convincing GiGi to build with other gcc

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

harm
Space Floater

convincing GiGi to build with other gcc

#1 Post by harm »

Hi,

I am going through some pains to get FreeOrion to compile and I actually got scons to pass all the checks but now I have an error like this

Code: Select all

client/human/../../UI/CUIControls.h:64: error: 'CLICKABLE' is not a member of 'GG::Wnd'
Am many more of his friends. Many many more.
But I suspect it has to do with the gcc version I used to compile GiGi(this is an obvious GG error I think). I used 4.0something and it worked but when I was compiling log4cpp 4.0 gave me a hard time and switching back to 3.3 fix the problem.
Is there a way to convince scons to use 3.3 instead of 4.0? I have both installed on my system (debian unstable).
Thanks in advance.

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte »

Zach is updating GG and now FO too. Maybe you got your code in between cvs updates.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

harm
Space Floater

#3 Post by harm »

What do you exactly mean? You think that if I where to update to the newest CVS source this nastly problem goes away? The changes are rather slim that this scenario really happened right?

harm
Space Floater

#4 Post by harm »

I am using the CVS version of GiGi because the official released tar ball 0.6.0 did not(and does not) compile. But I read just about everwhere that I should be using the official release. And again I think the problem is that I tried to compile the official release with gcc version 4.0.x.
So if I can't compile the official release with gcc 4 and I cant use the cvs version of gigi that means I am out of luck? :roll:

noelte
Juggernaut

#5 Post by noelte »

Guessing based on your error message, i would say GG and FO are out of sync. Getting CVS sources right now might be difficult ...

I don't think the error is related to gcc.
Can COWs fly?

harm
Space Floater

#6 Post by harm »

Aha, I see what you mean. And I indeed noticed that getting the sources now is next to impossible. I keep getting connection refused messages. Why is getting the sources now so difficult?

noelte
Juggernaut

#7 Post by noelte »

connection refuses are another issue.
Can COWs fly?

harm
Space Floater

#8 Post by harm »

That is just becasue SF is busy right?

harm
Space Floater

#9 Post by harm »

Dammit! Sorry. I did get access to the CVS repositories from both GiGi and FreeOrion. So I downloaded and them, compiled GiGi (with gcc 4.0) and then tried to compile FO. It got further than the first time. So there was a discrepancy between GG and FO. Unfortunately the problem persists. I did notice something while compiling a warning saying I was using libstdc++.so.6 instead of libstdc++.so.6 and that this might lead to problems. After some searching I again noticed that this is a difference between gcc 3.3 and 4.0. Is there any way to get scons to use 3.3 instead of 4.0?

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by tzlaine »

As of right now, yoiu should be using the latest Subversion files for GG and FO. They are synched up and work for non-Win32 builds. The Win32 fix is in the works now.

harm
Space Floater

#11 Post by harm »

Arrrrr are we using Subversion now? That is great I like it a lot better then CVS but how should I get those sources then? If the CVS and Subversion versions are all the same then I got those build just ~8 hours ago.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

harm wrote:...how should I get those sources then?
You might take a look at:

http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=75752

tzlaine also emailed me this url:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/ ... svn.forcvs

harm
Space Floater

#13 Post by harm »

Aha! I got it, the sources I mean and I even got everything to compile! So after I solved some library files gone missing I typed ./freeorion and...... got a segmentation fault. No other output just that. Are there any other commandline switches I could try?
Thanks anyway for the great help and responsiveness!

harm
Space Floater

#14 Post by harm »

Ow the exit code is 139. That might say something.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by tzlaine »

harm wrote:Ow the exit code is 139. That might say something.
I have no idea what that exit code in particular means. Could you GG and FO rebuild with 'scons debug=1', run it in gdb, and post the stack trace at the segfault?