Gyisache

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Josh
Graphics

Re: Gyisache

#31 Post by Josh »

Yeah that's fine. As long as fighters, bombers and ships aren't the same thing.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#32 Post by Tortanick »

utilae wrote:My thought is that each Gyisache individual has his own little ship, which funnily enough is fighter size. This means that everyone on a larger ship has their own fighter onboard, so they can escape if the ship they are on is about to be destroyed or in great danger. I'm not sure how this would work in gameplay terms. But hopefully it makes more sense now.
Actually I find myself more confused by this. I could see them having an escape ship but I just can't see them leaving the herd and flying a smaller, weaker ship towards the enemy.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#33 Post by utilae »

Tortanick wrote:
utilae wrote:My thought is that each Gyisache individual has his own little ship, which funnily enough is fighter size. This means that everyone on a larger ship has their own fighter onboard, so they can escape if the ship they are on is about to be destroyed or in great danger. I'm not sure how this would work in gameplay terms. But hopefully it makes more sense now.
Actually I find myself more confused by this. I could see them having an escape ship but I just can't see them leaving the herd and flying a smaller, weaker ship towards the enemy.
They won't fly a smaller weaker ship (the fighter or similar size) towards the enemy, unless they are in a nice size group of these fighters. I was talking about them fleeing battle.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#34 Post by Tortanick »

With utilae's permission I'd like to present the Black Gyisache Squadron (an obvious homage to the rumoured black Spathi Squadron) a literally fearless and insanely violent band of pirates who roam the Orion sector causing causing bloody mayhem. Like most Gyisache who lack there race's characteristic cowardliness the Black Gyisache are clinically insane. Like a lot of my work they're also useing placeholder names.

Alice and Bob

(note, Alice and Bob share a body. While both think Bob is older Alice was the original inhabitant)

Bob may come across as cold but he genuinely cares about the people under his care, Alice however has a special place in his heart, Bob's entire life literally revolves around keeping Alice happy and safe, to this end he founded the black Gyisache squadron as a relatively safe outlet for Alice's limitless aggression, if he wanted to fight Bob made sure he'd fight with heavy weaponry and squadmates at his side.
In battle Bob is a competent tactician, although relatively inexperienced at strategy, he tends to take a command role while leaving the actual fighting to Alice.

Alice was practically a stillborn and spent the first several years of her life in a vegetative state due to brain damage. While doctors were eventually able to fix enough for him to leave the bed mental oddities would follow Alice for the rest of his life, the most prominent of these was that the all-encompassing fear that plagued Gyisache society manifested itself instead as aggression, had Alice been born on Miziu he'd almost certainly have died the first time he tried to attack one of the many carnivores that migrate annually from the lowlands, however life on the colonies wasn't quite as dangerous and while Alice survived his permanent aggression frequently landed him in deep trouble; to cope with repeated injury as well as being very badly adjusted for the world Alice created an imaginary friend Bob who'd help him deal with the world and take any blows meant for Alice. Over time Bob grew into a full split personality and Alice normally takes a back seat while Bob controls the body.
In battle Alice doesn't particularly care how he fights so long as he wins, in practice Alice's tactics vary depending on what Bob thinks is best for the situation, however unlike many in the Black Gyisache Squadron Alice's fighting style is designed to keep him alive.

Tiny

Tiny hasn't got any single issue, but rather he is the result of several different traits: An inability to feel pain, a hedonistic nature, a fondness for physical action and a utter lack of empathy or even comprehension that his views aren't universal. He also has dwarfism. The result of these is that Tiny lacks fear, enjoys a good fight and is unable to understand that the people he kills don't see it as a fun game like he dose. Tiny was invited to join the Black Gyisache Squadron by Bob and having the time of his life, he doesn't turn on the his squadmates because as Bob explained “its more fun to play teams”
In battle Tiny's fighting style is what you'd expect from someone can't feel pain and simply wants to have fun: he charges right in using his small size and speed to stay within enemy ranks where he's almost impossible to fight without friendly fire.

Melvin

Of all the Black Gyisache Squadron Melvin is probably the one who suffered the most from his mental issues: the more Melvin feels, be it a physical feeling or an emotional one, the weaker that feeling becomes, over time he simply can't feel it at all. By the time he was a young adult the regular feelings of day to day life were lost and desperate to feel anything at all Melvin turned to self harm, eventually blinding himself in two eyes before he could no longer feel pain. Eventually the feelings of battle became the last Melvin could feel and he signed up with the Black Gyisache Squadron in search of combat.
While at first Melvin's fighting style was that of a reasonably talented yet inexperienced fighter as the feeling of battle started to fade Melvin became more and more reckless, now he fights every battle as though he was trying to get himself killed rarely making the slightest attempt to avoid incoming fire. Melvin has a suicide pact with his Squadmates, the day he feels nothing in battle they'll kill him although the way he fights its unlikely he'll live long enough.
While all the Black Gyisache Squadron tend to have quite a few scars Melvin is in a league of his own: One eye is a cybernetic implant replacing a lost eye from his self mutilation days, the other mutilated eye, along with the entire eye-stalk and the lower jaw have been blown off in combat, along side a chunk of his right flank and one leg.

In gameplay terms I can think of two ways they could work, either they'll act as a rare random event, basically a rarer but much worse equivalent of pirates, or they'll act as ship leader like in Master of Orion 2:
Alice and Bob will have a tactics bonus (not sure what that dose), a small leadership bonus, a small weapons bonus and the battlelust bonus: a buff to all stats when the ship is in combat.
Tiny will have a short range weapons and a fighter bonus and battlelust.
Melvin will get a major defensive bonus, some sort of stoicism bonus that mitigates performance loss in a damaged ship and a sadistic bonus that gives a buff to all stats after destroying a ship, value and duration is proportional to the ships cost.
All Black Gyisache get the fearless bonus: never retreat even if ordered, and being a herd animal this may spread to nearby ships, then again since each ship is an entire heard maybe not.
Last edited by Tortanick on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#35 Post by utilae »

Great stuff. I like your characters, hehe they are funny and strange. But will no doubt be good in battle.

Yea, I like the idea of leaders, and a special is also good. Kind of like the Antarans in Moo2.

Good going so far. Don't know how the darkness of this story and characters will fit in with FreeOrion, but I am sure it can handle some dark tones story wise.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#36 Post by Tortanick »

Glad to hear you like it :)