The Campaign Mode

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Josh
Graphics

Re: The Campaign Mode

#31 Post by Josh »

Hold on a moment.

Why are you using the Silexians? We can't use things that are tied directly into the old storyline, you must know that.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#32 Post by Tortanick »

Because the concept "environmental maintenance robots" is good and and its within out abilities to untie them from the original storyline.

If Underling dosn't like what we've done (sadly he's not here anymore so we can't ask for advice) we could always change the name and create a fully new race based on the original concept.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#33 Post by pd »

Tortanick wrote:[...]sadly he's not here anymore so we can't ask for advice[...]
Last visited: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:00 am

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#34 Post by Tortanick »

Serves me right for not actually checking :oops:

MathGeek
Space Floater

#35 Post by MathGeek »

Tortanick wrote:
MathGeek wrote:but some cataclysm [experimenters?] changed the world. It would have to be slowly, so that their physiology adapted to live on this new world, but they didn't necessarily like the new way the world worked.
How about there solar system traveled into a bad part of space and they had constant meteor impacts for a while, meteor showers also have the advantage of being pretty predictable with a bit of mathematics. They'd have to be reasonably small meteors just to explain how they survived.
Perfect :D I will start working on them soon. Will post in the story board and link to it from here when I finish.
There is no charge for awesomeness ... or attractiveness.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#36 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I just had a couple of ideas:

First, re. the AEIOU: The happiness of the citizens can be related not to how much exploration you're doing at the moment, but to the proportion of star systems within your fuel range that you've currently explored. That way, if you've explored every star system in range, your citizens will be happy until you get some new fuel tech, and if you don't start exploring again right away, their happiness will start to decrease.

Second, re. the Silexians: They need an EP, otherwise, one of two scenarios occurs: either my calculations are broken, or we need 19-20 races, 1-2 of which are environmentally tolerant. So my idea is to give them Barren EP, but also make them environmentally tolerant: That is to say that in all planets except Barren, the environmental conditions are Superb. On Barren planets, environmental conditions are Optimal. This way, environmental tolerance can be a regular racial pick without affecting the fact that the race must have an EP.

Edit: Better idea: All planet types are superb to the Silexians, but only they can only transform Barren planets into Gaia worlds. That way, it's like they have to purge their planets of all life so they can recreate them in an image of perfect beauty. (Naturally, all races would only be able to terraform to Gaia from their EP)
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Underling
Space Squid

#37 Post by Underling »

Tortanick wrote:Because the concept "environmental maintenance robots" is good and and its within out abilities to untie them from the original storyline.

If Underling dosn't like what we've done (sadly he's not here anymore so we can't ask for advice) we could always change the name and create a fully new race based on the original concept.
still here & I love what you're doing. I really liked the idea of environmental robots, as the juxtaposition of the technological and environmental is not the route most people go. Robots always seem to be implacable militarists or industrialists. I thought it would be a bold design concept to have your "hippies" be artificial.

To be frank, I'd mine the old story line for any good ideas. This is an open source project. anything contributed should be understood as being contributed in that vein. If my idea can be of any use to FreeOrion I'm excited to hear that.

Keep on chuggin' away at it, guys!

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#38 Post by Tortanick »

Underling wrote:still here & I love what you're doing. I really liked the idea of environmental robots, as the juxtaposition of the technological and environmental is not the route most people go.
Yes! I too am a big fan of unusual combinations: Hence my robot race who live in a society designed for maximum social bonding, are motivated by a desire to get out into the universe and Live (and have "daddy issues"), or the plant race who've become cyborgs and their idea of "bio-tech" is to stuff the soils with as much fertilisers and chemicals as they can since they're just going to rend it down for fuel later.
Bigjoe5 wrote:First, re. the AEIOU
works for me, but maybe something to stop you from "cheating" by never advancing your fuel tech...

Never mind, not advancing your fuel tech is motive enough. Ultimately the exact mechanics should be created through game play testing, but just providing the AEIOU insit you explore I'm happy to experiment with different set-ups for the details.
Bigjoe5 wrote:Second, re. the Silexians:
I respond on their thread.