Happybirthday

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Sloth
Content Scripter

Re: Happybirthday

#16 Post by Sloth »

I still think the Happybirthday are ready to be added. I haven't tested them, but labgnome's scripts look fine (there is only one little error in the stringtables: [BAD_INDUSTRY]]). The chosen picture also fits the description.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#17 Post by Sloth »

OK, after writing i didn't test them i felt like i should. Here is a working version of the scripts:

Code: Select all

Species
    name = "SP_HAPPY"
    description = "SP_HAPPY_DESC"
    gameplay_description = "SP_HAPPY_GAMEPLAY_DESC"
    Native
    CanProduceShips
    CanColonize

tags = [ "ROBOTIC" "TELEPATHIC" "AI_TAG_GOOD_RESEARCH" "AI_TAG_BAD_POPULATION" "AI_TAG_GREAT_SUPPLY" ]

foci = [
        [[HAS_INDUSTRY_FOCUS]]
        [[HAS_RESEARCH_FOCUS]]
        [[HAS_GROWTH_FOCUS]]
        [[HAS_MINING_FOCUS]]
        [[HAS_ADVANCED_FOCI]]
    ]

preferredfocus = "FOCUS_RESEARCH"

effectsgroups = [
        [[BAD_INDUSTRY]]
        [[GOOD_RESEARCH]]

[[BAD_POPULATION]]
        [[AVERAGE_HAPPINESS]]
        [[GREAT_SUPPLY]]
        [[BAD_GROUND_TROOPS]]

[[BAD_STEALTH]]
        [[GOOD_DETECTION]]

// not for description
        [[AVERAGE_PLANETARY_SHIELDS]]
        [[AVERAGE_PLANETARY_DEFENSE]]
    ]

[[OCEAN_NARROW_EP]]

graphic = "icons/species/ichthyoid-06.png"
stringtable:

Code: Select all

SP_HAPPY
Happybirthday
SP_HAPPY_GAMEPLAY_DESC
'''Abandoned, lonely underwater robots, programmed to sing "happy birthday" to themselves at regular intervals.
Prefer Ocean planets.
[[encyclopedia ROBOTIC_SPECIES_TITLE]]
[[encyclopedia TELEPATHIC_TITLE]]

[[BAD_INDUSTRY]]
        [[GOOD_RESEARCH]]

[[BAD_POPULATION]]
        [[GREAT_SUPPLY]]
        [[BAD_GROUND_TROOPS]]

[[BAD_STEALTH]]
        [[GOOD_DETECTION]]
        '''

SP_HAPPY_DESC
'''Description: Robotic exploration submersibles.
Though some have more bulky and blocky forms, most happybirthdays are streamlined and somewhat fish-like in shape. They all have one or mare cameras and manipulator arms, usually forward facing. They also host a suit of sensors for temperature, vibrations, chemicals, radar, sonar, electrical and magnetic fields, though these often vary from model to model. They are functional in a wide range of temperature and pressure conditions in an aquatic environment.

Any happybirthday can repair any other happybirthday, and their systems often have redundant pars for just such a reason. Sufficiently large groups can fully repair any other member of their kind, and through this same process also make a completely new unit. New units have the same programming as their parents, but a blank memory, to be filled by exploring their environment.

Homeworld: Foreveralone.
A vast and deep ocean planet. It is believed that they were originally created to survey the planet for potential colonization. It is not know why they were abandoned, but theories range from their creators deciding the planet was unsuitable for colonization, to being wiped out for some reason or another. Though the oceans are vast and there are many interesting features and life forms, there is little about the planet they were sent to that would indicate why they were sent to that world in particular.

Social Structure: Codependent.
A lone happybirthday will (psychologically) latch onto the nearest (preferably alien) sentient being and declare their eternal friendship. Their goal to alleviate their loneliness by find another being to be their friend, forever and ever and ever...

Colonization is slow and industry inefficient due to, species-wide depression, sometimes leading to bouts of mass suicide.  However since they don't want to make enemies, and they always want to make new friends they are eager traders.

History: Sad.
Weather it is the initial lonely quest to explore their homeworld, their abandonment by their creators, the interval war, or their quest into space to find friendship, their existence has been a sad, depressing and lonely one.
'''
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

Please create a PR on github.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#19 Post by Sloth »

Vezzra wrote:Please create a PR on github.
I would love to if you can tell me how to do it without messing up my pending PR (the maintenance ship).

Currently when i want to create a new PR:
1. I delete my old git clone and clone a new one.
2. Rebase my local folder.
3. Do the changes in my folder.
4. Commit my changes to local master.
5. Push the commit onto my clone.
6. Create a pull request from the github website.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by MatGB »

If you create a new branch on your local repo, switch to that then use the merge commands to make sure it's just the changes you want in this PR then push it, your github repo will get the new branch and you can merge from there.

On the other hand I was planning on c/ping it into my local copy anyway when I saw you'd tidied the code then pushing it directly, so I'll do that (it took me several attempts to get forking and merging right and I'm still not sure it's working 100% so it's worth practising a bit).

ETA: Done New native species: Happybirthday by Labgnome · freeorion/freeorion@1281208
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#21 Post by Dilvish »

Sloth wrote:4. Commit my changes to local master.
As I've mentioned before, this is the flaw in your process; now you are seeing just an other problem with it. Make a new branch for each new feature you work on.

If you keep your master copy clean you shouldn't have to do those steps of deleting your old one and making a new one-- you can always just keep updating your master branch.

While PRs are pending, if you want to be playing with all your features active, you can also make your own local combo branch where you merge in your other branches.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Sloth
Content Scripter

#22 Post by Sloth »

Thanks for the help!

To try out the process i've created a small PR that fixes additional spaces in the description of the Happybirthdays and exchanged two instances of "-" with "−" for consistency.

Dilvish

#23 Post by Dilvish »

So, these guys canColonize; is there any reason they don't have a colony building, or was it just overlooked?

**edit: I notice now that their description has a reference to their colonization being slow. I would be game to adjust col_bld.py so that their colony building could be slower to build than normal-- how about taking 1.2 times as long, or should it be more like twice as long? I don't think the building should be just left out.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#24 Post by MatGB »

Overlooked, in my test game they only spawned once the other side of the galaxy. Not sure I like changing the colony build time for a one off it should use a standard affect, but they're currently the only ones we'd do it with, 1.2 is probably enough, base 5 turns becomes 6, etc.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#25 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:I would be game to adjust col_bld.py so that their colony building could be slower to build than normal
Don't forget to adjust the build time of colony ships for them accordingly as well. Alternatively, we can make it so that they can't build colony ships, only colony buildings.

Dilvish

#26 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:Don't forget to adjust the build time of colony ships for them accordingly as well. Alternatively, we can make it so that they can't build colony ships, only colony buildings.
The col_bld.py script makes it fairly easy to specify some species variation for the colony buildings. This could be done also for the colony pod parts, but would quickly get messy if we considered doing it for any other species. I think the colony ships fit well enough with the Happybirthday story as it is, and if the slowdown factor is only 1.2 I think people will still strongly prefer the colony buildings, so no need to worry about creating micromanagement pressure.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#27 Post by MatGB »

Possibility—ages back I was working on a species idea that had bad everything except good population and good colonisation, at the time I just gave them Lifecycle Manip because it was the best I could code, but now I could have them change the capacity of their colonies directly.

But how about we have good/bad colonising as a trait, and it either increases/decreases build time or increases/decreases starting colony size? A decrease in starting size would effectively slow down a colony in a similar way, and an increased starting pop is very useful boost.

I would like to introduce that species at some point, they were fun and would work far better with the new mechanics, but it'd be good if it were part of an actual theme.
Mat Bowles

Sloth
Content Scripter

#28 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:But how about we have good/bad colonising as a trait, and it either increases/decreases build time or increases/decreases starting colony size? A decrease in starting size would effectively slow down a colony in a similar way, and an increased starting pop is very useful boost.
Back in 2012 there was a species trait called Health that modified the population growth of colonies. I was not so happy when it was removed.

So i would love to have good/bad colonising as a trait. It would give some of the species a lot of flavor and strategic (dis-)advantages.

I want fast growing Phinnerts!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#29 Post by MatGB »

Note, I'm not proposing anything similar to the old Health mechanic, which, frankly, I never understood.

What I had set was a simple increase in the base population of a colony (so it would be 2 or 4, rather than 1 or 3), given that population growth is a factor of current population and total possible population (I put the formula in a thread somewhere when I last looked it up), starting at a higher pop means you grow faster.

On the other hand, a simple script for species like Phinnert that simply adds population if they're below max would be fairly easy, and it would be an interesting mechanic, I have Phinnert and Tae Ghirus in my current game (plus 5 Happybirthday homeworlds, which is good as I wanted to test them properly), there's no way I'm building a Phinnert colony as is when Tae Ghirus are available. But if Phinnert grew faster that might be an interesting balance.
Mat Bowles

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#30 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:I think the colony ships fit well enough with the Happybirthday story as it is, and if the slowdown factor is only 1.2 I think people will still strongly prefer the colony buildings, so no need to worry about creating micromanagement pressure.
Well, lets see how it works out this way.