Species Write-Ups

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Sloth
Content Scripter

Re: Species Write-Ups

#16 Post by Sloth »

This is a cumulative patch containing the last two patches plus two more write-ups: Sslith and Silexian.

EDIT: Patch is part of the next.
Last edited by Sloth on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#17 Post by Sloth »

This is a cumulative patch containing the last three patches plus two more write-ups: Cray and Eaxaw.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by eleazar »

revision 5694

"many species descriptions by sloth."

eleazar

#19 Post by eleazar »

Bigjoe5 wrote:Gyisache (Yee-Saish)
Geoff the Medio wrote:Regardless of the original intent, if there's a letter in there that's not obviously silent (g before y), I'm going to pronounce it.

And regardless of the original intent, I don't see a way to pronounce "-saish" (seye-sh, say-sh, sah-ish, ?) that would be a sensible interpretation of "-sache".
I don't think English (as weird as it is) has any precedent for "gyi" being pronounced as "yee". However "yee" does feel right in the name of a cowardly species. If you (BigJoe) are attached to the old theoretical pronunciation, recommend a common-sense way to spell it. Though i like the long "e" sound on the end, it also is easy to imagine in a shrill panicked voice.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by yandonman »

Sounds like geisha to me... :P
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Kwayne
Space Krill

#21 Post by Kwayne »

If it matters, I'd recommend changing the name to "Yee-Sachee" or "Yeesa-chee"
Like my scribbles? Got a gallery full of 'em at dA! http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/gallery/

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#22 Post by Dilvish »

Planning for the future, we could leave it a little tricky to know how to pronounce. And when we start doing some inter-empire chat, some of the AI species could have decided mispronunciations (misspellings) of the name, and the Gysache could be noticeably (and vocally) upset about that and in the process make clear how they want the name pronounced (not just spelled). And that's how the player could learn to pronounce the name "correctly" (or not). I would love to hear of a player intentionally misspelling the Gysache name in order to egg them on (perhaps as part of trying to get them to attempt invading a planet at an inopportune time) :lol:

**edit** of course, bearing in mind that empire!=species, still, the predominant species by population could sensibly be used to determine such things
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#23 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:I would love to hear of a player intentionally misspelling the Gysache name in order to egg them on...
Are you suggesting FreeOrion should have a natural language parser (for many different languages / translations) and AIs will respond to type player chat messages?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#24 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Dilvish wrote:I would love to hear of a player intentionally misspelling the Gysache name in order to egg them on...
Are you suggesting FreeOrion should have a natural language parser (for many different languages / translations) and AIs will respond to type player chat messages?
I don't think my particular example would need that -- like many races of the known world, the Gysache could be sensitive to a particular set of names/mispellings, which they would publicize through their complaints about other empires and/or races. Other mispellings would be too different for them to even care about-- they could even clarify that they don't care if someone seems to possibly be using a name so far off it's clearly a mistake. . Searching a string for any of a limited set of particular strings could easily be done without anything near a natural language parser.

But, still probably too limited to be worth the hassle. Was just an idea that popped into my head so I spit it out, unthinking critter I sometimes be. :D
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#25 Post by em3 »

Dilvish wrote:[...]
Still... a nice easter egg. :D
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Sloth
Content Scripter

#26 Post by Sloth »

Two new write-ups: Laenfa and Tae Ghirus.
Attachments

eleazar

#27 Post by eleazar »

revision 5709
"Laenfa and Tae Ghirus write-ups by Sloth."

Sloth
Content Scripter

#28 Post by Sloth »

Two new write-ups: Etty and Kobuntura (+ a little update for the Tae Ghirus).
Attachments

Sloth
Content Scripter

#29 Post by Sloth »

Two new write-ups: Abaddoni and Phinnert.
Attachments

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#30 Post by utilae »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Regardless of the original intent, if there's a letter in there that's not obviously silent (g before y), I'm going to pronounce it.

And regardless of the original intent, I don't see a way to pronounce "-saish" (seye-sh, say-sh, sah-ish, ?) that would be a sensible interpretation of "-sache".

Making things intentionally (and pointlessly?) hard to interpret is another form of vanity spelling and best avoided.
Ah the Gyisache. A species too timid to properly spell their name in a way that lends itself to galactic communication.