Rocks

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Nighthawk
Space Squid

Rocks

#1 Post by Nighthawk »

Sentient rocks that can manipulate the environment by controlling the flow of lava.

+ Research
+Engineering
-- Hostile to farming and lifeforms that cannot survive in an inferno environment.

Description
The Rocks are intellectually bound through the lava found on it's planet surface. They are able to manipulate the environment by controlling it's flow. They are born through the hardening of lava.
They are an aggressive species, they do not appreciate being disturbed by life unlike itself, making it highly unlikely that a non-inferno dwelling species could take advantage of them.
They communicate through magma underground after they root themselves in the ground. Once rooted, they can communicate to any other Rock they have contact with through the magma. They can move and grow through the flow of lava.
They appear as large crystalline structures, and can change color depending on their mood. They have no cells or organs as humanoid species might define them, they use lava and magma to support themselves. No contact with either of those and they rapidly die.

Home-world
The Rock's home-world a world of fire and ash. It's environment is an inferno planet.

Reason for staying
They are firmly rooted into the planet and will also die if not exposed to lava. Furthermore, they are unable to manipulate material in environments even remotely foreign to them, so even if they could be transported from one planet to another, they would be entirely useless.

(edited reason for staying, fleshed out personality)
Last edited by Nighthawk on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

Re: Rocks

#2 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Clever. Im guessing this could fall under a minor species? Or maybe a Easter egg?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#3 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Dart00_Tech wrote:Im guessing this could fall under a minor species?
Nighthawk wrote:Reason for staying...
I think this segment of the description removes all reasonable doubt.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

Well that's a start, but it needs to go further. The "rocks" aren't very much fleshed out, i don't really feel like i have any grasp on their personality, or flavor, etc.

The "reason for staying" is a partly good, but the explanation needed is why an space-faring empire that wants to colonize them elsewhere can't. An emperor (you and me) of a space-faring empire is the guy reading this description after all. The fact that they can't or don't know how to build ships is irrelevant.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#5 Post by Nighthawk »

Alright, I fleshed out the species a bit further, and modified their reason for staying to be purely biological.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#6 Post by Nighthawk »

Question to Eleazar: Do my edits warrant another look? Would you be willing to implement (or show me how to implement) my species into the game?