/make build process and had thought he did something similar for Windows and MacOS, but correct me if I'm wrong about those latter ones.

Perhaps a better instruction would be to move the GiGi entry to the bottom, separated by a blank line, and reword it something like

Code: Select all

GiGi (FreeOrion branch)- The code for the FreeOrion branch of GiGi, including GiGiOgre and the GiGiOgre OIS plugin, is included in the FreeOrion SVN repository and is now automatically built as part of the FreeOrion build process, but it may still be used separately and is mentioned here as an acknowledgement of the GiGi project.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

rah
Space Floater

#7 Post by rah »

Dilvish wrote:and is mentioned here as an acknowledgement of the GiGi project.
The page contains technical instructions for compiling software. IMHO, this is not the place for a dedication. In fact, such an entry detracts from the page's purpose by introducing an unnecessary complication.

rah
Space Floater

#8 Post by rah »

This page would be an appropriate place for a dedication. However that page needs cleaning up as well. In particular, the part which says "For compilation of the most recent version of FreeOrion from SVN, use the most recent version of GiGi from SVN as well."

maxand
Space Floater

#9 Post by maxand »

Pardon a newbie question, but how much does FO use GiGi at present and how much uses Ogre3D? In view of tzlaine's apparent absence, is there any move to replace GiGi with Ogre 3D or has this already been done? In other words is it worthwhile for newcomers to FO programming (like me) to learn about GiGi or can one avoid it completely? Or are the two completely separate?

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

maxand wrote:...how much does FO use GiGi at present...
Extensively. The whole UI is built on GG.
...how much uses Ogre3D?
The actually playable game doesn't really use the Ogre3D engine for anything, but the window creation, and various reactions to events with windows, is built around the GG-Ogre code. The (problematic / buggy) user-input code is also an Ogre plugin (OIS).
In view of tzlaine's apparent absence, is there any move to replace GiGi with Ogre 3D...
That doesn't make sense... Ogre and GG do different things. One can't replace the other.
...is it worthwhile for newcomers to FO programming (like me) to learn about GiGi or can one avoid it completely?
If you want to modify the UI, you'll probably need to look at some GG or GG-derived code.

maxand
Space Floater

#11 Post by maxand »

Thanks for explaining that.