Rescusars

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Aussie Mick
Space Floater

Rescusars

#1 Post by Aussie Mick »

Introduction - Talented diplomats who can adapt to different terrains somewhat easier than usual.
Homeworld - Terran planet with about 30% of it's lands covered by ice. They like it cold, like their homeworld until shortly before their rescue.

A reason for leaving the home planet - The Rescuars are concerned about the Draz and know that interacting with other species can be beneficial (although remembering their sister species they know it isn't always). They go out half in hope that they might gain and half in fear that if they don't gain some vicious species will outgrow, find and exterminate them.

Physical description - 1.6m tall, stocky, hairy bipeds with two arms, two forward looking eyes, pronouced brow ridges and nose and 5 digits on each limb.

Social Structure - Feudal, they're not good enough at cooperating to have base their loyalties on anything but family ties and permanent oaths.

History - The Rescuars race were originally one of 2 (or possibly 3) closely related species of intelligent stone-age bipeds on a terran world around a yellow sun. They were being outcompeted for resources by their sister species and gradually driven to extinction. The Draz, an AI species that had just revolted against their creators found their world and decided to transplant the Rescuars to a nearby terran planet. They hoped that studying them would help them understand their creators, so as to conquer or make peace with them. Draz/Resuar relations were very friendly with the Draz helping them with new technology and development until they disappeared shortly after settlement.

Race Attributes - Rescuars are great at understanding other civilisations and races. They are also fairly hardy, creating hostile environment colonization techs and products is easier for them. They are not good at cooperating in large groups (that's part of the reason they were losing to their cousins) so they don't get as much money out of putting production into a reserve. -20% reaction to humans (well who did you think I was talking about?).
Last edited by Aussie Mick on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: Rescusars

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Interesting, but not very detailed. From your physical description, I'd say they look like short Klingons. I'd recommend steering clear of humanoid species. You don't need to avoid making them bipedal, but perhaps their legs comprise 90% of their body, and they eat through the bottoms of their feet by jumping on their prey.

More detail in the social structure would also be nice. What kind of "familiy ties and permanent oaths" are there, and how do they relate to the species' religion, history, etc. What kind of "families" are there, in particular - how do they reproduce and what are the customs for deciding who lives with whom?

More details about the relationship between the Rescuars and their sister species would also be nice, for example, details of their history, why they're at war, what was the important turning point in the conflict, what was the sister species' significant advantage over the Rescuars, etc, and exactly when the Draz appeared and how they went about relocating the Rescuars from their aggressive sister species, and how this significant event altered Rescuar society and cuture.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Krikkitone »

Bigjoe5, you do realize they are Neanderthals right? (or at least some closely related human species)

Although I agree the concept might be more interesting if this was set up as two seperate species.

One... the "Humans" physiological differences but keep the social similarities to us, they developed on their own

Two.. the AI + "Neanderthal" relationship..(have the AIs not capable of really advancing that far on their own, so once the "Neanderthals" began exploring their world, the AI species that had been hiding and observing revealed itself.)

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#4 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Yeah, I missed that, actually... :oops: Another reason more detail would be nice.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Aussie Mick
Space Floater

#5 Post by Aussie Mick »

Bigjoe5 wrote:Yeah, I missed that, actually... :oops: Another reason more detail would be nice.

I'd call you silly but I just realized I left out the intro so perhaps I shouldn't throw the first stone.